Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I know a looonnnnggggg shot and some sold on here just this month CHEAP but all spoken for by the time I seen it. Have been looking for an affordable to me HM2 for several yrs. Well had sold a couple rifles so had the money and finally found a nice CZ 452 and would sure like to buy a couple of affordable bricks of the Eley. By 'affordable' I mean not over $100/brick. Doubt anyone will let go of any for what they paid but willing to pony up more but not outrageous more! Thanks.

Respectfully,
Dennis

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I might have some to spare but it will next week before I can check.

CF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are likely to get more and better responses if you post your ad in the 17HM2 forum on www.rimfirecentral.com

Eley and Remington 17HM2 ammo is the same, except for the color of the plastic tips, and Remington is often a buck or two less expensive than comparable Eley ammo.

Eley discontinued their 17HM2 ammo a long time ago and there are quite a few people who have posted about split case necks on RFC.

I use my remaining stocks of Eley and Remington sparingly to test accuracy potential in new to me rifles and for the 100 to 150 shots that I take at fox squirrels each year.

EDIT: All of the rifles that I've owned in 17HM2 to date have made their best groups with Eley/Remington, so I ration my Eley/Remington to insure that it will last for the rest of my shooting days. I have shot a few hundred rounds of the 15.5 grain Hornady NTX and found that it doesn't shoot as good groups as any of the 17 grain loads in any of the five rifles that I shot it in. I have found that accuracy from both CCI and Hornady 17HM2 ammo can vary from lot to lot. I've only have ammo from one lot of CCI that was consistently accurate, no uncalled flyers, E12Z308, so I only shoot CCI for casual plinking. That said, we all know that every barrel is different and what works well in one barrel might be inconsistent in another barrel.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 06/25/20. Reason: Added comment
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
How many rounds(Brick) are you looking to purchase

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by remingtonclassic
How many rounds(Brick) are you looking to purchase

Sir, 1 or 2 bricks, depending on price of course.

Have read many times how most covet the Eley because of its accuracy over Hornady and CCI so just thought it would be great to find some to mess with. You know gents, want and not need.lol Am I on a needless hunt, I mean how big of a difference is there usually? Do most HM2 chambering shoot the Eley better or just 'some'?

Thanks so much to everyone for help and suggestions. Any other info much appreciated?

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
After shooting
CCI
Eley
Remington
Hornady,All variations of them Including 15.5 NTX

Shooting
Marlins
Savage
4 Thompson Center Contenders
Ruger 77/17 Stainless
CZ 452
Hornady and CCI 17 grain ,I found to be the most accurate overall,
This is only speaking of my experience,

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I have 2 brick of the Eley I'd sell,PM me

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SDWhirlwind: Here is some "miscellaneous info" regarding the Eley 17 Mach2 ammo.
One of my main Ground Squirrel Hunting partners decided he wanted to try the 17 Mach2 about 6 - 7 years ago. He bought a heavy barrel CZ in 17 Mach2 and found a "deal" on 17 Mach2 ammo.
As I recall he bought 10,000 rounds of the Eley 17 Mach2 ammo on sale/close-out with free delivery for under $3.00 (three dollars!) per box!
He and I were at the range one day with his newish CZ and the 17 Mach2 ammo and I witnessed him fire a five shot group at 100 yards measuring just a tad over .250"!!!
Now I am NOT exaggerating one bit - and I have posted this on this forum several times in the past.
As I recall that is THE smallest 5 shot group at 100 yards I have ever witnessed fired with a rimfire Rifle.
Anyway my bucks up friend (retired military intelligence officer and retired gunsmith) immediately began a search for another CZ heavy barrel in 17 Mach2 and more Eley 17 Mach2 ammo.
He found a new in the box CZ 17 Mach2 on the internet and bought it and it came with a rusted almost shut barrel! He and I could NOT believe what we were seeing with his Hawkeye borescope in that barrel.
Off to CZ it went - and they had recently discontinued making Rifles in 17 Mach2 - no barrels available either. They offered him a brand new CZ heavy barrel in 17 HMR as a replacement and he accepted that - what else could he do?
Also no more ELEY ammunition to be found in any quantity - I found a few boxes for him at gunshows and they were $10.00 to $15.00 back in the rimfire shortage time.
He opted for a few boxes of that pricey ammo.
I use the Hornady 17 grain V-Max ammo in my 3 (three) 17 Mach2 heavy barrel Rifles (Anschutz 1502, Kimber SVT [stainless Varmint target] and in my N.E.F. Sportster).
It shoots VERY well for me and I am happy with its lethality and consistency year to year.
I have a couple other Varminting friends who have used and universally admire the Eley 17 Mach2 ammo but of course they are volume shooters and have given up on the Eley.
Good luck in your search and I hope my observations help a tad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have had mixed results with 17 HM2 ammo & the rifles I have shot in that caliber. Eley can shoot very well, but I have had good results with 17 gr Hornady & CCI depending on the rifle. The most consistent I found in 17HM2 was some Federal with 17 gr V-Max, but I am just about out of that ammo. My most recent range trip with my Sako Quad showed best group at 100 yards with new CCI, then Eley, then Hornady - all with 17 gr. V-Max bullet. Tried the Hornady with 15.5 NTX & it was by far the worst groups. Anyway, if you find Eley - good, but if not try some new CCI or Hornady & you should still be good to go. Can usually find CCI or Hornady on the net for $6 - 8 per box of 50. Good Luck - great little round, maybe the ideal squirrel round.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I sincerely thank everyone who has responded, seriously. However, I cannot afford and won't pay 2X+ of what antlers just sold here to see how well it shoots. My luck for sucking the hind one and all was sold by the time I seen his listing. If I can't find some to try for around $10/bx than I will have to be satisfied with the accuracy of current production that is available.

Respectfully,
Dennis

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SDWhirlwind
I sincerely thank everyone who has responded, seriously. However, I cannot afford and won't pay 2X+ of what antlers just sold here to see how well it shoots. My luck for sucking the hind one and all was sold by the time I seen his listing. If I can't find some to try for around $10/bx than I will have to be satisfied with the accuracy of current production that is available.

Respectfully,
Dennis

$10 per box of long discontinued Eley 17HM2 isn't really a bad price when you consider that it was made to Eley's typical match-grade specs.

When I started shooting the 17HM2 seriously, in 2007, I thought that Eley was actually something of a bargain, as it seemed to me that they were offering ammo that was comparable to TENEX accuracy wise for less than half the price.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check your PM.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.