Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I bought my .338 Winchester mag A-bolt in 1988. I have taken it to Africa 4 times and have taken many deer, elk, moose and other animals with it. It was only gun I used for many years. It is semi retired now. I have many other rifles of several brands, but my A-bolt is the one rifle I would never get rid of.

BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an A bolt in 30-06. I like the rifle but never warmed up to the Boss. Never messed with trying to rebarrel it without the boss. I figure it would be better off to just buy another abolt without one if I really wanted one.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
in the late 80's when i finally had a job that paid decent, first thing i wanted was a good squirrel gun. my budget range was either a 77/22 or the A bolt. i chose the ruger because the browning just looked too disco-era for me. thick, shiny finish, cheesy gold trigger, etc. if they had one that was less gawdy then maybe i would now have a safe full of A bolts instead of 77's.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by chefcreed
I think it just doesn’t fit me well

That is probably it, though they are also a very light rifle, which makes a difference.

FWIW though I have one in .30/06, and I find it very easy to get on with - kicks a lot less than another .30/06 I own, despite that other rifle being heavier. About the most accurate rifle I own too, which is nice, and I've killed a truckload of deer, pigs, goats and other stuff with it. .

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Both son in laws have them, both 7 mags, both shoot really well

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back in the very early 90s, "anybody who wanted to act like somebody" in our neck of the hunting woods in FL had to have a Stainless Stalker ABolt. 270 and 7mm Rem Mags were very popular. I finally got a composite stalker (black) in 270 and it shot very well. That gun went through a lot, I took quite a bit of game with it, but had a few notable mishaps that I blamed on it. All were my fault but after losing a beast of a low fence, south Texas monster, I sold the gun.

I ended up buying a matching composite stalker in 22-250 with BOSS as a sister gun for practice/hogs/truck gun and it served me very well over the years. I still have it, after rebarrelling with a Kreiger.

I would buy another Browning bolt, as they are put together very well and shoot.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ADNA
I bought my .338 Winchester mag A-bolt in 1988. I have taken it to Africa 4 times and have taken many deer, elk, moose and other animals with it. It was only gun I used for many years. It is semi retired now. I have many other rifles of several brands, but my A-bolt is the one rifle I would never get rid of.

Same here. My A-bolt II in 7mm-08 is by far the best “out of the box” shooter I own, and it will be the last rifle I own when the time comes to sell the herd.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love my stainless 260 A-Bolt.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Way over-complicated triggers prone to failure in rough going. I have seen more in-field failures with them than all other makes and models combined. And that involves far fewer a-borts... several failures were with posters from here. Most common failure has been corrosion in the wire link in the trigger. It seizes and rifle will not shoot.

No issues with Browning, own and use quite a few of their other guns, even own an A-bort in 375 H&H.

And not only corrosion, but moisture/condensation freeze up can shut the whole dance down...and has.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
I own a few (22 lr, 22-250, 223 WSSM, 270 WSM and 325 WSM) and they’ve been fantastic. The 223 WSSM and 270 WSM are two of the most accurate rifles I own.

What sort of accuracy do you get out of those? I've got an X-bolt stainless stalker in 325WSM that does 0.75MOA.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been shooting A-Bolts since 1988 (7mm RM Composite) and it shot very good, took my first elk with that rifle. My father has a SS 270 that he has taken elk, mule deer and white tails with, shoots great. I now have his Composite Stalker BOSS in 7mm RM, it will shoot with any custom rifle I have. Never had or saw a trigger failure. In 1988, we rafted down the Deschutes River across from the Warm Springs Indian Reservation, my rifle got soaked during the trip and no one bought oil (I flew in from the east coast), I wiped the rifle off with a paper towel and went hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Interior Oregon, although wet, doesnt take the same toll on metal as does areas with heavy salt spray, which happens quick.

The A-Bolts are certainly accurate, and if you are not in the extremes, they will get the job done.

I'll run mine in fair weather, Whitetails, pronghorn, woodchucks, etc.
But for times when I have to trust my rifle, I'll be running my Model 70's.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
A few of you mates from down under like the 325wsm. Some Kiwis from New Zealand too. It’s a great cartridge. I got an ABolt titanium in the 325. Can’t go wrong with a powerful 8mm. It’s a good open country cartridge in a nice rifle you got there. A few of us yanks and Canucks up north like them too. I got a Kimber in 325 also. They are both under an inch most of the time.

Last edited by Vinootz; 06/28/20. Reason: Spacing
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Had one of the early Micro Medallions in 284 Winchester.🙂

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Vinootz
A few of you mates from down under like the 325wsm. Some Kiwis from New Zealand too. It’s a great cartridge. I got an ABolt titanium in the 325. Can’t go wrong with a powerful 8mm. It’s a good open country cartridge in a nice rifle you got there. A few of us yanks and Canucks up north like them too. I got a Kimber in 325 also. They are both under an inch most of the time.

8mm isn't all that popular a calibre down here, but I've got a couple of ex-mil Mausers so have stock of projectiles. I've always wanted an 8mmRM but never got around to buying one, and now they are like hen's teeth here. The 325WSM is the next best thing, and I wasn't expecting the skinny barrel Browning to shoot that well.

Well?
JD45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You mean you can own a rifle down there ? Fill us in on your guns laws please. I only know what I hear on the fake news.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Have LH 280 Abolt stainless stalker and 25 and 243 WSSM in just stalker models and they all just straight up shoot out of the box.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Way over-complicated triggers prone to failure in rough going. I have seen more in-field failures with them than all other makes and models combined. And that involves far fewer a-borts... several failures were with posters from here. Most common failure has been corrosion in the wire link in the trigger. It seizes and rifle will not shoot.

No issues with Browning, own and use quite a few of their other guns, even own an A-bort in 375 H&H.

And not only corrosion, but moisture/condensation freeze up can shut the whole dance down...and has.

Yea, about as much as it can any other trigger, including God's trigger (Winchester M70 before M.O.A.)
Lord have mercy, let me grab that flame suit! RJ

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JD45
You mean you can own a rifle down there ? Fill us in on your guns laws please. I only know what I hear on the fake news.

Yes. The firearms/weapons laws are state controlled and each state is a bit different. I live in QLD (Queensland) and a summary of the licence types are here:

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-licensing/what-are-weapons-categories

Firearms licence in QLD is called a weapons licence, but you are not allowed to use them as weapons (except....). A committee obviously came up with the naming because it's inappropriate, nonsensical and contradictory meaning.

The net result for me is:

I have a bolt action 22 on a Category A licence that I can use on a range or out hunting. I also have an under-lever 0.177 air rifle on this licence.

! have a 9mm semi-auto pistol on a category H licence that I can only use at a target range and have to provide evidence of having used it in 6 events every year.

I have several bolt action rifles (308, 8x57, 30/06, 325WSM, 375H&H, 458WM) and a 500NE double rifle. All these are on a Category B licence and I can use on a range or out hunting.

A genuine reason is needed when I applied to purchase each firearm, and that being target shooting and hunting.

Note that the licence applies to the person, but the firearms are registered under that person's licence.

I also have an antique 1849 Colt pocket revolver that is registered but not under any licence (ie no licence required).

Semi-auto centrefire rifles are Category D but I don't have any, or that licence. Conditions of licence are more strict for that class.

Note that 50cal Browning is Category R, that also contains machine guns in that class.

I think I need to buy a 6.5mm bolt action rifle of some sort, a 22 magnum (Browning T-bolt?) and possibly a shotgun.

I miss my M14.

Well?
JD45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you so much for sharing that with us! Nice to hear from a real citizen there.

I'm so glad that you can enjoy something, because I feel you enjoy shooting as much as anyone, but I hate your gov't even more now.

A sissy ass, pantywaste communist prick came up with all those laws.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.