-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 7 mags and 270’s. The deer and pigs I shoot have never complained.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I load mine with a Geezer powder IMR 4350. There are powders that will get a little more velocity, but 64 grains with a Ballistic tip does plenty good on Whitetail deer, Aoudads, and pigs. I’m gonna try Reloader 22, cause it does so well in a 270 Weatherby mag.

I enjoy your articles very much. I read them first when my magazines arrive. I hope you never really retire.

Thanks!

I have cut down on my work the past year or so--but for some reason a couple of magazines other than my regulars have recently asked me to write for them. And the money was too good to turn down! So am gonna be whacking away both with rifles and on the computer for a while....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not, I dont, and I'm 46.

I had a 7STW for a few years, but hated feeding it so much powder and expensive Barnes X-bullets, just to shoot TX whitetails that were 80 yards away!

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would use my old .22-250 for that!!!!

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It seems there are many 7 mag fans

Hanco,

Yep! Which is the reason it's a standard chambering with just about every centerfire rifle company on earth.

But the response from lots fans also isn't surprising, because my initial question only asked for responses from fans, along with their age, to see if 7mm RM fans are older than most hunters.

This was partly because somebody here suggested the 7mm RM was a "geezer" cartridge, preferred primarily by hunters who are behind the times. (By the way, I know the guy who suggested that, and he's about a year older than the average fan who responded. And he's not a fan of the 7mm RM because he prefers the .300 Winchester Magnum and, get this, the .300 H&H. Talk about a geezer cartridge!)

Probably the major reason any non-fans responded is they never read the original post, instead just the header, "7mm Remington Magnum?" Whereupon they jumped right in with their opinion, because the Internet allows anybody to vote, even without photo ID.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Filaman
[quote=hanco]It seems there are many 7 mag fans

Hanco,

Yep! Which is the reason it's a standard chambering with just about every centerfire rifle company on earth.

But the response from lots fans also isn't surprising, because my initial question only asked for responses from fans, along with their age, to see if 7mm RM fans are older than most hunters.

This was partly because somebody here suggested the 7mm RM was a "geezer" cartridge, preferred primarily by hunters who are behind the times. (By the way, I know the guy who suggested that, and he's about a year older than the average fan who responded. And he's not a fan of the 7mm RM because he prefers the .300 Winchester Magnum and, get this, the .300 H&H. Talk about a geezer cartridge!)

Probably the major reason any non-fans responded is they never read the original post, instead just the header, "7mm Remington Magnum?" Whereupon they jumped right in with their opinion, because the Internet allows anybody to vote, even without photo ID.

I'm a geezer and not a hater. I know full well why you started this thread. I also can't figure out why anybody would not be a fan of a cartridge that's as popular and capable as the 7RM. And I, like many who posted here, am not going to let the chance of commenting on it go to waste. I get pissed at negativity over an inanimate object, and one that is so proven. I don't hate any cartridge, especially one that has done as much as a 7 Rem. Mag. through the years, It's like the .270 Winchester on another forum I have been a member of for 13 years. It gets a lot of negativity from just plain hate and a lot from many who think it's funny to agitate its fans. Until I came here I didn't realize there were so many 7RM haters. It's just too fantastic of a cartridge to hate. Now true, I said I preferred the .270, but that's because of what I hunt and where I hunt. Most of the time I just don't need it. If I hunted larger game or even deer at longer ranges I would use it more often. I love mine and on occasion I use it. It fills a niche and it does it with aplumb or an apple or whatever you like, LOL!.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/14/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just got the August issue of Handloader yesterday. I went right to Mule deer's article on the 7RM. Great job as usual. I usually read his articles first

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jaydub in wi
Just got the August issue of Handloader yesterday. I went right to Mule deer's article on the 7RM. Great job as usual. I usually read his articles first

What the heck … I haven't received mine yet ? … You can’t talk about it until I’ve received mine . wink

Bought my first and only 7mm Rem Mag when I was 30 … I’m 50 now . It was my first centerfire rifle .

Brand new Winchester model 70 ( still have it ) . Harvested a few deer with it .

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Not quite an old geezer yet ..won't hit 70 for a few more months. I've been using a 7 rem mag since '64 and, at first thought it was truly the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Then as real world experience started to set in I found that there was precious little difference between the 7 mag, 270 win, 284 win, 308 win, or 30-06 etc. .especially if Nosler Partitions (more recently TTSX) were used. Hit-em right and stuff just (quickly) dies .
Today, my 270 using 62 gr of RL 26 and a 150 NP is about all I use.
So far haven't found a deer or elk that could tell the difference.

Last edited by MickeyD; 06/25/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A long-time hunting partner of mine used one for many years. When I hunted with him I carried my 7x57. These hunts were for Kaibab Mule Deer, Coues Whitetail and Javelina. There was zero difference in success between the two rounds. His Remington BDL kicked, roared and was heavy. He had a 3x9 Redfield scope I had a 4x Leupold, if we had hunted Elk, Moose or big bear his would probably have been preferred, but for Arizona critters it had no practical advantage I could see. I’m close to 76.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I liked your article on the 7mm RM.
( I can’t see any flies on that cartridge. )

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I load mine with a Geezer powder IMR 4350. There are powders that will get a little more velocity, but 64 grains with a Ballistic tip does plenty good on Whitetail deer, Aoudads, and pigs. I’m gonna try Reloader 22, cause it does so well in a 270 Weatherby mag.

I enjoy your articles very much. I read them first when my magazines arrive. I hope you never really retire.

Thanks!

I have cut down on my work the past year or so--but for some reason a couple of magazines other than my regulars have recently asked me to write for them. And the money was too good to turn down! So am gonna be whacking away both with rifles and on the computer for a while....

JB, you can’t retire until all of us “geezers” have gone to the happy hunting grounds. 😀

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Not quite an old geezer yet ..won't hit 70 for a few more months. I've been using a 7 rem mag since '64 and, at first thought it was truly the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Then as real world experience started to set in I found that there was precious little difference between the 7 mag, 270 win, 284 win, 308 win, or 30-06 etc. .especially if Nosler Partitions (more recently TTSX) were used. Hit-em right and stuff just (quickly) dies .
Today, my 270 using 62 gr of RL 26 and a 150 NP is about all I use.
So far haven't found a deer or elk that could tell the difference.

Good article JB.
When the 7RM came along I already had an -06. Never saw enough difference in the 2 to get a 7. A long time friend had one and extolled the virtues of how much more it had on the -06 at 350 yards. He ended up giving it to his son and now shoots an -06. Between 270 and 308 there isn't that much difference in any of them. Some go 200fps faster and burn more powder and make more noise but they all work just about the same.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 06/27/20.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love mine, 37 years old, have 12 years under my belt with it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Remington 700's in good stocks, bedded, good trigger and glass will shoot 3" at 600 yards that we have, 140g to 168g bullets. We run Gentry muzzle breaks on all rifles.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Missouri 7mm-08 gets everything done for me. I think 7mm RM is a great round but with todays bullets I dont need it. Im 45....

randy..
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
77 here.I bought a Winchester Model 70 in the late 60's and used it and a Weatherby 7mag for about ten years I'd guess. I went thru a stage of using different rifles and different chamberings for about 5 years. I finally decided that the 7mag didn't kill anything deader than a .308 or .06 , but burned more powder and thumped my shoulder harder.I sent them both down the road

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
II am 83, Reading all of the posts I realized that the 7 Mag came out at the wrong time to tempt me. I started with a 30-06 and went to a 300 Win mag.

I compared ballistics many times but just could not see any advantage in switching. In those days I could not afford the stable that I have now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,
Thanks for the article and for the opportunity to be a part of your sample. I got to the range this morning with (along with a bunch of other loads for other rifles) a little velocity ladder to try your 175 ABLR/Magnum load. I just loaded 2 rounds each of 69, 70, and 71 grains, just to check velocity in my rifle (Mk-X Mauser with 1:9 Hart Stainless barrel built in the early 90's). I had some issues with positioning the old 35P that kept me from getting velocity readings on 69 and only one at 70 (2916 fps, with no reading on the proof channel, which I suspected might be an anomaly), but I was able to reposition the screens and was surprised to get two solid readings just under 3,000 fps with your 71 grain load!
So even though there were no other pressure signs than the extra 100 fps over your results, I'll be backing this load back to probably the 70 grain level. Those two rounds landed a half inch apart.
I also have a couple pounds of IMR-8133 in the mail to try out with the 160 AB.

Thanks again for the load data - I just wanted to pass on my experience with getting what is obviously a little more pressure than you did with the 175 ABLR 71/Magnum load.

Cheers,
Rex

P.S. This is the first time I have gotten good results on the first try with ABLR in any caliber, so thanks for that too. When I load to the max length for my magazine that gives me about .075" off the lands, which I have learned from your other writings can be a good thing for these high BC bullets.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
40,. 700 BDL (new manufacture). Shoots 140 partitions into 3/4 inch 5 shot groups. Just a classy rifle. Love to take it hunting

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

622 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,326
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.