Print Thread
Hop To
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/04/28/bullet-jump-research-and-load-development-tips/

Interesting read. If I understand it correctly, the article is basically suggesting that a longer bullet jump may not be as immediately accurate as a bullet length that kisses or jams, but will be more accurate throughout the life of the barrel because you're not having to forever chase eroding lands.

At least that is what I took from it. May have more potential significance for competitive shooters than the average shooter, dunno. I thought it was interesting that they were finding the best average accuracy with a jump that was relatively way out there.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It is an interesting article, but I don't think it's saying the rifle will be more accurate throughout the life of the barrel by staying in that 0.050-0.075" from the lands zone, but that the vertical will be more consistent at distance throughout that range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
It is an interesting article, but I don't think it's saying the rifle will be more accurate throughout the life of the barrel by staying in that 0.050-0.075" from the lands zone, but that the vertical will be more consistent at distance throughout that range.

That’s the way I took it but it’s been a few weeks since I read it. Certainly causes one to re-think chasing the lands for certain applications.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
When this article first came up in "Ask The Gunwriters" a month or two ago, I mentioned that in my experience quite a few newer bullets and rifles shoot more accurately with bullets seated well of the lands. Not all, by any means, but quite a few--especially monolithic bullets and some of the newer high-BC lead-core hunting bullets.

Personally, I am quite happy that this article seems to indicate that my rifles and handloads that do this might remain consistently accurate longer--whether that means smaller groups at any range, or less vertical dispersion at longer ranges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A lot depends on how your rifle is throated. In the article they are shooting precision rifles with tight throats. That helps with alignment.

Factory chamber throats can be ( but not always ) on the loose side. I find getting to the lands helps accuracy. Newer chamberings are spec’d with tight throats and are more jump tolerant. This helps accuracy all around and is why new chamberings tend to shoot really well.

Some rifle manufacturers are catching on and chambering their rifles with more attention to how tight the throat is.

Rifles with long tight throats are also less susceptible to eccentric ammunition. With less than .001” clearance , it’s hard to start a bullet really crooked.

Good accuracy smiths know all of this and subsequently spec their reamers for proper throat clearance. This is one critical aspect to getting older chamberings to shoot tiny groups.

Last edited by akaSawDoctor; 06/28/20.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 51 invisible), 1,999 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.