Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Our faithful dog, a male chow/lab/border collie mix has passed. Pound puppy we lucked out on. He was getting up there in years plus had a heart condition which finally got him. Thinking what next dog to get after a suitable mourning period.

What did we like with this dog? Gentle, cared about the boss, faithful, easy around the kids/grandkids. But impressively fierce with strangers and very protective of our clan. He glommed on to one of our 24CF members here in GA, within seconds of his arrival though!

The one drawback? He shed a LOT of hair. Hair everywhere you'd vacuum it all up and 10 minutes later it was just as bad as before.

Anyway, don't want to sit on this too long, especially given today's climate. Plus wife and I are soon to be empty nesters, so the nighttime awareness factor is increasingly important..

What breeds should we be looking at? Key attributes will be: security, protective, obedience (with training) warm personality with the fam, and not a lot of hair shedding.

Your thoughts?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love my labs. But not a aggressive breed, and mine shed a good bit. That said we will be in puppy mode soon, and labs are pretty popular for a bunch of reasons

Last edited by Terryk; 06/25/20.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I am looking hard at a mutt. The cross GSD/Belgian Malinois I saw recently has me interested. Short hair, extremely protective/territorial but not overly aggressive, and very obedient. Perfect for my purposes.

As far as warm with family, if the GSD attributes in that area predominate, you are good to go. Not sure if Malinois personality predominates, but good socialization as a pup should do the trick, I would think.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 06/25/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awful lot of choices there.

What's wrong, if you were happy with a mixed breed before, with going and rescuing another that might suit your purposes. Or ask around your area to see if anyone's had an "intruder" get in and knock up Fluffy?

Sorry to hear about your loss, always a tough deal.

Good luck finding a suitable new partner.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had registered Beagles, Blue Ticks, Plotts, German Shepherds and Rottweilers but my best buddies have all been mutts.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have transitioned to small lap dogs, myself. There are many breeds and intentional cross breeds that are fantastic and don’t shed. Many. An even serve as great “alarm/alert dogs”, mine do, but as far as “protection” or security one could punt them swiftly into next week. But I need the alarm, not the defense. You might want to consider a Standard Poodle, and no I’m not being facetious. They got size, a lot of smarts, sporting, great natured, very loyal, and they don’t shed a hair. As far as trainable, they’re wicked smahhht. I would imagine close to par with the smartest of all breeds. Look for a big one if that’s your thing.

PS - you don’t have to give them those stupid haircuts that give them a bad name. Lol. But they do need to get shaved down periodically. That’s the trade off for no shedding.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 06/25/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lab. Black.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I love Labs and Border Collies. My neighbor has a St. Bernard that is a cool dog. All of these wouldn't meet your shedding criteria, however. I've had pretty good luck with mutts as well. You usually get out of a dog about what you put into it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a fan of mutts. Maybe find somebody online trying to unload some mixed pups that own both parents. You at least have some idea what you are getting and you won't be paying for a purebred. Go with something shorthaired.

Now with even more aplomb
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Labs hands down. Loyal, loving, smart, and full of personality. We have 2, they are bothers and they are great dogs. They are field proven couch dogs.

Last edited by 79S; 06/25/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Yellow Labrador,..field bred. Call Holzinger's and tell them what traits you want.

https://www.holzingerkennels.com/puppies.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we have a chow/lab mix. When we first got him there were days when the chow would override the lab, but as he has got older he has turned into a great dog.

I used to complain about how much he shed, until we got this Shiba Inu mix. We have to vacuum every day because of that dog.

If I could just get chow/lab mixes from now on, I'd be good with that. Matter of fact we got the Shiba Inu mix because they guy selling them said it was chow/lab mix.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/25/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rottweiler, male, alligator headed German breed.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mini-Lab, AKA German Shorthair. Great with kids, goofy as hell for a personality. Great watch dog, loyal as hell. I've taken mine to a local dog club that has training classes, roughly follows the AKC Rally format. Very high energy. I run mine mine about five miles a day at a 9mph average, or else... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Vizsla

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM Birdwatcher, he just had some pups.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll never have anything but German Shorthairs but they do shed. If I didn't want to hunt birds and the dog hair was an issue I would take a good long look at an Airedale.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a BMC that pretty much fits the bill. His pillow and my truck back sea show signs of shedding but the rest of the house is good. That said the decor is close to his hair color so...

He's been a good dog but really needed a firm hand in his puppy to 3 yr old stage. Very protective especially of wife and kids. I've seen him stand between my wife and a bear in the yard and a stranger walking down the right of way road. Pretty cool to see.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Vizsla

Interesting. Never heard of them, but just looked them up. Thanks Dan!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Belgian Malinois.
Or
Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Smart protective short hair breeds.
Easy to groom.
Apex dogs......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 20 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.