Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Been hunting for 20 plus years now but grew up in a family that always took our deer to the processor. I kill 3 whitetails a year now on average and need to start doing my own. I don't like relying on the processor being open, and I know I can do a better job. That said I wanted to get some opinions and advice before buying equipment. I don't mind spending for good stuff but would like to avoid having more crap lying around that I don't really need. Starting from scratch really so any ideas welcome. I will be needing a grinder for sure, never used one, do the good electric jobs save a lot of time over a manual crank model? What kind of knives would be helpful? I have my buck 110, and a good santoku and paring knife on hand. Also any good youtube or other video suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been using one of the cheap Northern Tool, $120 grinder for about 30 years and it is still going strong.Elk, antelope,deer each year. I understand the newer ones have plastic gears though.Years ago I rigged up a hand crank grinder by adding a pulley and driving it with an electric motor. I sure would not be spending $400 on a grinder for what you intend to do.

Fillet knife
Long thin deep blade for cutting steaks
Sharpening steel & stones
A heavier knife with about a 7-8" blade for working around bones that won't break.
Cutting board ( good size)
Couple bigger containers to let the grind fall into
Table
Bleach.When done clean and disinfect everything with water/ bleach
Freezer paper, tape, plastic wrap if you want to wrap meat first before freezer paper. I have never used vacuum pack,some swear by it.

You don't need top of the line knives,but don't go cheap.Check out Goodwill, ARC, and Salvation Army. A lot of times when grandma and grandpa passes on the kids just take all their stuff to such outlets and you can find some old good tools. I wouldn't bother with the Buck

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/28/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
About 12 years ago I bought some Victornox boning knives. Cheap and easy to sharpen. They have served their purpose. I bought a good electric grinder From LEM on sale. I think its a 1 or 1.5 hp. Grinds faster than I can load it. I also bought a stuffer but I didnt buy a big enough one. Next one I buy will be at lease 30 lb one. I consider my grinder the backbone of the equipment. I use it for more than just wild game as I make different pork sausages using pork butt when I can buy them on sale. You can do a lot of processing with some boning knives , sharpener and a grinder. I also purchsed a vac packer.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We cut ours into meal sized pieces and wrap them in plastic wrap. Then we put several meals in a gallon zip lock. They'll keep a couple years like that as long as you squeeze out the air every time you take out a meal and reclose it. Don't use just the zip lock. They won't prevent freezer burn. You need the plastic wrap inside. For the best air removal, use a soda straw. Zip the bag right up to the straw and suck on it to pull out the air. To finish, just pull out the straw while still sucking and snap it shut.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have been using one of the cheap Northern Tool, $120 grinder for about 30 years and it is still going strong.Elk, antelope,deer each year. I understand the newer ones have plastic gears though.Years ago I rigged up a hand crank grinder by adding a pulley and driving it with an electric motor. I sure would not be spending $400 on a grinder for what you intend to do.

Fillet knife
Long thin deep blade for cutting steaks
Sharpening steel & stones
A heavier knife with about a 7-8" blade for working around bones that won't break.
Cutting board ( good size)
Couple bigger containers to let the grind fall into
Table
Bleach.When done clean and disinfect everything with water/ bleach
Freezer paper, tape, plastic wrap if you want to wrap meat first before freezer paper. I have never used vacuum pack,some swear by it.

You don't need top of the line knives,but don't go cheap.Check out Goodwill, ARC, and Salvation Army. A lot of times when grandma and grandpa passes on the kids just take all their stuff to such outlets and you can find some old good tools. I wouldn't bother with the Buck

Used plastic wrap for years, then about 10 years ago started using the produce bags from the grocery store. I have found most stores will sell you a full roll or 2 out of the back if you go ask someone in the produce department. I find the bags are quicker and easier to use than plastic wrap, and achieve the same goal.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigswede358
[quote=saddlesore]

Used plastic wrap for years, then about 10 years ago started using the produce bags from the grocery store. I have found most stores will sell you a full roll or 2 out of the back if you go ask someone in the produce department. I find the bags are quicker and easier to use than plastic wrap, and achieve the same goal.
You can get produce bags from Amazon or Ebay. Just search for 'plastic produce bags'. None of them seem to tell you what mil they are, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Get the grinder. Depending on how much meat you do at a time is the size. My big one has a tray that is 4' x 18". 3hr 220volt. 3-4 elk go down the 4" throat almost as quick as you can feed it. I bought the large Cabella's Carnivor for the smaller times.
Collect some knives Fillet. paring, and a big one for slicing steaks. I like the BUBA BLADE none slip handles Get a good sharpener.
Found a slicer from a business that was closing down. Real handy. Jerky Steaks... Keep the meat at almost frozen for slicing. Flimsy meat don't slice well.
We wrap in plastic, then in paper. No freezer burn.

Last edited by wyowinchester; 06/28/20.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All good advice.

Ditto on the grinder. Buy the best/biggest one you can. I have a 1hp Cabelas and love it.

Meat mixer if you are doing a lot of sausage and/or ground meat jerky.

I really like vacuum packers.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
A nice sized piece of high density polyethylene . You may even want it cut to the size of your kitchen counter or the table you plan to work on. It's really an advantage to be able to place a larger cut in a place you feel comfortable working to make your other cuts and trim work. It sounds like it's not a necessity but once you start working on your own game you'll understand

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Nathan13
A nice sized piece of high density polyethylene . You may even want it cut to the size of your kitchen counter or the table you plan to work on. It's really an advantage to be able to place a larger cut in a place you feel comfortable working to make your other cuts and trim work. It sounds like it's not a necessity but once you start working on your own game you'll understand

^^^^ This is probably the single best improvement in my butchering operation I have ever made.

Along with the big sheet of 1” plastic cutting board I use a 10” filet knife, an 8” Henkel kitchen knife, an antique Berkel slicer, and the grinder attachment for my wife’s Kitchenaid mixer.

Take it slow and do a good job, then you get to enjoy the product of your time for the rest of the year.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with what the other guys have said. If you're going to wrap your meat instead of vacuum packing, then make sure to use freezer paper (poly lined) not butcher paper. When wrapped in freezer paper (no plastic wrap needed, as the poly lining on the paper serves a similar purpose) the meat in my chest freezers lasts 8+ years without freezer burn when the odd package gets lost in the cracks. The key is to get all the air out and wrap tight. I believe in maximizing value versus cost even if that means "buy once, cry once", and would recommend the following equipment:

- Victorinox boning knife, I like 6" curved semi-stiff: Link

- Victorinox 10" breaking knife or scimitar knife (either works): Link

- Honing steel

- Paper dispenser, 18", like this: Link

- Freezer paper, 18", like this: Link

- Masking tape, 3/4-1" width for taping wrapped meat packages, and black Sharpie for labeling

- Grinder with metal gears. I have an LEM, and it's built to last: Link

- Nitrile or latex gloves

- (2) Large 18"x24" cutting boards: Link

- 12.5G Plastic meat bins: Link

- Bleach for cleanup and disinfecting

Optional:

- Large SS mixing bowls (particularly if you want to make sausage or ground jerky)

- Butcher twine if you want to tie up roasts. Similar to this: Link

- A meat saw is nice if you want to cut rib racks. Like this: Link

- If you want to hang your animals for butchering, then meat hooks are handy: Link

- A handled meat hook can be handy since meat can be slippery: Link

And here's a decent tutorial:

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I was gonna reccomend a video by the bearded butchers. That guy really has a knack for explaining how he works. I really enjoy watching his videos and they are very informative

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
After noon pals, I agree with everyone above, maybe a small band saw later, some guys have a reciprocating saw they use strictly for meat. A battery operated one comes in pretty handy when bull winkle hits the ground, or when ya get him back to camp. I've tried the chain saw with cooking oil but it's to messy. It resembles the butt plug thing some use on game, just not for me anyway. Lots of videos on it to, just google it!!! Good luck, Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks guys, great stuff. This will save me a ton of time searching all this out on my own. Looking forward to it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Great idea. I will use it on my elk this coming year.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First off you will probably enjoy it and the more animals you process the better at it and the quicker it will be... My wife and I have been doing it for probably 12 years when I finally got tired of not knowing exactly what was happening to my deer at the processor or even if I got back "my" deer....

Get a bigger grinder than you think you will need... it makes a ton of difference... Victorinox makes some great knives for butchering and are a great deal.

LEM sells a lot of supplies... I buy their bags for ground and it works great... I did splurge and get the taping device... everything else besides ground I vacuum pack and it stays good and freezer burn free for years....

biggest piece of advice... do not worry about making some mistakes... you will learn and will have a far better product than from a processor... and you know exactly you have your animal and everything done to it

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore

It is well worth it, me and plastic wrap don't get along

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dont know were you live but a meat cooler is nice to have .i made one from a refrigerator that works real well .if some body wants to know how pm me and i will explain it to you

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
1. Freeze all the stuff you want to grind and do your grinding after the season is over. It's also much nicer grinding when the meat is slightly on the frozen side.

2. Don't worry about removing all the fat/silver skin when your cutting up your deer. I leave it on and it gives an extra layer of protection and it's also much easier to remove when the meat is again slightly frozen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

373 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 1,607 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,682
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.