24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The gravel thread got me to thinking about this observation.

It's a pure fact.

Dirt/gravel roads get ruts, potholes and washboarded because the vast majority of people don't have a clue how to drive on them.

If you have ruts or potholes showing up, DON'T drive in the same ruts... Move over a bit. Avoid the mud puddles and potholes.

This is a directive I have to remind my wife of often... frown

I know you guys know what I'm talking about.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, and don't hit you brakes hard as you get to a sharp curve, and then accelerate as soon as you get out of it. This leads to a bad case of "washboarding". miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A lot of people don't know how to drive!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A lot of people don't know how to drive!

You just won first prize at the county fair.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The gravel road into my favorite hunting area is a miserable SOB to drive most of the time. Between the townies that have cabins on the mountainside (They are friggin clueless) the dickheads in their side by sides (They go as fast as they can just because they can) to the loggers. Geez! By the time hunting season is here it is a slow crawl for the 24 miles to where I like to hunt. On the bright side it might keep the competition down I guess.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learned by watching the Duke boys!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
As a kid, I had to drive nine miles of gravel road to hit pavement to get to high school. You kinda learn by doing in a case like that.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot of the wash boarding is caused by today's soft suspension vehicles I am told

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father called the Police Jury about some bad mud holes just past my driveway. He can’t log his tracts or cut hay due to the shape of the road right now. Parish maintenance came out to look last week and had to winch their pickup out. They agreed it was maybe time to work on the road. It has cut down traffic from 2-3 vehicles a day to maybe 1.

Now with even more aplomb
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They certainly do up here and they also know how to plow. Today was our annual road day with the handful of folks that use "our" private mile and a quarter. Spring breakup necessitates fixes annually. We have a meeting, agree on where to fix, and get it done.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
My father called the Police Jury about some bad mud holes just past my driveway. He can’t log his tracts or cut hay due to the shape of the road right now. Parish maintenance came out to look last week and had to winch their pickup out. They agreed it was maybe time to work on the road. It has cut down traffic from 2-3 vehicles a day to maybe 1.

I'll bite. What is a Police Jury?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr

I'll bite. What is a Police Jury?

It's like the county commissioners... only with the parish govt. Louisiana has.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JPro, you sure are making our Police Jury look bad.....but, they didn't need any help doing that. Which one represents yall?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I learned to drive on dirt / caliche roads in the Permian Basin. Out there, the appropriate speed is around 60 mph. Swerve for holes and slow down enough so you don't fishtail too much around curves. For some reason, those lease roads are pretty curvy for flat country.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlesore
A lot of the wash boarding is caused by today's soft suspension vehicles I am told

A lot of it is caused by inept grader operators.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Oldman3

JPro, you sure are making our Police Jury look bad.....but, they didn't need any help doing that. Which one represents yall?

The Police Jury here keeps the roads right around the county(parish) seat in pretty good shape but get four or fives miles out and they get pretty rough real quick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's gravel. Actually a layer of gravel.

Slow down.

Somebody $pent a good bit of coin to cover the dirt,
And they want that stone on the road.

Not in the ditch or field.

This applies more to private roads than public.

But really, come on.

The private is 3/4 mile of gravel.

Just how [bleep] quick do you need to cover that?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
There was a Leanin' Tree birthday card, It read, "You have a face that would make a train take a dirt road".

I tried to look it up, one choice was Chelsie Clinton. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,213
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.