Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Skeleton stock stainless Ruger M77 would be hard to beat.

This

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would probably opt for a Winchester m70 with a weatherproof finish and synthetic stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington 700 or 7.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any of my Ruger M77, MKII or Hawkeye rifles, particularly the stainless./boat paddle .30-06 or .338WM MKII's, stainless/synthetic Hawkeye .280 Rem or blue/boat paddle .300WM.

Savage 11, 111, et al., no. Remington M700, no.

There are others I would trust, others I would not. As others have said, the closer to a '98 Mauser the better. I would also want a simple, open trigger.

Backup iron sights would be a good thing, too. My stainless/boat paddle .338WM has them, as does my blue/wood M77 in 7mm RM.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Mauser 98

The only rifle I ever owned that let me down in the field was a Mauser '98. The trigger was adjusted to a point where it ceased cocking so my fallow hunt was interrupted.
The rifle was made by John Rigby and Son and chambered in .275 Rigby.

Should have taken taken the Model 70 Featherweight with me..........Push feed of course.

I'll be darned!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All my serious hunting rifles are based on milsurp and commercial 98 Mauser actions. I have rifles based on other actions but with one exception all those have been left strictly stock and mostly used as range rifles.
I guess that pretty much says it all. I'll go with the M98 Mauser as my most reliable rifle(s). wink
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Out my safe, the tikka as well.
Saw someone mention cz 527, that’s the one I trust the least

That is because you don't own one, The CZ 527 is as reliable a rifle as you will ever own, I own a few and see zero issues with them.
There are some on the fire that get all teared up about the safety but a non issue for me. only down side is that they are a small action and the biggest cartridge they chamber is 6.5Grendel. for 223 size rounds the CZ 527 is as good as it gets.
For larger rounds have been shooting Sako's most of my life with zero issues, have not had the sister Tikka's long enough to say for sure but guessing they will be as good.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
When a trigger is adjusted to where it fails, that is not the fault of the rifle. For me, a Model 98 with as little modification as possible is unbeatable. Change the original trigger and you have compromised the rifle design. Change to a cartridge other than that for which the action was intended and you have compromised the rifle design. GD

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Dre
Out my safe, the tikka as well.
Saw someone mention cz 527, that’s the one I trust the least

That is because you don't own one, The CZ 527 is as reliable a rifle as you will ever own, I own a few and see zero issues with them.
There are some on the fire that get all teared up about the safety but a non issue for me. only down side is that they are a small action and the biggest cartridge they chamber is 6.5Grendel. for 223 size rounds the CZ 527 is as good as it gets.
For larger rounds have been shooting Sako's most of my life with zero issues, have not had the sister Tikka's long enough to say for sure but guessing they will be as good.

Actually I do Have the 527 carbine in 76239
But after the magazine release failed twice (not hold the magazine in/kept falling out)
I just don’t trust it.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Model 77 Mark II with Timney (stainless)

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Skeleton stock stainless Ruger M77 would be hard to beat.

Yep.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mauser 98

The only rifle I ever owned that let me down in the field was a Mauser '98. The trigger was adjusted to a point where it ceased cocking so my fallow hunt was interrupted.

Should have taken taken the Model 70 Featherweight with me..........Push feed of course.

I'll be darned!

Yeah, blame it on the rifle because someone didnt know how to adjust a trigger. Thats laughable. When i was 12, i got my first big game rifle (sporterized m1917 with a heavy barrel and timney trigger) and even at an early age, i found out you dont want a hunting rifle with such a light trigger. Mine was so light/improperly adjusted, that it went off a couple times after i took the safety off. At 12 years old, i adjusted my first Timney, the rest was history. You would think a guy would be pretty damned prepared, going on a special hunt. Maybe not though?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Mauser 98

I'll be darned!

Yeah, blame it on the rifle because someone didnt know how to adjust a trigger. Thats laughable. When i was 12, i got my first big game rifle (sporterized m1917 with a heavy barrel and timney trigger) and even at an early age, i found out you dont want a hunting rifle with such a light trigger. Mine was so light/improperly adjusted, that it went off a couple times after i took the safety off. At 12 years old, i adjusted my first Timney, the rest was history. You would think a guy would be pretty damned prepared, going on a special hunt. Maybe not though?

If there ever was a person on this board that shot less and talked more about it, I don’t know who that person would be.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my Blaser.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Most guns pretty reliable, till they aint, maybe a better question would be, what guns have failed?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Oh just read more of this, "when i was 12. When i was 8, my granpappy had"..... settle down silly girls

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mauser 98

I'll be darned!

What do you consider a "light" trigger? My main hunting rifle has a 2lb trigger, and I am seriously thinking about getting it even lighter.

Secondly, Aussie's often hunt fallows like Americans hunt whitetails....it often isn't a "special" hunt for them.

Third....accidental discharge when the safety was clicked off.....nevermind.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 1972 win mod 70 in 270 bought it new never failed me, Im surprised no kimbers. I never had a kimber but they sure look nice and feel nice to hold.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Any one that I own, M70's, M700's, M77's, Mauser's, Marlin's, Savage's...

Ive had a lot of rem 700 and savage extractors fail. They are by far the least reliable. I wont use a 700 anymore. They are like leupolds.

I have had none and will be taking my Leupold scoped 338-06 M700 again to BC (hopefully...) in September for goat, moose and elk. A lot of critters have fallen to that rifle.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Save your breath, he’s an idiot.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Mauser 98

I'll be darned!

What do you consider a "light" trigger? My main hunting rifle has a 2lb trigger, and I am seriously thinking about getting it even lighter.

Secondly, Aussie's often hunt fallows like American's hunt whitetails....it often isn't a "special" hunt for them.

Third....accidental discharge when the safety was clicked off.....nevermind.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 60 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.