Hop To
#14995956 06/24/20
I
IA_fog Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
What’s a good gps finder that won’t break the bank? Would like to be able to put in a map chip or have built in maps
5-7” screen
Thanks

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Almost all brands have a 5-7" screen fish finder with GPS. They're all good, but picking the one that's "good enough" for you depends on your needs - and the size of the bank you're trying not to break. I like Humminbird, but in honesty Lowrance, Garmin, and RayMarine are just as good. Fans of each would say better.

Just one source (with reviews) HERE

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a ton of experience with fishfinders like some of the guys. I did enough research to get a basic idea of what I wanted, then decided to jump in to get a feel for what I actually liked/disliked. I wanted matching units at the console and in the bow for the trolling motor but didn't want to break the bank with high-dollar units. I ended up with these and am happy so far, though Covid put the brakes on using them as much as I would have liked. Looks like they're out of stock here, but it's a good reference point if nothing else.

https://www.gpscity.com/lowrance-hook2-5-with-splitshot-transducer-and-inland-maps

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had a Lowrance Hook 2 7-inch. When I’m GPS mode, it didn’t update real-time. More like once every 1/4 mile when underway. It would lose the bottom if going more than about 15kts. I’ve had much better luck with HDS units.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mine is in quarantine in the north shed. (slight grimace)

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am still back in the dark ages (imagine that!) of DEPTH finders. We tend to catch more fish in spots where the device indicates changes in the bottom than we do in places where little fishies appear on the screen.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We should buy the fish a finder, securitize watches, meet at the appointed time.

I can't even get the fish to read the same fishing book I do.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a hook 2 and it shows what is under the boat. Easy to see fish and will show your lure no problem. You can turn on fish ID and it will show depictions of the fish and depth.
I also have a Garmin UHD 9" screen. It is easier to use. Shows very detailed images with the imaging. Big fish you can tell which end is the head and the tail. Mapping and charting is easy and intuitive.
Humminbird is supposed to be even better images, but cost more.
i figure most any 300 dollar current unit would work. The technology has changed a lot since I bought my last one 10 years ago.

C
C
I would stay away from Hummingbird customer service there sucks!!!

Chinook3

I
IA_fog Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I am still back in the dark ages (imagine that!) of DEPTH finders. We tend to catch more fish in spots where the device indicates changes in the bottom than we do in places where little fishies appear on the screen.

I’m in the same boat taught how to walleye fish by structure not fish looking things on screen

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
humminbird hands down. I have 3 of them (2 currently on boat) I have a helix 12" with side imaging at the helm, and a 7" on the bow. I love them. if you're looking for a good used unit, I have a helix 5 DI with mapping that ill sell cheap, its not doing me any good.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hummingbird is a 3rd-tier budget brand. Lowrance a step above that. Furuno way above that.

Most important is to buy the latest technology as there have been many advancements recently.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go Lowrance with chirp. I did and its been rock solid. Hummingbird is for bass fisherman.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.