Hop To
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Here’s the deal....hopefully someone here can shed some light on which direction I should go based on what I’m wanting to do.

I just picked up an HKSP5. I’m wanting to put an A2 stock on it first and foremost and a suppressor after I recoup some funds.

I’m going to start the paperwork this weekend. No matter how much I read on the subject I seem to come away more confused each time. Especially in dealing with “trust vs individual”. Could anyone give me the details on why you would file one vs the other?

SP5, A2 stock, and a suppressor down the road. The gun is not ever gonna be sold as I’ve been waiting on this release for 20 years now. So if a”trust” makes resale easier and that’s the only perk that’s not applicable here. But if there’s other reasons to do a trust I’m all ears....

Help me out gentleman, it’s my first time if you can’t tell lol.... How would you go about this ?

ARIC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I filed a trust so that I can pass guns and such off to my kids or friends for the weekend.

If I had that HK I'd never let it leave my sight so that wouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
So basically use a trust if someone other than you may be in possession of it when not around? No kids, no plans of having kids.....highly unlikely Mrs. KY221 is gonna dig it out and take it somewhere.

I think I’d be fine with filing as an individual then..

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
The trust also allows for transfer to heirs with out having to obtain a new tax stamp. All my NFA items are in a trust that owns the items. I own the trust so to speak. I have co executors that can use the items and beneficiary’s who are on it and on my death they go to them in the trust without having to go through a waiting period, background checks and worries about keeping everything legal as it not a person to person transfer but a trust that owns and controlled the items. That the way I was explained and shown from a lawyer that specializes in NFA items.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ky221
So basically use a trust if someone other than you may be in possession of it when not around? No kids, no plans of having kids.....highly unlikely Mrs. KY221 is gonna dig it out and take it somewhere.

I think I’d be fine with filing as an individual then..

Basically same boat as you. I filed as an individual .... and believe it or not .... got the stamp in about 4 months! FWIW, my Class 3 said it was a record for them and that they never had a trust come back anywhere that quick. As with most things in life ... YMMV.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can I file as an individual and set up a trust later adding them on then?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes but It will cost $200 an item.

In reference to earlier statement about passing it to heirs, tax free form 5 transfer in the event of your death.

Last edited by supercrewd; 06/28/20.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow, looking at the prices for an SP5 I can see that you really wanted one and that you might never want to part with it! supply and demand.

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Wow, looking at the prices for an SP5 I can see that you really wanted one and that you might never want to part with it! supply and demand.

The deal with the Sp5 is this. I’m not into ARs or Aks or anything else of that nature. But I remember when I was a kid watching predator with my dad and Carl Wethers had 2 mp5s. I thought it was the coolest looking gun ever. It was also featured in most of my video games I played as a kid. Then when I was about maybe 11 or 12 I watched Die Hard....This is about the time I was really taking an interest in firearms. Full auto MP5s have always been and always will be out of my price range. I never wanted to pay 2000$ for a “clone”. So when I found out about this one. I had to have it. As it’s as close as we will probably ever get to owning a real MP5. It just doesn’t have the fun switch. Thanks to WARPIG here I was able get a lead on one and get it heading my way.

I realize from a practical stand point than an AR in 9mm, a cz scorpion or whatever else is probably the more logical choice. But since when does logic have anything to do with anything ?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

I realize from a practical stand point than an AR in 9mm, a cz scorpion or whatever else is probably the more logical choice. But since when does logic have anything to do with anything ?

Shoot what you like! Only person who has to enjoy it is you. I personally think that gun is cool as hell though. I am betting it will be a lot of fun.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp

The deal with the Sp5 is this. I’m not into ARs or Aks or anything else of that nature. But I remember when I was a kid watching predator with my dad and Carl Wethers had 2 mp5s. I thought it was the coolest looking gun ever. It was also featured in most of my video games I played as a kid. Then when I was about maybe 11 or 12 I watched Die Hard....This is about the time I was really taking an interest in firearms. Full auto MP5s have always been and always will be out of my price range. I never wanted to pay 2000$ for a “clone”. So when I found out about this one. I had to have it. As it’s as close as we will probably ever get to owning a real MP5. It just doesn’t have the fun switch. Thanks to WARPIG here I was able get a lead on one and get it heading my way.

Actually, if you have the money, and don't like to compromise, a real H&K SP5 makes a lot of sense. Although certain features are out dates, it's still the standard against which all other PCC's are measured.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Make no mistake. I don’t regret dropping the coin on it at all.....I’m just saying I’m aware of its 1960 era technology and shortcomings.

No rails, no bolt hold open on last round, price , etc etc. but none of that’s relevant to me.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I love my friends but they can pay their own tax and wait, my daughter will do a form 5 when it's time.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There are advantages to a trust for sure.

If your wife is home alone and uses that firearm for self defense as a registered sbr it’s a felony( words spoken directly from a ATF officers mouth) if it’s only registered to you. On a trust you just add her too it with a very basic form as soon as you get the stamp in hand and she can legally posses it anytime

Say you wanna let your dad or brother go shoot it when your not there. Just add them to your trust. You don’t think this will happen but it does.

Easier to leave to your family when your gone.

If you really don’t see yourself ever needing trust protection or ease of transfer/adding heirs then do individual. Sbr stamp won’t take long either way. Saturday at class 3 dealer picking up a suppressor he said 8-12 weeks, with some coming back in 4-6 weeks.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Btw. Why not go pistol brace. SBR has limitations on taking out of state last I checked. Pistol brace is cheapes easiest way to it without any class 3 wait time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Check out Garand Thumb's video on his SP5's.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Btw. Why not go pistol brace. SBR has limitations on taking out of state last I checked. Pistol brace is cheapes easiest way to it without any class 3 wait time.

Maybe. Until they go the way of the bumpstock. Stroke of the pen...

Sean
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Kevin- thanks for the advice.

Erica keeps a 38super on her night stand, and an lcp in the kitchen. I’d imagine she’d grab one of those before running to the safe but who knows.

No siblings that shoot and my dads not a shooter either. I’ve got shooting buddies but I don’t see them ever coming to the house to get a range toy gun....I think I’m gonna go individual and call it a day.

Pistol brace is out because I think they just look goofy. And at 260$ the actual A2 stock plus playing for the stamp is only 150$ more and looks “correct”. And as Sean says, how long until they change their mind on shoulder firing again?

LD- I’ll check it out.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good point.

With 3 kids and 2 bothers that are shooters trust is right for me

For you individual doesn’t sound like it would limit you at all

If I’m not mistaken SBR cannot be transported out of state without some kind of consent form from ATF. I could be wrong on that though

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Good point.

With 3 kids and 2 bothers that are shooters trust is right for me

For you individual doesn’t sound like it would limit you at all

If I’m not mistaken SBR cannot be transported out of state without some kind of consent form from ATF. I could be wrong on that though

You are not wrong.

Need to have a consent form along with your exact route and timing of when are where the SBR will be when it's out of state.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.