Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
My son and DIL have a never ending debate with me about which is best. The Gen 4 or Gen 5.

My son claims Glock did not improve anything so why not choose the Gen 4. He in general hates Glocks anyway.

I believe the finish looks and is truly better on the Gen 5. The trigger and barrel is also slightly better.

I truly do not like the finish on Gen 4 Glocks and I have read several reviews from people who have had issue with the finish as well.

If given a choice, I will take a Gen 5 every time over a Gen 4.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 06/27/20.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
BP-B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Manufacturing 101: Sell something at a greater cost with less manufacturing expense.

The cheapest thing to "improve" is appearance, which isnt difficult with plastics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t own any glocks, but been toying around getting one for the past couple weeks.
Either a 19 or a 45. So I’ve been watching and reading just about everything I can.
I’d go with the gen 5 because I like the non finger groove grip. And supposedly it has a match barrel. I’m favoring the 45 because my local shop has one with factory night sights. The front sight is green center with orange outline, pretty nice sights.
And yes the trigger and finish are supposed to be an improvement?
I like the fact that they come with 3 mags.
It wouldn’t be my everyday carry but I’m sure I’d work it in my winter attire.
I’ve also been looking at the S&W mp 2.0 9mm with the 3.6”bbl. 15rnd. It has gotten some good reviews. And it’s about $100 cheaper, but no night sights. They would be another $100 after market add on. Seems like all S&W mp 2.0’s with night sights are law enforcement only guns. No idea why.
Decisions Decisions

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like the features better, flared magwell, forward slide serrations, no finger grooves, trigger, the breech face cut that eliminates BTF and the general look of the gen 5's.

Across the board they are supposed to be more accurate but I've shot a single gen 4 that has turned in some incredible offhand groups.

I don't think it's worth debating which is best, it's a choice, make it for yourself.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
This thread is close to being trollish.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
I don’t own any glocks, but been toying around getting one for the past couple weeks.
Either a 19 or a 45. So I’ve been watching and reading just about everything I can.
I’d go with the gen 5 because I like the non finger groove grip. And supposedly it has a match barrel. I’m favoring the 45 because my local shop has one with factory night sights. The front sight is green center with orange outline, pretty nice sights.
And yes the trigger and finish are supposed to be an improvement?
I like the fact that they come with 3 mags.
It wouldn’t be my everyday carry but I’m sure I’d work it in my winter attire.
I’ve also been looking at the S&W mp 2.0 9mm with the 3.6”bbl. 15rnd. It has gotten some good reviews. And it’s about $100 cheaper, but no night sights. They would be another $100 after market add on. Seems like all S&W mp 2.0’s with night sights are law enforcement only guns. No idea why.
Decisions Decisions

HeavyLoad,

IMHO, I'd say you have drilled down to the meat of the matter, as far as semi-auto carry pieces go. I've handled all 3 of those at least 10x.

Another one you might consider is the Sig 365 or 365 xl. I picked up a 365 xl several months ago and really like it. The grip angle also makes it very easy for me to shoot accurately. Also comes with factory night sights. I carry it in a Milt Sparks VM II IWB that I carried a Kahr PM9 in for years. Fits very close to the body. I rotate between it and a G19 for daily carry, depending on what clothes I'm wearing that day.

I'm liking the 365 xl so much, I ordered another one, just because. With these commie squirrels in DC and the chaos they're causing, you never know.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I’d take a gen 2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I already have the 365, my favorite and most accurate carry gun.
I’m looking more towards a range/nightstand gun. And a winter carry option.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
My son and DIL have a never ending debate with me about which is best. The Gen 4 or Gen 5.

My son claims Glock did not improve anything so why not choose the Gen 4. He in general hates Glocks anyway.

I believe the finish looks and is truly better on the Gen 5. The trigger and barrel is also slightly better.

I truly do not like the finish on Gen 4 Glocks and I have read several reviews from people who have had issue with the finish as well.

If given a choice, I will take a Gen 5 every time over a Gen 4.

The Gen 5 Glocks have several changes vs the Gen 4, but only two improvements, IMO. Firstly, they beveled the muzzle end of the slide (as they had always done only for their subcompact models, previously), and secondly they got rid of the finger grooves. Finger grooves are fine if your particular hand happens to fit them right, but otherwise they cause issues. For example, the finger grooves on the gen 4 Model 17 fit my hand like a glove, but on the Gen 4 Model 19, they don't, since they are closer together, so on the 19, my pinky rests on the point of the last finger groove instead of in the groove itself, throwing off the feel of my grip on the gun. Finger grooves were a huge mistake to start with. Otherwise, I can take or leave any of the other Gen 5 changes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first Glocks were Gen 5's so no opinion on Gen 4's, at least none based on experience.

The half moon cutout on the first Gen 5 grips is a deal breaker, it's annoying and uncomfortable, the newer ones with the front serrations (FS in the description) did away with that. Agree with everyone else, the removal of finger grooves is a great improvement. Generational differences aside, "Glocks work" is the bottom line and all I really care about. The other stuff is moot for me but makes good fodder for debate. As a leftie I really appreciate the ambidextrous slide release on the Gen 5 that functions equally well on both sides.

Originally Posted by HeavyLoad

I’d go with the gen 5 because I like the non finger groove grip. And supposedly it has a match barrel...

I’ve also been looking at the S&W mp 2.0 9mm with the 3.6”bbl. 15rnd. It has gotten some good reviews. And it’s about $100 cheaper, but no night sights. They would be another $100 after market add on. Seems like all S&W mp 2.0’s with night sights are law enforcement only guns. No idea why...

Fired and compared a Smith 2.0 4" Compact against the Glock 19 and 17 extensively. All are capable of one raggedy hole accuracy at 7 yards if you're careful but the Smith trigger is easier to manage in aimed slow fire. But that's not what these pistols are about. The Smith is more comfortable in the hand, you don't get Glock knuckle. Both have ambi slide releases (ostensibly) and easily reversible mag releases.

I thought long and hard and let the Smith Compact go for the sole reason that the slide release lever on the right side - the one a leftie would use - is almost non-functional where the Glocks work well. Otherwise I would have chosen the Smith. That's probably a non-issue for most but thought I'd mention it. I am keeping a full size 5" Smith 2.0, the FDE model, simply because I really like it and it's very easy to shoot, but it's a range toy and a Glock 17 is the main full size self defense pistol for home or vehicle. All that said, a Sig P365 or 365 XL are the concealed carry pieces.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, I have two Gen 5 Glocks, and neither has the half moon cut out. The Gen 5 Model 26 never had it, and I waited till they got rid of it on the Gen 5 Model 19 before I bought one.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I still have 2 M&P 2.0 Compacts with 4" barrels and an M&P45, all 3 are fine guns that I still shoot.

I started looking at the gen 5 Glock's and wound up buying a G45 then a G17 MOS FS and finally a G19 FS. I have spent a lot of time with the 19 and eventually sold the 45 and a 43 I forgot about. I kept the 17 with the red dot but picked up a G44 to go with the 19 and I find the 19 to be my favorite. It's easily concealable and I shoot it just as good as the Smith's. The only mods were a set of Trijicon HD XR sights. I carry it everyday, no one including myself thought I'd switch from the Smith's but I did.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
It appears I have a lot of support from most of you guys here for the Gen 5!

I'm with you guys. I do believe it is better and offers more positive features over the Gen 4.

Liberalism is a cancer
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'm of two minds on the finger grooves. On the one hand, the ones on the 19 fit my hand perfectly. On the other hand, I really don't need them for control on a 9mm. Do I wish that my old Gen2 G23 had them? Hell yes!

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I'm of two minds on the finger grooves. On the one hand, the ones on the 19 fit my hand perfectly. On the other hand, I really don't need them for control on a 9mm. Do I wish that my old Gen2 G23 had them? Hell yes!

I agree. The finger groove models fit my hand and I never had a problem with them. That said, the new Gen 5 grips feels great as well.

There were little improvements in the finish, barrel, trigger and slide that were not earth shaking, but they are improvements none-the-less.

I will say the best handgun finish ever was the original Tennifer, on the early models. About 1/2 way through Gen 3 production is when I believe it went down hill. The Gen 4 finish is perhaps the worst. Hopefully, the Gen 5 finish will prove better.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 06/28/20.

Liberalism is a cancer
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is like splitting c...unt hairs.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True, but were it not for bifurcated pubic pili, forum traffic worldwide would decrease some 47%...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by UPhiker

I agree. The finger groove models fit my hand and I never had a problem with them. That said, the new Gen 5 grips feels great as well.

There were little improvements in the finish, barrel, trigger and slide that were not earth shaking, but they are improvements none-the-less.

I will say the best handgun finish ever was the original Tennifer, on the early models. About 1/2 way through Gen 3 production is when I believe it went down hill. The Gen 4 finish is perhaps the worst. Hopefully, the Gen 5 finish will prove better.

I always regret selling my early 1990s, Gen 2 Glock 19. Had that Tennifer finish and no finger grooves. Best of both worlds.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The finger grooves on the 17 fit my hand just right but the 19 was scrunched up under the trigger guard. Not needed for recoil but helped with grip indexing on the draw for some I guess.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It appears I have a lot of support from most of you guys here for the Gen 5!

I'm with you guys. I do believe it is better and offers more positive features over the Gen 4.

If a person is buying new I can't imagine why they'd want a 4 over the five.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.