Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
I have transitioned to small lap dogs, myself. There are many breeds and intentional cross breeds that are fantastic and don’t shed. Many. An even serve as great “alarm/alert dogs”, mine do, but as far as “protection” or security one could punt them swiftly into next week. But I need the alarm, not the defense. You might want to consider a Standard Poodle, and no I’m not being facetious. They got size, a lot of smarts, sporting, great natured, very loyal, and they don’t shed a hair. As far as trainable, they’re wicked smahhht. I would imagine close to par with the smartest of all breeds. Look for a big one if that’s your thing.

PS - you don’t have to give them those stupid haircuts that give them a bad name. Lol. But they do need to get shaved down periodically. That’s the trade off for no shedding.

Some great thoughts here...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Airedale sounds like a perfect fit

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'd a said beagle, but i hear they go for the nuts.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Go to your local shelter and let one pick you.

That has always worked for me.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Our faithful dog, a male chow/lab/border collie mix has passed. Pound puppy we lucked out on. He was getting up there in years plus had a heart condition which finally got him. Thinking what next dog to get after a suitable mourning period.

What did we like with this dog? Gentle, cared about the boss, faithful, easy around the kids/grandkids. But impressively fierce with strangers and very protective of our clan. He glommed on to one of our 24CF members here in GA, within seconds of his arrival though!

The one drawback? He shed a LOT of hair. Hair everywhere you'd vacuum it all up and 10 minutes later it was just as bad as before.

Anyway, don't want to sit on this too long, especially given today's climate. Plus wife and I are soon to be empty nesters, so the nighttime awareness factor is increasingly important..

What breeds should we be looking at? Key attributes will be: security, protective, obedience (with training) warm personality with the fam, and not a lot of hair shedding.

Your thoughts?

We used to live outside of Americus Georgia. We had Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. They are fine breed. The female was very aggressive and male was very friendly.

We now have Australian shepherds. Absolutely love the breed. Extremely smart.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Don’t even like to think of my beagle not being around, She’s been a faithful companion for the last 9+ years and I hope there are many more years ahead. Had two Brits before her and I’ve often thought if I get another dog it would be a Blue Heeler. Problem is I’ve reached an age where my next dog may likely outlive me.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ll catch hell for this, but I’ll never be without a pit bull.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Can't believe it took this long for it to come up.

Based on what what the OP put forth in his post, why would you encourage him to get a pit bull?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by bugs4
I'll never have anything but German Shorthairs but they do shed. If I didn't want to hunt birds and the dog hair was an issue I would take a good long look at an Airedale.
I had an Airedale once. Great dog. Ate every damn cat he could get a hold of. Apparently thought they were delicious.

I love our Airedale. I have a high level of trust in her with my kids. She's a bit on the sweet side for the breed, which keeps her from being the watchdog that I'd like her to be, but her size, (80 lbs) and ferocious sounding bark and growl are a deterrent to most. Plus, she's a very loving dog and goofy and entertaining, too. She's bright, but stubborn, fitting those breed characteristics to a T.

Shedding is better than average, IMO.

I'd seriously consider having another one.

Last edited by bruinruin; 06/25/20.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Can't believe it took this long for it to come up.

Based on what what the OP put forth in his post, why would you encourage him to get a pit bull?

I guess he wants the OP to have his home owner's insurance cancelled.

Airdale great dogs, any terrier breeds. I like ugly hunting dogs. WHPG. Very little shedding, smart, socialized with humans and animals.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Vizsla

Interesting. Never heard of them, but just looked them up. Thanks Dan!

Had a couple, both were good field dogs, the older of the two was remarkably fast in her feet and protective of the castle. Younger was a goofy ball of fun. 55 pounds give or take.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin gang my two cents, Airedale, griffon or German wire hair pointer, ridge back, Melin€€¥**shepard (with training), even an old plott bear hound may work. The American bull dog??? I don't know, I have one now (rescued) she's a sweetheart & if you don't know the 2yr old grandchild & the dog don't go near the kid till you've been here a few times. Even my daughters dogs don't go near the two yr old. I keep a close watch on ALL activity, Im pretty sure the dog wouldn't bite her but, but, I can see the dog trying to protect the baby & someone getting hurt. Maybe me,lol. Like I said she's a sweet one but with all the bad stories ya hear. She's very happy to see anyone, & if you've been here before look out she'll lick ya to death!!!! Original bull dogs that were bread to fight were also bread to not bite the human who trained it. They had to go into the ring and retrieve there dogs after a certain time. I don't think they breed that way anymore, there just a machine with no brain and one thing on there mind. I've got way off track here, sorry. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Vizsla
Vizsla's are some danged good dawgs. Had one. Pretty hyper though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any real country person needs a hound.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Blue Tick. Treein' Walker's are faithful companions too.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My favorite for a constant companion is a lab. I've had dogs I've enjoyed like boxers, Airedales, rots, catahoulas, drahthaars, and others. In the end though, give me a lab to spend time with day in day out.

Dogs I've had but would never have again: pit, blue healer, spitz.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Schnauzer, miniature.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry for your loss. I miss mine all the time. Anyway, if you don’t mind a big dog, I’d recommend an English Mastiff. They tick every box you mentioned and unlike all the others that have been recommended they are easy going and very easy to manage. No heavy training, maintenance and are not high strung. They are big, and will love you and your wife like no other dog could, but you gotta love em back. And the intimidation you require is undeniable. The lion amongst breeds.

The only other recommendation I’d offer is a boxer, but they can have a lot health issues.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our faithful dog, a male chow/lab/border collie mix has passed. Pound puppy we lucked out on. He was getting up there in years plus had a heart condition which finally got him. Thinking what next dog to get after a suitable mourning period.

What did we like with this dog? Gentle, cared about the boss, faithful, easy around the kids/grandkids. But impressively fierce with strangers and very protective of our clan. He glommed on to one of our 24CF members here in GA, within seconds of his arrival though!

The one drawback? He shed a LOT of hair. Hair everywhere you'd vacuum it all up and 10 minutes later it was just as bad as before.

Anyway, don't want to sit on this too long, especially given today's climate. Plus wife and I are soon to be empty nesters, so the nighttime awareness factor is increasingly important..

What breeds should we be looking at? Key attributes will be: security, protective, obedience (with training) warm personality with the fam, and not a lot of hair shedding.

Your thoughts?

Sorry to hear about the passing of your family friend.
Been there too many times. Never is easy.

From your description and compared to the size AND looks of yours, I would strongly consider an African Lion Hound aka, Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Minimal shedding, short hair. Family guard that is stable, Unlike some of the chows, terriors, etc.
They have been bred to hunt lions and survive, protect children, and not known to Yap at every passing sound.
If they bark, it's for good reason I'm told.
Go for a female is what breeders tell me. Get a puppy. I know someone who has one trained better than most people s kids. I want one, but too much on the plate.
They do need a good large yard for exercise, unless you take daily hikes. That is a requirement.

Here's a video. Check out about 10 more to get an idea. You mentioned poodles. Standards are big, but I can't comment on them. Mine have been calm stable miniatures and a tea cup. Mine weren't yappy but many are.

Best to you.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/25/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GSD, hands down, nothing else really compares, IMO.

MM

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Shetland Sheepdog

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (257 roberts, 35, 10Glocks, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.