-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Likely going to be there within the next month just to get the kids outta the house. I might be up for a little surf casting. NOT looking to mess with live bait. Will take a 6 1/2' Med/Heavy freshwater rod with some 30lb braid. What handful of artificiale should I take to toss ?? Looking to pack light and fish light. What species would be most likely in the surf at Emerald Isle in the next 2-4 weeks ??

Thanks for the look !!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Try Berkely Gulp 4" pearl white shrimp with 3/8oz jig heads in the surf and inland waterways for flounder. Just caught a 27" flounder on one Tuesday and a couple smaller ones that were legal but I am in SC right now. Just happened to think; Check the regulations! I think it is illegal to have a Flounder in possession in NC right now. Sorry but I pretty much just flounder fish.

God Bless, Louis

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey.......that's a start !!! Thanks for the info !!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Fish bites work for about anything. Should be blues in the surf. Spanish mackerel morning and evening using gotcha plugs. Big whiting have been around. Pompano on sand fleas, you can dig your own. Sharks and skates are always around. Flounder season doesnโ€™t start til August 16. I would put some fresh shrimp and fish bites on a 2 hook bottom rig, find a good slough, fish the 2 hours before and after high tide and just see what is around.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
Fish bites work for about anything. Should be blues in the surf. Spanish mackerel morning and evening using gotcha plugs. Big whiting have been around. Pompano on sand fleas, you can dig your own. Sharks and skates are always around. Flounder season doesnโ€™t start til August 16. I would put some fresh shrimp and fish bites on a 2 hook bottom rig, find a good slough, fish the 2 hours before and after high tide and just see what is around.

Thank you !! Appreciate it !! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is there a size of Gotcha that you prefer for what I'm doing ?? 5/8 ?? 7/8 ?? 1 oz ??

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Try to match it to any bait size you might see or what your rod will cast. Go slightly bigger than smaller. For Spanish, which is about all I use them for except the occasional blue, I like the white body with red head. Tie the line directly to it and reel fast with some jerking motion. It can get intense when a school gets within casting distance and the seagulls are working the baitfish too. Try to avoid catching a bird.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Just make sure the plugs have gold hooks and not the silver ones. A spanish or blue will hit a gold hood by itself. Especially with a piece of red coffee stirring straw on it.

God Bless, Louis

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, forgot about the gold hooks. That is a good tip about the red coffee stirrer.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good info, fellers !!! Thank you, MUCH !!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've caught bluefish, flounder, puppy drum and sea trout on Rattletraps at Oregon Inlet. Don't know how they'll work in the surf but I'd think they'll work for any inshore salt water inlets and the sound. Hard to beat live bait but cut bait on a bottom rig will work in the surf.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 07/03/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give the Bogue Inlet Pier in Emerald Isle a shot - it's been extensively rebuilt since Hurricane Florence and is a nice pier with a good restaurant . Gotcha Plugs are especially designed for Spanish off piers - it's a high angle lure - Gold or Silver body with the gold hooks are good. Down at the point you can fish in the Inlet itself, check out the fishing reports from Pogie's in Swansboro and Freeman's Discount Tackle in Atlantic Beach - both updated frequently on their respective Facebook pages. Croaker, Mullet, Spanish, Specks, all being caught right now. Good luck!
Ps the point is a good walk from the meager parking available - bring your surf/pier cart.

Last edited by Odessa; 07/06/20.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Odessa
Give the Bogue Inlet Pier in Emerald Isle a shot - it's been extensively rebuilt since Hurricane Florence and is a nice pier with a good restaurant . Gotcha Plugs are especially designed for Spanish off piers - it's a high angle lure - Gold or Silver body with the gold hooks are good. Down at the point you can fish in the Inlet itself, check out the fishing reports from Pogie's in Swansboro and Freeman's Discount Tackle in Atlantic Beach - both updated frequently on their respective Facebook pages. Croaker, Mullet, Spanish, Specks, all being caught right now. Good luck!
Ps the point is a good walk from the meager parking available - bring your surf/pier cart.

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Odessa
. Gotcha Plugs are especially designed for Spanish off piers - it's a high angle lure - Gold or Silver body with the gold hooks are good.

OK.................question............

If designed as a high-angle, pier plug, are they still effective from the surf ?? My feet on sand ?? Would they be best retrieved rod tip held high ??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the surf I would use a Clark Spoon, Hopkins, etc., something that attached from the front of the lure. The Gotcha could work in the surf, rod tip held high would help.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Likely going to be there within the next month just to get the kids outta the house. I might be up for a little surf casting. NOT looking to mess with live bait. Will take a 6 1/2' Med/Heavy freshwater rod with some 30lb braid. What handful of artificiale should I take to toss ?? Looking to pack light and fish light. What species would be most likely in the surf at Emerald Isle in the next 2-4 weeks ??

Thanks for the look !!

How did this ever turn out, do any good?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

592 members (06hunter59, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,539
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.