Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My Axis in 243 was $269 and has a stainless barrel...

5 shots at 100 yds off the bench, give a 270 sized hole...

10 shots give ya about a 30/06 caliber sized hole...

plus it came with a free scope on top, that I took off and gave to a kid for his 10/22...who is thrilled...

if they are junk... they are awfully GOOD junk....

I can live with that.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

BP-B6

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I bought one of these tonight. I had been considering a 17 hmr but hell the .223 was cheaper. I sold a gun to a buddy who wanted it and paid for this one

I am a rifle whore. I freely admit it.

Will letcha all know once I get a chance to get it on paper. Trigger pretty light and clean. Surprised me.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/16/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I figure with their rep for accuracy, and everything in a long action, it's almost the same as a Tikka!....'cept the limber stock.

I got a model 10 with the accutrigger. The accutrigger doesn't quite break like glass like old Remingtons I've had, or my Mark II(that may have been worked on), or my 39M. But it's got a nice light pull and is not too bad, not too bad at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Axis I in .308" sports a 12" barrel and a 4" Suppressor. The rifle wears a Weaver K2,5x in fixed rings on the Weaver rail. All up with sling it weighs 6,5 # (suppressed, mind) at 97 cm length.
Ugly is as ugly does - and as it shoots where pointed - rain and shine - and pigs just do not like the 110 TTSX slung, it must not be so ugly, after all. I like it - and at 199 $US it is simply silly to argue.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Stopped by Walmart again yesterday and all they had left in the $198 deal was 308 & 30-06, all other calibers sold out. Im sure other Walmarts in the area still have 223 and 22-250 available.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do own an older Savage 110, in 30-06. I’ve generally not been a big Savage fan, but do acknowledge one doesn’t need a $1200 Sako to kill a deer at 75 yards.

I found a local deal at Walmart, $198 for an Axis 22-250. My only other 22-250 is a heavily customized gun, mid weight. I do like the chambering. It was $208 out the door, perp walk & all.

I thought I’d give it a chance. The trigger isn’t terrible, but I already ordered the modest spring kit. The stock could use some attention, tight on the one side.

I’ve been checking Armslist & Gunbroker, not really hot on spending $800 right now. I don’t have a use in mind, will start with the testing once set up. It has a 1/12” twist. Most of my bullets are more suited to targets, prairie dogs, & coyote hunting.

Anyway, looking forward to testing once set up.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Check the Savage Rebate page too, there may be a rebate on them as well. have to check the models

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The manager of my local Walmart told me the sale of the axis rifles was a local/district decision. He said his Walmart would not sell them for 198, but would sell them for 249.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Walmarts in my area have the Savage Axis in 22-250 for $175 now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't have an Axis but my old Savage 110E was but-ugly and very accurate. My Savage 11-FXP3 is no beauty either, but first group with it was three touching. Both were pre-owned.

Looks are one thing but I prefer accuracy to looks. High-dollar rifles that won''t shoot better than a used Savage don't have a place in my safe.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
They will drop again, if you wait (and they dont sell out). the clearance site I watch is waiting for the next drop. I bought two of them 2 years ago for $169 each, with $30 rebates on top of that. Gave them to my boys for christmas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've spent a lot more time and effort on load development, stock bedding, ring lapping, optics, etc. to get "better" rifle's as far as fit & finish to shoot almost as well as the Axis xp ($259) I took to the range for the first time earlier this week. I used a starting book load, with bargain bullets & Tac, cut two coils off the trigger spring and sanded out the forearm to free float the barrel, 1/2 hour labor. It's not great looking IMO but it looks better now.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 06/27/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a couple and am not a fan of practically anything about them - stock, original trigger, bluing/blacking, fit of everything, rough bolt just an inelegant turd like rifle - that shoots well. Grandson rings steel at 600 yards with his Left handed 30-06 & daughter smokes targets with her heavy barrel 243.

I would never buy one for me but when I’m giving them away they have a wonderful cost appeal for a sub MOA rifle after the trigger springs are clipped.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Axis rifles have some valid drawbacks, but accuracy isn't one of them. My family may own over a dozen by now. Who can say, after those boating accidents?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to a local walmart this morning and saw they had the Axis in 22-250 for $175. They wouldn't sell it to me because I had no ID with my full middle name. She was a manager and said that it was a rule and has been for over a year. I told her she was full of sheet and if there was a more qualified person I could talk to. The dinkless wonder told me to call 1800walmart and walked away. Don't think she like being called incompetent.

I had 8 forms of ID,4 with photo and denied. Anyone heard of this?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Went to a local walmart this morning and saw they had the Axis in 22-250 for $175. They wouldn't sell it to me because I had no ID with my full middle name. She was a manager and said that it was a rule and has been for over a year. I told her she was full of sheet and if there was a more qualified person I could talk to. The dinkless wonder told me to call 1800walmart and walked away. Don't think she like being called incompetent.

I had 8 forms of ID,4 with photo and denied. Anyone heard of this?

Of Walmart employees being incompetent? Or of Walmart sporting goods counter employees being incompetent? Either way, yes. Not all the employees are incompetent, but it seems like they are instilled with a bunch of irrational fears when it comes to selling firearms, like they are moving a bunch of plutonium or something, and so in their minds, they make up a bunch of "requirements" that have nothing to do with any law.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I had a lh axis in .243 and I could shoot golf ball sized groups at 200 yards with it,I sold it for 400 dollars.I never used it hunting and only put 24 shells in total through it.I am not a gun snob,I usually buy higer priced guns but after buying it and a tc impact in 2016 I have changed my thinking as I don't care if it gets scratched or marked up and I never cared about what somebody thinks about my equipment,in real life or online.I figure I can buy a cheap beater for hunting and then have more for my taxidermist bills and hunting trips, along with a nice big bottle of crown to enjoy after a long day in the woods after my prime rib dinner.

I am going to replace that .243 this summer with either a .243 axis compact or most likely a 7mm-08 compact.I just want a beater that will kill animals,I don't need to have the prettiest gun,or the most expensive.I have a safe full of them and they don't do anything "better" from my 28 years hunting and 40 years on earth.

Last edited by Moosie_4570; 07/01/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Savage Axis rifles are....ugly, ugly, more ugly.🤮

I just can’t see buying one when I have other options that are just as good or better. YMMV

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Savage Axis rifles are....ugly, ugly, more ugly.🤮

I just can’t see buying one when I have other options that are just as good or better. YMMV

You are not wrong! I like to buy them when they are on a really good sale just to shoot something new and sell or trade. I am kind of happy with the guns that I have and do not have many I would want to part with so I need something new to buy / sell / trade to stay active in the gun game. It seems tons of people will buy a cheap gun at a higher price, but its hard to sell a nice, quality gun, even it a low price (relative to its worth). I am talking the Facebook, Mewe groups etc, online classified etc. There is a large group of people that wont pay for than $350 for a .270 etc, cuz you can get em for that everywhere. They dont care what kind, what glass is on it, stainless or not... etc. Get the trendy Creedmors and Blackouts etc and trade them for older Rem 700, Win 70 etc.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is a good point Oakster. Both my Axis sold quickly but the Browning and Weatherbys took over a month in the classifieds.

Last edited by 24HourCampFireGuy50; 07/02/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 160user, 14 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.