-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pulled the trigger on an Edge for my ‘57 Pre-64 today. Now, I hurry up and wait. I wasn’t aware there was such a long lead time. 6 months. Patience’s a virtue they say.

Last edited by JBabcock; 06/26/20. Reason: Spelling
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You may get lucky and get it sooner. There have been some pretty quick deliveries reported - my last was about 4 months.
What pattern did you go with?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hunters Edge.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
If paired with a fwt it's a great setup...I sure like mine.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve been getting my last few orders in less than 3 months so I believe there is hope you could be hunting it this fall!

Semper Fi
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JBabcock
Hunters Edge.

Glad to hear. My last order I was told they wouldn’t inlet for the pre 64 except for the pre 64 Monte Carlo ... which certainly isn’t true historically but I thought maybe something had changed. At the time I was in a hurry and didn’t want to rock the boat as Rick was helping me get an order in before the prices went up ...

Originally Posted by handwerk

👍

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by handwerk

+2 ...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mine is the Standard, not the Featherweight. It will still bring the weight down, and that’s a good thing. A 30-06 is my big gun now days, and I like the 24” barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing with pre-64’s is the area around the rear guard screw. Dropping a pre-64 into a stock pattern designed around a post-64 action often results in the bottom metal protruding 1/8 inch around the rear screw. Inletting it deeper will not help ... it’s a difference in bottom metal dimensions in that specific area that requires more material to properly accommodate the pre-64 bottom metal.

Obviously, the pre-64 Montecarlo is designed around the pre-64 and thus fit is perfect.

Heads up ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RickBin
The thing with pre-64’s is the area around the rear guard screw. Dropping a pre-64 into a stock pattern designed around a post-64 action often results in the bottom metal protruding 1/8 inch around the rear screw. Inletting it deeper will not help ... it’s a difference in bottom metal dimensions in that specific area that requires more material to properly accommodate the pre-64 bottom metal.

Obviously, the pre-64 Montecarlo is designed around the pre-64 and thus fit is perfect.

Heads up ...

This ^^^^^^ I purchased an extra pre-64 trigger guard. Then used a dremel and fine files to alter the contour of the rear of the trigger guard to match the stock contour.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Heads up ...

They mentioned that. I’m not to concerned with it. This is a hunting rifle and I can live with that. Just want to drop a few ounces.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Heads up ...

They mentioned that. I’m not to concerned with it. This is a hunting rifle and I can live with that. Just want to drop a few ounces.

So you paid that much for a stock knowing it's going to need alterations and you aren't willing to do it yourself. And yes, it can be made right by going a tad deeper with the inletting. I don't know where some of you guys get your info?
Before:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After:

BTDT a few times. Please correct me if I'm wrong.. What you don't want to do is grind down a $50.00 original trigger guard. Please don't do that...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What did you use to inlet that deeper? A Dremel or something like that? Doesn’t effect the trigger engagement?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
... BTDT a few times. Please correct me if I'm wrong.. What you don't want to do is grind down a $50.00 original trigger guard. Please don't do that...

BSA, I respect your opinion. However, I decided I would rather modify a $50 trigger guard that I can replace in a week, versus a $600+ stock with a 6 month lead time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both options listed above will work, along with the option of simply leaving the trigger guard standing proud at the rear. What hasn't been mentioned specifically is that you cannot inlet the front of the trigger guard deeper due to the floor plate and latch. The trigger guard inletting will be slanted deeper to the rear resulting in an odd took to my eye. The posted picture is too close up to see that...

The preferred option for my rifles was to blend the metal properly and refinish. There are plenty of trigger guards out there with deteriorated finishes and no real collector value if yours is too nice to grind.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Have a couple of pre-64 Featherweights and in turn have followed discussions about the various restocking options. Don't recall this stock fitting quirk pertaining to the trigger guard ever being mentioned. Glad I saw this thread and now aware that a McM Hunters Edge (my stock choice) would not be a drop in fit.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Heads up ...

So you paid that much for a stock knowing it's going to need alterations and you aren't willing to do it yourself. And yes, it can be made right by going a tad deeper with the inletting. I don't know where some of you guys get your info?
Before:

After:

BTDT a few times. Please correct me if I'm wrong.. What you don't want to do is grind down a $50.00 original trigger guard. Please don't do that...

You now have a trigger bow that sits below the stock line. What you have done does not make things right. The correct way to do that is to alter the trigger bow. But whatever, fill your boots.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Heads up ...

Before:

After:

Fortunately, pleasing you is the furthest thing from my mind. And frankly I’m not the least bit concerned if it protrudes some. And if I decide it needs to be cleaned up, I’d modify another trigger guard, before I changed the geometry of the stock. It’s a hunting rifle. Not a safe queen.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here are some trigger guard heel pics of my last McMillan order from a few years ago. Pre-64 inlet, featherweight pattern.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That doesn’t look bad to me. Thanks for the pics.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 722 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.