canning as in for salsa and pickled
stuff. They wouldn't take pressure
canning. I wouldn't trust the seal more
than one reuse

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Actually think the best time to buy them is when everyone else doesn’t need them. Like March

they get lumped into that trap of being a sometimes “seasonal” item depending on your favorite retailer.

Have to catch them at the onset of early gardening, spring promotions, etc.

Unpredictable inventories are predictable with all the supply chain interruptions and extra humans working from home or laid off with time on their hands.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have plenty.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Soon, folks be stealing them from the local historical society museums if they don't start selling more of them..

Just like yeast and flour shortages, if the Bad People ever let us up from the weight of riots and The Corona, there's going to be a whole lot of unused canning jars going to the local thrift shops when stay at home Karen realizes she really don't like to do all that work and clean up. The yeast and unused flour (with weevils maybe??) will end up on the Waste Management truck on it's way to a dump in the desert.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Probably right.

I bet the food waste these last several months has been yuge.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Karen

TFF

good one Geno

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I keep my flour in the deep freezer, no weevils, and use canning jars for storage of food items but never canned anything, though I do have the pots and stuff.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got some, wife wondered why do I have a few boxes of them in the shop/garage? And I keep a good dozen or so of various sizes in one of the kitchen cupboards. Always using them for temporary storage of stuff, haven't canned anything since we moved here in fall '16. Garden hasn't started producing that much extra yet.

Then my wife started making some different curds, like lemon, pomegranate, and presently there's a lovely cherry one in the fridge.

She now understands why I keep canning jars.

We get a good supply too from our honey usage, the local honey folks put theirs up in mason jars. We go through about a pint of honey a week, easy. Sometimes a whole quart if there's baking going on.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I am pretty sure that you cant get ranch dressing that isn't in a mason jar.

I know for a fact that blue cheese dressing always comes in a mason jar.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Certain sketti sauces too.

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's some serious storage!
The company told me that they clearance them once a year direct. I don't recall when. I think it was around Christmas.

I saved mylar coffee bags with the one way valve.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
While other sheeple were panic buying chit tickets when the COVID-19 first started, I bought a shopping cart full of mason jars. I saw a shortage coming.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Similar around here as well. I started collecting them back in late April. Local Amish store had a couple pallets of them by front door two months ago. Down to two boxes last week. Mark up was something else. $0.25 each for flats. $1.00 each for rings. A dozen new flats and rings would cost as much as a dozen new jars with the flats and rings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've seen them pretty much everywhere that sells them around here. Wife always keeps at least a years supply of lids ahead, just in case. A few years ago, her sister have her about 6 dozen jars, and I told her that I'd put them back somewhere for "hard times." Well, we had a Mennonite neighbor girl cleaning house for us, and she tells wife she's getting married, and is working in order to buy stuff to set up house with, so wife helps her out by giving the canning jars she doesn't think we'll ever need.............which we probably never will, as we have a bunch of extra quart jars. But, we did buy some pint jars this time, as she's started canning more stuff in pints.

So far this year, we've canned 42 quarts of green beans, a recipe of dill pickles, some tenderloin, a recipe of sweet relish, and have some sweet pickles in brine now to can in a few days.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have a bunch of them from when i was making shtine.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by krp
Worse, went to sportsmans and basspro to look for handgun ammo... none... expected that but... no fish hooks, just wanted some small trout bait hooks getting low for the grandkids... none, just a few big specialty hooks... the F?

Kent

Walmart here was picked clean of fishing stuff. Damndest thing I have seen. We dont live on a lake, and its not a shore town. Lotta fishing here, but an entire walmart section picked clean? Weird.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
... of course I could easily restock walmart for a month with what I already have...

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My Wife bought them all! crazy

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Valsdad
The yeast and unused flour (with weevils) will end up on the Waste Management truck on it's way to a dump in the desert.

Weevil Lives Matter

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
In the 70's the IH dealer was ordering the small jars that were used in the H, an M Farmall air cleaners. People were buying those for canning.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
387 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.