Print Thread
Hop To
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've always used an old RCBS 5-10 powder scale to weigh each charge, but I've been thinking about getting an electronic scale or possibly powder dispenser deal. Just curious what folks think of the Chargemaster Lite, or if you have any other recommendations for electronic scales? I hate weighing charges and would like to speed things up a bit.

FWIW, I use a lot of IMR 4350 and Benchmark primarily, if that helps any.

Thank You.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had the Hornady version for a couple years and was offered an RCBS Chargemaster Lite for a great deal and took it. Sold the Hornady after a couple sessions with the Lite. I really like it and it definitely speeds up my operation. I weigh every 10-12 charges on a Dillon manual Scale just to verify things are still on track and have never caught an issue with the Lite. They are super sensitive so be aware that any breeze or movement of air can cause issue. I’ve even stepped away from the bench and as I walk back to the bench the air movement from that will flutter the scale. Overall for the price I think the Lite is a good purchase.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought the Chargemaster 500 probably almost 10 years ago and it's servedme well. A while back it starte acting up so I replaced it with the Chargemaster Lite and it's worked just as well as the 1500.
Just a few comments, one they're sensitive to air movement which has been mentioned. They also can be affect by flourescent lights. I finally replaced the lights in my reloading shed which helped. I've since learned that hey may/can be affected by you cell phone, especially if it's a smart phone. When I left my smart phone in the house even the Chargemaster 1500 started working properly again so now the Lite remains as a backup.
One more thing, once the warranty period is over you're on your own. That's the one thing RBCS doesn't back up as they don't do electronics. They did give me a local phone number of someone who supposedly does repairs on Chargemasters but they never would answer their phone. Pity. I figured the 1500 gave me close to ten years of good service so I didn't feel all that bad having to replace it. I doubt I'll live long enough for the Lite to turn toes up so why worry?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you both for the replies, I appreciate your experience.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have two 1500's, one about ten years old, one very new. They're a bit different and needed slightly different settings to work optimally. As mentioned above, stuff sometimes messes with them. My old one is basically bulletproof and just didn't care very much about breezes or anything else. Not the case with the newer one. I leave them on now all the time, have them plugged into a clean power setup, and turn off the AC and ceiling fan when I run them.

That said, even with all of the above, any of the Chargemasters are an absolute game changer, especially during load development. I probably could have gotten a LITE as I don't really use any of the features in the 1500.

You *might* have to mess with the factory speed settings but there are numerous Youtube tutorials. I think it varies slightly from machine to machine.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Chargemaster Lite (with no modifications), a Redding 3BR Powder measure and an RCBS M1000 balance scale to occasionally check throws. I also have several digital scales but have pretty much retired them when the M1000 proved just as accurate and nearly as quick. I use the Redding 3BR for spherical powder and the Chargemaster Lite for everything else. The 3BR requires some trial and error to nail the throw but it is a nice add to my reloading desk. The Chargemaster is very accurate and over-charges seldom occur and I can honestly say I've never had an under-charge with it. It may not be a quick as it's big brother or some other units but it more than meets my needs. I currently load for 10 different rifle calibers and a couple of handgun calibers. I probably load around 1,500 rounds or more a year.

Last edited by Biggs300; 06/26/20.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.