Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
dsink Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone played with the Kimber Micro 9, Springfield 911 or Sig ,938 in 9 mm?
They all seem to be about the same size. Been kind of wanting one for a carry gun but haven't been able to handle all of them to see which one I like the best.

I have fairly large hands so I am still debating if these are the way I want to go. Thought one of them might make a nice light weight summer carry gun.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a micro 9 I bought for the wife. Nice gun, handles and shoots well, and when I let my father(who has large hands) handle it, I almost didn’t get it back. Never handled the other two, so I can’t compare, but I’m a fan of the one I have

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the SIG 938 and I love it. Put a small laser sight on it and carry it in a pocket holster. Having been a 1911 shooter for about 40 years, I find it a very easy pistol to transfer the muscle memory to. My hands are medium sized, but I've had no issues handling or controlling it. They are nice pistols.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How do you carry that loaded? Hammer back and thumb safety applied in Condition 1? Without a grip safety like a 1911 that doesn't seem right for some reason. Hammer down on a live round? Cocking the hammer would be a time consuming and awkward movement. Magazine loaded and empty chamber? Not good. For any of these reasons I dislike that genre of ccw pistol.

Last edited by MOGC; 06/15/20.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife has the Sig 938......and loves it! In fact, we have the .22 long rifle conversion.....and used it today..... to introduce a young lady to the enjoyment of shooting! She had never touched a firearm, prior to today. She shot a couple of different.22 rifles and the Sig. We may have a young concert in our ranks! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/14/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Two micros.

Run flawlessly, except when using dirty ammo.

HPs are no problem.

I've got L/XL hands, so my grip had to change, more finger through the trigger.

Carry condition 1, lack of grip safety never a problem.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'll be picking up my Springfield 911 as soon as my paperwork clears. I'll let you know how it shoots.

Greg

NRA Life Member, 1990
Life Member, NYSRPA
Life Member, Saugerties Fish and Game Club
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dsink;

If you have large hands, you might consider the Springfield Armory 1911 EMP

It's about 7/8 scale of a full size 1911, and fits my hands way better than the little micro's.

I bought the 4" barreled model, which is scaled to look about like a small commander.

They also make it in a 3-1/2" model, which might be a little better to conceal.

I carry mine in a Milt Sparks IWB.

Virgil B.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
How do you carry that loaded? Hammer back and thumb safety applied in Condition 1? Without a grip safety like a 1911 that doesn't seem right for some reason. Hammer down on a live round? Cocking the hammer would be a time consuming and awkward movement. Magazine loaded and empty chamber? Not good. For any of these reasons I dislike that genre of ccw pistol.

I'm with MOGC on this.

Carrying a Government model or Commander in condition 1 with grip safety does not worry me.

I ended up selling my SIG p238 because carrying it in condition 1 without a grip safety DID concern me.

To each his own I guess.

Last edited by greghaz; 06/22/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by greghaz

I'm with MOGC on this.

Carrying a Government model or Commander in condition 1 with grip safety does not worry me.

I ended up selling my SIG p238 because carrying it in condition 1 without a grip safety DID concern me.

To each his own I guess.

The Sig 938 and 238 has a manual safety and is safe to carry unless you disengage the safety and pull the trigger. It kind of amazes me that people will carry a Glock with no safety that will discharge if you put your finger on the trigger and press it, but can't seem to get used to a handgun that has an actual safety that won't discharge in condition one under the same conditions that a Glock will and are perfectly at ease carrying a Glock. Not knocking a Glock at all, just don't understand the weariness they have with a single action pistol carried in condition one with a perfectly working manual safety. Can't wrap my head around that.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have fairly large hands, and carry a Micro 9. The extended 8 rd mag helps me a lot.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

I'm with MOGC on this.

To each his own I guess.

The Sig 938 and 238 has a manual safety and is safe to carry unless you disengage the safety and pull the trigger. It kind of amazes me that people will carry a Glock with no safety that will discharge if you put your finger on the trigger and press it, but can't seem to get used to a handgun that has an actual safety that won't discharge in condition one under the same conditions that a Glock will and are perfectly at ease carrying a Glock. Not knocking a Glock at all, just don't understand the weariness they have with a single action pistol carried in condition one with a perfectly working manual safety. Can't wrap my head around that.

I don't carry Glocks for the reason you point out. I carry SAs with grip safety or DASA, just no SAs without grip safety.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I carry a 938 at times. My magazines have the pinky extension. For me that made the difference for ease of shooting. Carries easy and is very accurate. I carry loaded and locked.

Last edited by IZH27; 06/26/20.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

I'm with MOGC on this.

To each his own I guess.

I don't carry Glocks for the reason you point out. I carry SAs with grip safety or DASA, just no SAs without grip safety.

Glocks are a little different in the safety blade in the trigger and striker block. But think of how many carry a Ruger 22 with the safety on. Not too many shooting themselves that I’ve heard of. Browning high Power... Colt Woodsman... Buckmark...

Last edited by TWR; 06/26/20.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I carry micro 9 cdp all day everyday. Aftermarket grips and multiple holster configurations. , XL glove size, no problems at all. Had to initially send it back due to issues, but got it back extremely fast and been flawless since. Carry an extra mag with neomag. Condition 1 for me.

Last edited by NH Hunter; 06/27/20.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
dsink Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the input fellows. I ended up picking up a new production blued PPK. Yes I know it's not a micro 9 and I did almost buy a Sig 938 but I have always wanted a blued PPK and when I saw it sitting in the display case, it kind of spoke to me so I had to take it home.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
My son has a Sig 938 that he really likes a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm with you. That Micro 9 feels so good in my hand, love it - but the lack of grip safety I just can't get past.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Micro 9 and really like it. It has been flawless as far as function goes. Also have a Kahr PM9 and I like the feel of the Kimber even better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.