Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Odd how they don't attack Planned Parenthood - founded by racists. No, they embrace that organization.

Odd how they don't denounce Muhammad, who owned slaves. I guess he made up for it with all the women's rights stuff.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Sycamore
“I think it well, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered.”

"not to keep open the sores of war" ???

WTF??

What next, tear down the "Vietnam" Wall? Tomb of the Unknown Soldier?

I'm about ready to give up.

I take it as referring to our civil war......not in other countries...….bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was obviously written by someone with an agenda.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, if a man says "I think it well, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered" and we think it is a wise sentiment, then to erect a statue of him would be _______________.

IOW, does the existence of a statue of Robert E. Lee endorse civil war and strife, or does it commemorate his surrender, or can it memorialize the course of his life and the conclusions he embraced? I don't think it's all so cut-n-dried. Facts of history exist in the context of all the rest of it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sounds to me whoever wrote that had some skin in the game at some time or another...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to google the qoute. Seems it was Robert E Lee.

I didn't find any context for it. I can see where at the time he would not of wanted reminders of the war. Today it has no bearing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another quote by a college president....

"As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated, my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt ... would have the effect of ... continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour."

Where do these intellectuals come up with this stuff?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waiting for a response, Suckermore.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Lee’s life after the war is far more interesting than during the war. He once told a woman who asked him what she should do with a grand old tree on her property that had been damaged by union fire. He said, “Cut it down, my dear madam, and then forget it.”

A fairly prophetical statement.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Triggered by statues. It’s funny how just as many whites are pulling them down as blacks. The whites involved could care less about the commemorative aspect it’s all about anarchy. Many blacks and others like Obama have no real skin in the game being from Kenya, Singapore and Hawaii, he and others never had ancestors who were slaves in the U.S. What never gets in the conversation is the 597,000 white Union soldiers who were killed, wounded, missing or captured to end slavery. In essence Lincoln lost his life for his actions to abolish slavery as Booth was a radical and believer in the south’s position. Lastly if all statues and history books are purged of this time in history then I never want to hear about it again since it’s been erased I will consider it to be void from ever needing discussion. Moreover I never want to hear the black and white grievance industry again now that there is no reason to be triggered any longer. What will be the next excuse for ones non prosperity, perhaps that would be personal responsibility of which the lack of in a person does not discriminate by skin color.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
“I think it well, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered.”

Like in "enlightened" France, every little town has the names of their sons lost in battle engraved upon the walls of the local church from the Franco-Prufssian War, WW I, WW II, Algeria and Indochina. Then Paris has that Arc de Triomphe thing that has 20 lanes of traffic circulate around it. Oh, and Les Invilides that honors Napolean, and along with him enternally rest Marshall Foch (WWI Supreme Allied Cmdr), Philippe Leclerc de Hauteclocque (WWII) as well as the remains of some 40+ of their war heros.

Who in the hell wrote that drivel you quoted? Which countries is he talking about? Name them! Give me a list, you idiot. UK? Antifa just needs to try to take Nelson out of Trafalger Square. Germany has restored historical sites and references in their country that were banned during post WW II Occupation denazification.

Russia/USSR has thousands of monuments to their war heroes. China has monuments to Revolutionary leaders as does Cuba.

You know who eradicates history/ The Taliban and ISIS!

Sycanmore - is that a Paddler quote because that is one of the most absurd statements posted here ever, and that says a lot?

Hatari,

Are you a closet Yankee or sumpin' ?

that was penned by Marse Robert...

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
So, if a man says "I think it well, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered" and we think it is a wise sentiment, then to erect a statue of him would be _______________.

IOW, does the existence of a statue of Robert E. Lee endorse civil war and strife, or does it commemorate his surrender, or can it memorialize the course of his life and the conclusions he embraced? I don't think it's all so cut-n-dried. Facts of history exist in the context of all the rest of it.

I guess it would depend on what the statue portrayed Robert E. Lee doing, wouldn't it?

Is he handing over his sword?

Is he sitting behind a desk with spectacles on?

Is he saluting the Stars and Stripes?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Appears Lee had a better grip on the strife of the Civil War before, during, and after, than his “followers”.

He was 100% correct in his views about statues.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I didn't find any context for it. I can see where at the time he would not of wanted reminders of the war. Today it has no bearing.

But Sickermore and his crew and their socilist professors believe we are going to die from global warming.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

So go climb the White House fence and get rid of that Orange Man once and for all, genius.

Obviously, fancies himself as part of the intelligentsia. Yeah, they're usually the first to die in a purge, genius.

Laughing.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the statues went up,, they were note sores. They were heroic local boys.

I think they are mad that we tore down Sadaam's statues that he erected to himself...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by MadMooner

But Sickermore and his crew and their socilist professors believe we are going to die from global warming.

non sequitur much?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
When the statues went up,, they were note sores. They were heroic local boys.

I think they are mad that we tore down Sadaam's statues that he erected to himself...

do you know when they went up?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mainly Jim Crow era, no?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome back....

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.