Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Reading thru Hermann Lehmanns book (titled above) seeking out the usual historical tidbits. Ruffcutt and I were had just glanced upon the tortures and treatment of captives/prisoner.

Ran across a comment by Lehmann. He at the time was with a band of Apaches as they are the ones who first captured him. Their band was visited by a band of Comanches that had a white captive with them. About his age. Another child of German settlers to Texas name of Adolph Korn. He said they conversed in German so neither of their captors could understand them.

(While with the Apaches he mentions the on again and off again stints on one of the New Mexico reservations. And how he had to be hidden in the woods when the soldier came thru on an inspection.)

This encounter with Korn would have been circa 1870-71ish. So I took this to mean that by this time these two bands had learned enough English to be dangerous to them. I found that interesting.

Lehmann does describe that he witnessed the execution of white children captives who would not settle down and be quiet on the trail. Not pretty.

While on the subject of captives. Have also read the story of the Smith boys captured in Comal county. A good read but I certainly feel a bit more artistic license was used in this narrative. I also highly recommend Wilbargers monumental work “Indian Depredations in Texas”. While a bit dated now, it contains a weath of primary document gathered thru the interviews of surviving participants. As does Deshield’s The Border Wars of Texas"

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only $2.99 on my Kindle. Been looking for more good books to read and this genre is right up my alley.

Thanks for the heads-up!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hey! You’re welcome Morewood!

Good reading!

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The Boy Captives

By Clinton Smith

Is tbe other book I mentioned. It is still a good read.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've read of Lehman's captivity in On the Open Range by J. Frank Dobie. My copy is durned near wore out as my Grandma from Dallas gave it to me when I was a kid. IIRC, his parting with the Comanch was after he was forced to kill their tribe's medicine man after he wouldn't leave him alone for some reason I've forgotten. Lehman took the evil native's Winchester and killed stuff with it until the ammo ran out and then hid it in a cave, IIRC.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Time for me to reread both of those. I read some about the Parker Fort family and captives, I don't
remember which book it was right off, but it was alot of info.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
Time for me to reread both of those. I read some about the Parker Fort family and captives, I don't
remember which book it was right off, but it was alot of info.
On the Open Range also has the gist of the tale of Cynthia Anne Parker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In light of your reading interests may I recommend "A Land So Strange" by Andres Resendez.
In 1528, a mission set out from Spain to colonize Florida. But the expedition went horribly wrong: Delayed by a hurricane, knocked off course by a colossal error of navigation, and ultimately doomed by a disastrous decision to separate the men from their ships, the mission quickly became a desperate journey of survival.

Of the 300 men who had embarked on the journey, only four survived - three Spaniards and an African slave. This tiny band endured a horrific march through Florida, a harrowing raft passage across the Louisiana coast, and years of enslavement in the American Southwest. They journeyed for almost 10 years in search of the Pacific Ocean that would guide them home, and they were forever changed by their experience. The men lived with a variety of nomadic Indians and learned several indigenous languages. They saw lands, peoples, plants, and animals that no outsider had ever seen before.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
J. Frank Dobie stated that Lehmann’s story was the definitive white captives story.

I think Quanah pretty much talked him into going back to his family in Gillespie Co.

Wasn’t the medicine man an Apache and his murder the reason he escaped to the Comanches???

I also believe Quanah was instrumental in seeing that Lehmann received a Comanche allotment (land) at Ft. Sill as he stated he was an official member of the tribe. Lehmann went back and lived there for a while.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Reading thru Hermann Lehmanns book (titled above) seeking out the usual historical tidbits. Ruffcutt and I were had just glanced upon the tortures and treatment of captives/prisoner.

Ran across a comment by Lehmann. He at the time was with a band of Apaches as they are the ones who first captured him. Their band was visited by a band of Comanches that had a white captive with them. About his age. Another child of German settlers to Texas name of Adolph Korn. He said they conversed in German so neither of their captors could understand them.

(While with the Apaches he mentions the on again and off again stints on one of the New Mexico reservations. And how he had to be hidden in the woods when the soldier came thru on an inspection.)

This encounter with Korn would have been circa 1870-71ish. So I took this to mean that by this time these two bands had learned enough English to be dangerous to them. I found that interesting.

Lehmann does describe that he witnessed the execution of white children captives who would not settle down and be quiet on the trail. Not pretty.

While on the subject of captives. Have also read the story of the Smith boys captured in Comal county. A good read but I certainly feel a bit more artistic license was used in this narrative. I also highly recommend Wilbargers monumental work “Indian Depredations in Texas”. While a bit dated now, it contains a weath of primary document gathered thru the interviews of surviving participants. As does Deshield’s The Border Wars of Texas"

The cave where he lived in Mason County I got to see a while back. Pretty cool stuff...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Morewood
In light of your reading interests may I recommend "A Land So Strange" by Andres Resendez.
In 1528, a mission set out from Spain to colonize Florida. But the expedition went horribly wrong: Delayed by a hurricane, knocked off course by a colossal error of navigation, and ultimately doomed by a disastrous decision to separate the men from their ships, the mission quickly became a desperate journey of survival.

Of the 300 men who had embarked on the journey, only four survived - three Spaniards and an African slave. This tiny band endured a horrific march through Florida, a harrowing raft passage across the Louisiana coast, and years of enslavement in the American Southwest. They journeyed for almost 10 years in search of the Pacific Ocean that would guide them home, and they were forever changed by their experience. The men lived with a variety of nomadic Indians and learned several indigenous languages. They saw lands, peoples, plants, and animals that no outsider had ever seen before.

Cabesa de Vaca’s story!! Have read his account!! Another classic!!!

Thanks!!!

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by GregW

The cave where he lived in Mason County I got to see a while back. Pretty cool stuff...

Mason is an awesome county!!! I love the place as well as Menard county.

Our old TxDOT maintenance supvr. in Mason, Wibby Shearer had all kinds of stuff he had dug up being raised there. He had oodles of neat stuff he dug up at old Fort Mason. He’s long passed now and best I know the historical society there now has his collection. They have a nice museum on the square.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/28/20.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Our old TxDOT maintenance supvr. in Mason, Wibby Shearer had all kinds of stuff he had dug up being raised there. He had oodles of neat stuff he dug up at old Fort Mason. He’s long passed now and best I know the historical society there now has his collection. They have a nice museum on the square.

The TxDOT yard a few miles east of Mason on the Llano Highway, my parents live about 3 miles NE of....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Flagging for a return so I can find the names later.

Thx
K

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob,

I may have to look that one up. Sounds like a cool read.

Way before that kind of history, but still an interesting take on captivity, if you ever get a chance to read Col Ethan Allen's Narrative of his captivity you might enjoy it.

I was particularly intrigued by parts where he discussed the poor treatment of an Officer by the Brits. I mean, after all, he was no common soldier and should not have been treated as such, right.

I'd send you my very old copy, perhaps early 1800's, but I'd not trust it to the USPS..............ever!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep. Good one. I’ve bought it at least twice to pass it along.
The Boy Captives

By Clinton Smith

Is tbe other book I mentioned. It is still a good read.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Wasn’t the medicine man an Apache and his murder the reason he escaped to the Comanches???

Probably.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd have to read it again to know for sure, but you're probably right Bob.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'd have to read it again to know for sure, but you're probably right Bob.

I haven’t got quite that far yet in this narritive. So I’m guessing from the other sources Ive read on subject myself.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

The TxDOT yard a few miles east of Mason on the Llano Highway, my parents live about 3 miles NE of....

Going back toward the Fly Gap? All good country!!

Founder

WS

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.