Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Personally, I think the 600,00 H1B number is way low. Anyone who works in IT knows that the vast majority of contract IT workers are middle eastern H1B holders. IT Contract companies have a hard time staffing contracts that require only U.S. citizens. Keep in mind that in addition to the H1B holder (generally the husband), there is also a wife and at least two kids. All are on green card path. And then, all are on citizenship path. And while most are "good folks", their view of 1A and 2A rights are incongruent with ours.

If you really want to jack up your blood pressure, take a look at the number of IT jobs outsourced "off shore" to India and Philippines. TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) is one of the largest IT out source companies in the world. Every H1B holder TCS has on the ground in a U.S. company is coordinating / feeding work to 10 or more IT workers based in India. This is ALL work that American workers USED to do, and still COULD be doing if it were not legal to send IT support "off shore".

I think this is a low estimate for sure. The IT department I work at in the US is filled with H1B workers from India, China, Vietnam, etc...A lot of them have made it into management and only hire and promote their "own kind" usually. Maybe that's a hidden corporate policy where I work but not sure. Also, for the last 2 to 3 years, any position that came open in the US had to be filled by someone at our office in India. They cannot hire anyone here in the US to fill the open position..If you're a US worker and want to promote yourself by applying for a position within the company that is better, that's just tough, you don't have any chance in heck of getting the position...The position goes to someone in India.... Don't know how they get away with this [bleep].

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 06/28/20.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JamesJr
There is a lot of tobacco grown here in my part of the country, and tobacco is a very labor intensive crop, with most of the work done by hand. I started growing tobacco in 1973, and grew it until the year 2001. When I first started, labor was easy to find, as their were many people who's only job was working on the farm. As those people aged, there were no younger ones coming up who wanted to work that hard, so by the time I quit growing tobacco, I was using Mexican laborers here under the H-2A temporary worker program.

Today, practically all of the work in the growing of tobacco is done by those H-2A laborers. The only exception here is that of the tobacco grown by the Mennonites and Amish. Otherwise, it's all Mexican workers that you see, and they are also working in many other farm jobs, not just tobacco. They are not here because they work cheaper and are taking jobs away from Americans................they are here because they aren't lazy SOB's like many Americans are, and they don't mind working.

Sorry, but horse manure is still horse manure.

Americans did not want to work at the wage you offered. There is, however, a wage at which you could have hired Americans. Everyone has their price.

And then you used the power of the federal government to pervert the labor market by injecting aliens into that market. Those aliens cost more than the wage they were paid. Your neighbors had to pay the cost to keep them policed, to fix them up when they injured themselves on your farm, and suchlike. So much for "love your neighbor," more like, "screw your neighbor blue while making the green."

The fancy economic term for such labor market perversion "privatized profits, socialized costs." You're not alone, so many folks are doing it as well as rent-seeking.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Huge betrayal of the American people.

Not just "the American People," but also one's neighbors and fellow tax-payers.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Acting like there is a now problem that is newly caused.
Some of the tobacco workers in my area (we grow cigar wrap) are fifth-generation. And the farms are 200 years old or more.
Think about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jfruser
There is a lot of tobacco grown here in my part of the country, and tobacco is a very labor intensive crop, with most of the work done by hand. I started growing tobacco in 1973, and grew it until the year 2001. When I first started, labor was easy to find, as their were many people who's only job was working on the farm. As those people aged, there were no younger ones coming up who wanted to work that hard, so by the time I quit growing tobacco, I was using Mexican laborers here under the H-2A temporary worker program.

Today, practically all of the work in the growing of tobacco is done by those H-2A laborers. The only exception here is that of the tobacco grown by the Mennonites and Amish. Otherwise, it's all Mexican workers that you see, and they are also working in many other farm jobs, not just tobacco. They are not here because they work cheaper and are taking jobs away from Americans................they are here because they aren't lazy SOB's like many Americans are, and they don't mind working.

Americans did not want to work at the wage you offered. There is, however, a wage at which you could have hired Americans. Everyone has their price.

And then you used the power of the federal government to pervert the labor market by injecting aliens into that market. Those aliens cost more than the wage they were paid. Your neighbors had to pay the cost to keep them policed, to fix them up when they injured themselves on your farm, and suchlike. So much for "love your neighbor," more like, "screw your neighbor blue while making the green."

The fancy economic term for such labor market perversion "privatized profits, socialized costs." You're not alone, so many folks are doing it as well as rent-seeking.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.................period!!!

Do you farm?..........I'll answer that for you...........NO, you don't.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.................period!!!

Do you farm?..........I'll answer that for you...........NO, you don't.

Why do the Mennonites and Amish do it?

For schits and grins?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Once again.

Didn’t Trump just this past week sign the order limiting and curtailing exactly what is being talked about here or are y’all so wrapped up in Marthafarkin each other than to just simply read ?

Buncha fuggin idiots.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Once again.

Didn’t Trump just this past week sign the order limiting and curtailing exactly what is being talked about here or are y’all so wrapped up in Marthafarkin each other than to just simply read ?

Buncha fuggin idiots.

Did you read the link in the OP?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by deflave
Once again.

Buncha fuggin idiots.

Did you see Trump sign the order?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a reason for everything..........think about it? I am as much against foreign workers coming here and taking away jobs that Americans do as anybody is................but the key words are "jobs that Americans do", and unfortunately there are jobs that Americans don't want to do, and that's because those jobs are either too hard or don't pay as much as they think they're worth.

Before a farmer can hire H-2A workers, they have to run ads in local newspapers for a period of weeks before those jobs start, giving American workers the chance to get that job first, at the same wage as a H-2A worker would recieve. Let's say they have 10 jobs available, and 3 Americans apply, then they have to hire them first, before they can bring in the 7 remaining migrant workers. Right now the average pay is around $15 an hour, with transportation and living quarters furnished. They are regularly inspected and the workers questioned about how well they're being treated. I don't know of any farmer who has hired an American worker for one of the positions they have.

Agricultural work is mostly seasonal, and if a man is wanting a job, he's more than likely wanting a full time one, which may be why there are American workers who don't want these kind of jobs. But, there are plenty of low skilled Americans who could, if they wanted to, work in the farm jobs that are out there, providing they wanted to..............and that's it, they don't want to. It's much easier for them to figure out other ways of getting money rather than do a hard days work..............stealing, selling drugs, living off their girlfriends, claiming disability, and so on and so forth.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Originally Posted by watch4bear
and 30 million here illegally

You ain't nowhere near HERE.laugh

Do you have a tattoo on your ass with an arrow pointing to "HERE"?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[bleep] Americans..... Demand high wages and benefits for the least amount of work they can get by with, then buy only the cheapest imported [bleep] they can find.
Just like the protestors demanding all kinds of [bleep] from "the govt" but contribute nothing to it.

Blind leading the stupid here anymore.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jackmountain
[bleep] Americans..... Demand high wages and benefits for the least amount of work they can get by with, then buy only the cheapest imported [bleep] they can find.
Just like the protestors demanding all kinds of [bleep] from "the govt" but contribute nothing to it.

These foreign workers aren’t exactly known for going out and buying the best, most expensive American made items either.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

In our state's Ag industry, we have thousands of H2 workers. Without them, most growers would have gone out business. Most growers tell me that domestic labor at 15.00 per hour has a lower hourly cost than H2. Growers issues with domestic labor are they fail to show up for work, getting domestic labor to actually work when they do show up and domestic labor does not want to do ag work. Without H2 workers in Ag, grocery stores Shelves would be empty.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I don't pay much attention to immigration stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lennie

In our state's Ag industry, we have thousands of H2 workers. Without them, most growers would have gone out business. Most growers tell me that domestic labor at 15.00 per hour has a lower hourly cost than H2. Growers issues with domestic labor are they fail to show up for work, getting domestic labor to actually work when they do show up and domestic labor does not want to do ag work. Without H2 workers in Ag, grocery stores Shelves would be empty.

To a man, farmers will tell you that the one thing that makes the H-2A workers the most desirable is the fact that you know they will be on the job the next day. With domestic labor, that is not the case.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Well just ignore and pay no attention to this as it about immigration and foreign workers. You might be on the wrong thread.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain

These foreign workers aren’t exactly known for going out and buying the best, most expensive American made items either.

They aren't technically part of the problem. They're the effects of it. No reason they would look out for the long term viability of the U.S. economy.
Americans are being conditioned to be ashamed of our country. Puppets on a string, and the ones pulling the strings definitely don't have America's best interests in mind.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Well just ignore and pay no attention to this as it about immigration and foreign workers. You might be on the wrong thread.

His point is that the link talks about the issue, in the specific context of Trump’s recent order.

Last edited by turkish; 06/28/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Lennie

What about the time a little while back when domestic workers were willing to do farm and ranch work, and the owners still paid peanuts for the work? Where I grew up in the farm and ranch country in Texas there were plenty of willing high school / college aged white dudes doing manual back breaking labor on farms and ranches and all making minimum wage at best/ sometimes less. And, it was same ole story, the farm cant make any money if they pay more. Meanwhle, the farmer/ rancher is living in a mansion with a pool and hot tub, his wife driving a caddy, his son or daughter a high powered sports car or brand new truck, and him driving a brand new diesel truck, and a new bass boat sitting in the yard. Yeah, im sure he can't find any way to pay his workers more and have the farm make money...There was a ton of American Citizens working in the oil fields too around where I grew up barely getting by paycheck to paycheck...Greedy fuggers just be greedy and love them some slave labor...

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 06/28/20.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There is a reason for everything..........think about it? I am as much against foreign workers coming here and taking away jobs that Americans do as anybody is................but the key words are "jobs that Americans do", and unfortunately there are jobs that Americans don't want to do, and that's because those jobs are either too hard or don't pay as much as they think they're worth.

Before a farmer can hire H-2A workers, they have to run ads in local newspapers for a period of weeks before those jobs start, giving American workers the chance to get that job first, at the same wage as a H-2A worker would recieve. Let's say they have 10 jobs available, and 3 Americans apply, then they have to hire them first, before they can bring in the 7 remaining migrant workers. Right now the average pay is around $15 an hour, with transportation and living quarters furnished. They are regularly inspected and the workers questioned about how well they're being treated. I don't know of any farmer who has hired an American worker for one of the positions they have.

Agricultural work is mostly seasonal, and if a man is wanting a job, he's more than likely wanting a full time one, which may be why there are American workers who don't want these kind of jobs. But, there are plenty of low skilled Americans who could, if they wanted to, work in the farm jobs that are out there, providing they wanted to..............and that's it, they don't want to. It's much easier for them to figure out other ways of getting money rather than do a hard days work..............stealing, selling drugs, living off their girlfriends, claiming disability, and so on and so forth.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.