Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Familiar with the situation.
I went to a one room country school in west central KS. Eight grades had 14-16 kids, total. I was the last person to graduate eight grade there in 1965.
It closed and kids were bussed to nearest town to class sizes of about 50 kids. Now those classes are 20-25.
People are not living in these rural areas. Unless you are a large land owner, there are few ways to make a living.

NRA Patron
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My kids school district is 30x60 miles... we have a few hundred kids, but many have long rides to get here.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When we lived in Cass County, NE, our local school was a three room school, an upgraded one room country school. The school was closed in the late 1990's or early 2000's and the students were bused to school in Plattsmouth, NE. I remember that the principal was reassigned as a teacher and the Plattsmouth School Board tried to break her contract because she made more money than any of her soon to be peers. They went to court and she won, but when her contract was up they didn't renew it, so she retired and started to collect her pension from them. Poetic justice.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not just the schools, churches, and what business is left.

In the Midwest, the local elevator is the largest thing going.

I disagree. If you have a bar, you have a town.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ha! Horse, not in the little berg I get mail out of, not even a coffee shop, Caseys we do have a big Caseys.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Love the names of some of those old country schools. Dad was born in 1916. He went to Yale, Harvard and Hooten. Outside of Winterset Ia.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fake virus is the last straw in a lot of places.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
School buses should go the way of the Dodo bird. Your kid, your responsibility to get them to school.

Hell, I think schools should be funded by those with kids. The government should be out of it, period.

It's funny that those that are the biggest drain on services, generally contribute the least. Your kid, your responsibility.

Last edited by RemModel8; 06/26/20.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not just the schools, churches, and what business is left.

In the Midwest, the local elevator is the largest thing going.

I disagree. If you have a bar, you have a town.

You are really doing good if you can buy gas on weekends.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
My father attended a one-room school for grades 1 through 8. They had two books and a record player with two records. He listened while the older kids recited and managed to skip two grades. High school was about 10 miles away via school bus.

The nearest "town," about a mile from the school, was a crossroads where there was a grain elevator and a general store. A railroad came through it and about 35 people lived there. Now all that is long gone.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RemModel8
School buses should go the way of the Dodo bird. Your kid, your responsibility to get them to school.

Hell, I think schools should be funded by those with kids. The government should be out of it, period.

It's funny that those that are the biggest drain on services, generally contribute the least. Your kid, your responsibility.

Great idea, but good luck. Lots of today’s parents are only worried about funding their next tattoo. They are content to let society support their kids.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yesterday, in the small town of Roy, Montana......you pump your diesel......then go inside and the the guy how many dollars it was.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We have no schools in our town.Post office open 1/2 a day, convenience store,hardware store,gas station bait store,tavern,Cafe,Catholic Church only on Sundays.You can pass town on 141and not even know there is a town there except for the sign.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's an old, remodeled, two room school house a mile from my farm. About 14 miles from the "big town" of Grace, ID. Today, everything is consolidated, and they are even talking about consolidating the high schools. Even in Mormon country, very few families with 8 or 9 kids, and far fewer farm help than there used to be. Many fewer people living on the land. Not a good thing.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Great idea, but good luck. Lots of today’s parents are only worried about funding their next tattoo. They are content to let society support their kids.

I also love how 1/2 the school kids were going to starve during the shutdown because they couldn't have breakfast/lunch at school. Free food for all kids. What a frigging shame. Your kid, your responsibility.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Dutch
There's an old, remodeled, two room school house a mile from my farm. About 14 miles from the "big town" of Grace, ID. Today, everything is consolidated, and they are even talking about consolidating the high schools. Even in Mormon country, very few families with 8 or 9 kids, and far fewer farm help than there used to be. Many fewer people living on the land. Not a good thing.

The Mormons are still a bit ahead of average here....but the Catholic and Mormon families are a shell of what they used to be.

I am MAGA.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There are a lot of little towns on the plains of eastern Colorado. Leftovers from a time when transportation was more difficult and time consuming. Many have died all together. Just ghost towns now. Others still hanging on with just a few residents and lots of vacant buildings.

I'm pretty familiar with one in particular. There's a handfull of houses and a grain elevator. A few vacant buildings lining the highway. No businesses. The K-12 school is located on the open prairie next to the highway, halfway between my little town and another. It's thriving because even though there aren't many people in the tiny towns there are numerous farms in ever direction, that provide the school with students.

It's peaceful. I recently talked to my friend who lives there and he mentioned that there was no virus because they are so isolated. One town to the north of him has a construction project underway and some of the workers are commuting from the cities on the front range and they have brought some virus with them.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You are going to see more remote learning in the coming years. What the op described is the same thing that's starting to happen in western Kansas. The state health director even referred to some counties in far western Kansas as "frontier counties." I can see another big round of consolidation looming in the near future.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When I was a baby, my mother taught at one of those 1 room country schools in a place called Folly Farm, Oregon. Some maps still show the place in the SE corner of the state. She had 8 students in 8 grades.

We have another one called the Three Creek School about 40 or 50 miles from here. I think they have 4 or 5 students, all from local ranches. There is no town.

My Grandmother's first teaching job was at a single room school south of town.

It was the Lone Tree Bench School. It was 60 miles from town I think.

There was no teacherage, so she stayed at a ranch house until one was built.

She graduated college in the 20's......1929 I think. So would have been out there in the early 30's.

Pretty amazing. My grandparents didn't start high school.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
For many years the little ranching community of Wayan, Idaho, which is about 20 miles from Freedom, Wyoming had a 2 room school house. My cousins rode their horses to school most days if the weather permitted. Sadly they closed it down a few years ago & now they bus all the kids into Soda Springs which is about 30 miles. Grades 1-4 went there.
Beautiful area with Caribou Mountain in the background.

Dick

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,467 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.