Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by hanco
I think Custer would have been President also, if he hadn’t made the decisions he did that day.

I doubt it. a Lieutenant Colonel forcing a bunch of Indians back onto the reservation, killing some in the process, just doesn't rise to the stature of winning major Civil War battles. After all the Battle of the Washita didn't get him any elective office.

Course not. Those civil war battles were fought for freedom of the righteous and wrongly held African nobility with nothing to steal. Those prairie battles were against pure savages unfit for slavery. But with plenty of resources for the humanitarian federal government to kill them for. Strange behavior for such a benevolent and righteous government and military just exiting a purely moral war.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by watch4bear
The place itself is surreal

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When they think of it, Antifa will destroy the place.

When that happens, it will be time for it to become a battlefield again!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Birdy! I liked this comment about him from Wikipedia article

"He was not a chronic drinker or gambler. He did not absent himself from his duty station for trivial reasons. He did not shirk duty assignments and, above all else, he patently knew what he was doing at the head of the column of enlisted men."

Well it’s quite evident why he didn’t fit in with his other messmates in the officer’s corps.

He was competent!

In the Wild West article, it states that DeRudio had quietly done well in Kansas where Custer had notably failed, and his men in appreciation had presented him with an ornate saber, him carrying this saber to the Little Big Horn perhaps because Custer had ordered them left at base.

Anyhow, his own testimony, from the article of how he got left behind.

"I stopped at the creek, trying to keep the men steady, as the last man passed me, I noticed the guidon of the company on the bank of the creek., and I told him to go get it before he went out. Then man said it was too hot for him and continued on his way. I thought it was not very hot, and I went and got the guidon myself....

There were about 20 or 30 Indians coming, not more than 40 to 50 yards from me, scattering as they saw the head of my horse over the bank. They fired a volley at me. The bullets came whistling about me, and I dropped down."

Further in the article.....

In retrospect De Rudio said the Major [Reno] should have remained sheltered withing the timber, as the Indians would not have come into the cottonwoods to fight dismounted troopers, and the delaying action might have prevented 1,000 warriors from riding off to attack Custer's five companies.

I had never come across that perspective before, or indeed, any mention of De Rudio. Heck, an Italian Count who had actually escaped Devil's Island being present and in combat at the Little Big Horn oughta at least have merited a passing mention.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Too bad Shrapnel isn't here to post about it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Too bad Shrapnel isn't here to post about it.

He sure knew things.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Some of my family were there that day, on the winning (for the moment) side.
It is a very humbling and haunting place. If you stand there quietly in the breeze you can hear it all happen again.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shrapnel ain’t gone. wink

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by Hancock27
I was just up at Little Big Horn - It's a field in the middle of a prairie and CLOSED for COVID. We went out of our way driving my daughter and her husband to Minnesota and took a side trip there - very disappointed!

National park service is nothing more than an arm of the UN.

Its up on a long ridge of ground that overlooks the Interstate, where the Lakotas, Cheyennes and Arapahoes were camped, its Crow Country now, as it was back then, them 10,000 enemy tribesmen were far more threat to the Crows than the White men (discounting microbes of course).

I'm sorry someone wasn't there who knew, seems like there should be a lot that can be accessed from the Interstate, down along the river where a lot of the fighting took place.

You realize that’s reservation land?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RickBin

Spill it, Ricky!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I happened to stop their 4 yrs ago on the 140th anniversary. Talk about an experience, I toured everything, drove to where Reno was and the pits they dug 140yrs ago are still their. Everywhere on the battlefield is marked with a white tombstone. I still remember one it was fairly close to where Reno and his men where at. Anyhow there was a headstone all by itself, coming up from the river. Really makes one think and the what was the last thing that trooper thought of before he met his maker. Anyhow one of the many pictures I took at the battlefield. The headstone with the black circle is where Custer fell.

[Linked Image]

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Osky
Some of my family were there that day, on the winning (for the moment) side.
It is a very humbling and haunting place. If you stand there quietly in the breeze you can hear it all happen again.

Osky

It’s a very eerie place that’s for sure

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been there numerous times and the first thought that comes to mind is - WTF was Custer thinking when he attacked that many indians? In looking over the battlefield it appears obvious that he was in over his head from the very begining.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin

Spill it, Ricky!

Well, for one thing, he just texted me from the battlefield. smile

Said hello.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Last time I was there, they had Custer's jock strap on display. Are you chitting me, Custer's fu cking jock strap behind glass.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WTF
Last time I was there, they had Custer's jock strap on display. Are you chitting me, Custer's fu cking jock strap behind glass.

With the clankers he displayed repeatedly throughout his career I suspect it was a big jock...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Custer apologists like to heap blame on
Benteen.

but looking at the message he received
and his distance from the village
and the distance of the pack train,
How quick could have Benteen realistically
arrived with the packs?

Benteen wrote;
"This note was brought back to me by Trumpeter
Martin of my Co. (which fact saved his life.) When I
received it I was five or six miles from the village,
perhaps more, and the packs at least that distance
in my rear."

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by drover
I have been there numerous times and the first thought that comes to mind is - WTF was Custer thinking when he attacked that many indians? In looking over the battlefield it appears obvious that he was in over his head from the very begining.

drover

What was the probability there’d be 10,000 Plains Indians in one camp?

The big 1840 treaty gathering down at Bent’s Fort had that many, can’t think of another. Custer shoulda listened to his scouts.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
When you can't use public land without permission..... it's not public land. It's government land.......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Starman
Custer apologists like to heap blame on
Benteen.

but looking at the message he received
and his distance from the village
and the distance of the pack train,
How quick could have Benteen realistically
arrived with the packs?

Benteen wrote;
"This note was brought back to me by Trumpeter
Martin of my Co. (which fact saved his life.) When I
received it I was five or six miles from the village,
perhaps more, and the packs at least that distance
in my rear."

Benteen and (reluctantly) Reno tried to advance to Custer’s position but only made it as far as Weir Point before being repulsed.
It was too late by then anyway.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Happened today.

Yeah?

I got married 15 years ago today.

I’m sorry

Happy Trails

Bob

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.