Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm new at beekeeping. Ordered a nuc in Jan for delivery the end of April/beginning of May. Supplier kept putting off delivery due to weather - it had been cool in NW PA. Since I wasn't getting a warm and fuzzy about this guy I found another apiary and bought a nuc from him. Got it home and installed in 10 frame hive body just over two weeks ago. Did 2 inspections and it seems to be doing well. Goes thru a quart of syrup about every other day.

Anyway the day after I installed the nuc the first guy calls and says my original nuc is ready. I have another hive so no problem. Weather really warmed up that week. I talked to the guy about picking up the nuc - I was concerned with the 1.5hr drive and the heat. He said he'd close them up the night before and keep them in the shade the next day when I could get them after work. It was 95F, probably hottest day of the year so far. Told me to keep them in my truck cab in the AC, set the nuc box on the new hive for an hour to settle them, then open the plug and let them out. Once it was dark they'd be back in the nuc box and I should tranfer them early the next morning. I did first few steps but when I pulled the plug a lot of dead bees fell out. When I peeked in the nuc there were dead bees all over so I decided to transfer them then. That went OK and I'm pretty sure I saw the queen. The dead bee pile was about the size of a small cantelope, probably half of them. I've really only looked at them once in 2 weeks and seems to be struggling, not many bees. Plan to do an inspection this weekend and will see if I can get a local beekeeper to help.

My question is what did I do wrong with the 2nd nuc? Transporting in AC? Should've waited for a cooler day? Apiary shouldn't have kept them in the nuc box closed up with limited ventilation in one of the hottest days of the year so far?

I don't want to repeat the mistake.

Thanks.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott
I'm new at beekeeping. Ordered a nuc in Jan for delivery the end of April/beginning of May. Supplier kept putting off delivery due to weather - it had been cool in NW PA. Since I wasn't getting a warm and fuzzy about this guy I found another apiary and bought a nuc from him. Got it home and installed in 10 frame hive body just over two weeks ago. Did 2 inspections and it seems to be doing well. Goes thru a quart of syrup about every other day.

Anyway the day after I installed the nuc the first guy calls and says my original nuc is ready. I have another hive so no problem. Weather really warmed up that week. I talked to the guy about picking up the nuc - I was concerned with the 1.5hr drive and the heat. He said he'd close them up the night before and keep them in the shade the next day when I could get them after work. It was 95F, probably hottest day of the year so far. Told me to keep them in my truck cab in the AC, set the nuc box on the new hive for an hour to settle them, then open the plug and let them out. Once it was dark they'd be back in the nuc box and I should tranfer them early the next morning. I did first few steps but when I pulled the plug a lot of dead bees fell out. When I peeked in the nuc there were dead bees all over so I decided to transfer them then. That went OK and I'm pretty sure I saw the queen. The dead bee pile was about the size of a small cantelope, probably half of them. I've really only looked at them once in 2 weeks and seems to be struggling, not many bees. Plan to do an inspection this weekend and will see if I can get a local beekeeper to help.

My question is what did I do wrong with the 2nd nuc? Transporting in AC? Should've waited for a cooler day? Apiary shouldn't have kept them in the nuc box closed up with limited ventilation in one of the hottest days of the year so far?

I don't want to repeat the mistake.

Thanks.

Apiary shouldn't have kept them in the nuc box closed up with limited ventilation in one of the hottest days of the year so far?

This is a big no-no. A hive produces a lot of heat, and restricting ventilation in warm weather can wipe out a hive very quickly.

Last edited by Beoceorl; 06/24/20.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Perveyor of excellent honey ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[/quote]

Apiary shouldn't have kept them in the nuc box closed up with limited ventilation in one of the hottest days of the year so far?

This is a big no-no. A hive produces a lot of heat, and restricting ventilation in warm weather can wipe out a hive very quickly.
[/quote]

Thanks, that was my thinking also but I talked to another beekeeper last week and he said it was the AC in the truck cab but that didn't make sense to me.

My next step is to confirm the queen survived then just keep nursing them along.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with Beo (not that I have his experience). They need ventilation.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just make sure they aren't queenless, and feed as needed. If your healthy hive can spare a couple of frames of brood and nurse bees you could transfer them over to the weak hive.

I'm at a loss as to how the AC could harm them.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

I'd be willing to bet the AC saved the rest of the hive from dying.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bee keeping can be one of the most rewarding things that you will ever do, and then tomorrow, it can be the most heart breaking......

In today's climate, the battle is very real, black bears, diseases, mites and colony abandonment , don't overthink things, just enjoy bees doing what bees do .

And yes, I think moving bees in that heat was a mistake.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

I'd be willing to bet the AC saved the rest of the hive from dying.

From my small amount of experience, I’d have to agree. AC May have slowed them but reduced the stress.

Bees are flown commercially up to AK, and one year the entire shipment (couple pickup loads) were left on the tarmac in 90*+ sun in SLC and arrived dead.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm hesitant to move any bees from healthy hive just yet. They were just starting into new frames the last I checked.

Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott
I'm hesitant to move any bees from healthy hive just yet. They were just starting into new frames the last I checked.

If the nuc comes up queenless, or just looks like its not going to make it, you can always do a newspaper combine as a last resort.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like raw honey and I just finished hitting up a bowstring with 100% percent beeswax so Good Luck and Godspeed as you begin your new phase of apiarian.

Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just watched a video on a newspaper combine last week. Thanks for the idea and your advice.

I guess I'll know more this weekend.

Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear
Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been in contact with the apiary about my concerns and let him know my disappointment on how this went. He's offered to travel to my location to see my setup and look at the hive himself. He's also bringing another nuc but we haven't discussed price.

Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Don't think I'd buy any bees from that guy again. He should have known better, and he should know your setup was not the problem.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He showed up, inspected the weak hive, and agreed that a lot of the carnage was heat related. Nothing wrong with my setup. We did find an emgency queen cell. He gave me a new nuc and, since original colony was so weak, we combined them at no cost to me. Only recommendation was going from an entrance feeder to a top feeder. I have two that came with the hives so they're going in today.

Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Tag

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont meant to steal the thread.....

About a week ago, I got started with bees. Got a lot to learn, but so far they seem to be doing ok. I have read where it is better to be proactive rather than reactive on mite control. These hives have not been treated for mites..... what do you suggest for a starting hive?

I do have a homemade moth trap in place and a sheet in the hive for beetles. I'm feeding 1:1 sugar/water in the hive.

Any other suggestions about something I'm missing is appreciated.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tag, have also wanted to try bees.

CK
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
BiL just got started. Aside from the regular benefits, looking into a possible agriculture
tax exemption. May offset a lot of bee costs.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (1minute, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.