Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Looks like I’m headed to Colorado in late Oct for a hunt with some friends.

Looking for some advice pack wise, boot wise, sleeping bag etc. We will have a tent with cots and a wood stove.

I have a pair of 600gram Danner Elk Hunters I wear in cold weather, sufficient with wool socks?

I have a -40 military sleeping bag system.

Clueless on the pack

Rem 700 LSFV bedded into another stock, 140 Accubond, case full of H4350

Good gloves and mittens, good knives,I think my clothing will be ok.

Any and all tips and advice is appreciated.

Thanks

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Get in shape! Every year I’ve gone, it doesn’t take long for me to be thinking, “I wish I had worked out harder”.

There are only two things wrong with Colorado....too many rocks to turn your ankle and not enough oxygen 😀

Last edited by navlav8r; 06/28/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be prepared to look at 700lb of very dead elk in a very difficult place miles from the road and say 'Oh crap, what have I done.'

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I try to stay in pretty good shape, but I know it won’t be good enough. I walk 4-8 miles 3-4 days a week, lift weights 3 days a week and use a concept 2 rower off and on if I don’t walk. I’m sure I’ll be searching for oxygen quickly into the hunt. I don’t think TN oxygen is the same as Colorado oxygen, lol.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Get an insulated air mattress like the Klymit Static V Luxe to put on the cot and take a bunch of chemical toe warmers to keep feet warm. . Also a box, at least of Handiwipes to keep yourself clean after going to the crapper . Wear pair of poly socks under the wool socks to wick away moisture and preven tblisters. I prefer a heavier bullet, but I am sure the 140 gr will do the job

https://klymit.com/products/insulated-static-v-luxe-sleeping-pad?variant=31722981490778

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/28/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good luck with your first elk hunt! Stay in shape you will be good! Dont worry about packing out elk, sometimes it takes a couple days!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being physically in shape is important, but I believe being mentally prepared for the hunt is equally so, if not more.

I've seen lots of people in seemingly good shape turn around and go back to the pickup, because they didn't want an elk badly enough: though they thought that they did beforehand.
I've also seen a fair number of bigger guys make it to the elk, because they wanted to, badly enough. Throw in the nasty weather, altitude sickness and whatever else....and you'll find out if you want an elk bad enough.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
A bunch of good packs being made now days, I favor stone glacier but exo and kifaru also have a lot of fans.

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Get & use some hiking or treking poles, carry a map of the area.
Download the Colorado trail explorer ( COTREX ) app to your phone.
Big plus on dude wipes or handiwipes. Keep them next to you, if they are in your pack they can freeze.
Carry 2 liters of water with you when hunting.
Plan to drink about 2 to 3 liters daily to avoid cramps and altitude sickness issues.
You can get electrolyte replacement in powder form (Amazon) if you prefer flavored water
There are small aerosol style cans of oxygen available (Amazon) if you think you need them.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Good info so far, thanks. I’ll have a first aid kit with me as well.

I already have trekking poles but taking them never crossed my mind.

Would a water bottle like the LifeStraw be a good edition on the trip?

IC B3

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Elk generally are never very far from some water source. Always filter standing water, lakes, ponds.
Some streams could be ok but you don't know whats 100 yds upstream. So yes to lifestraw bottle.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ll mention what’s important to me, since everyone is different don’t know if it’s meaningful to you.

I only care about coffee in the morning. Strong coffee. No talking. I will eat whatever, or nothing, so long as I have strong coffee.

A ground pad (like a backpackers pad) cut in half is nice when you want to take a nap on the snow.

OnX is super nice to have aerials with you.

Don’t go back to camp for lunch unless you are moving location. Take a nap in the field. Amazing how many elk we kill in the middle of the day.

Calories are important. Carry them with you. I like the thin sandwich rounds with butter, salami, and cheese. And apples. I also lose weight just because I get tired of not eating good food.

And that brings us to supper. Usually after dark. Fast is most important because I need sleep.

Get as much sleep as you can!

The biggest 6x6 I’ve killed was the only elk I saw in 10 days. Last year I had a bull tag for Idaho and saw 3 cows in 5 days but no bulls. Public land hunts are that way sometimes. It gets tough when you aren’t seeing animals. Keep your spirits up!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of good tips here on this thread.. Write them down A few that I have learned in addition are as follows:

Chap sticks. Can be also used ans a hand cream. Buy about 5 of them and carry one with you IN THE PACK.
Swiss Army Knife and a diamond steel for sharpening. Your belt knife is good but the Swiss Army is going to be the one you reach for most times for everyday tasks.
A good compass. Very useful if you need to come back to camp at night.
Good flashlight. Buy batteries the same week you leave and get 2 extra sets.
Carry a road flare. It's good to make fire with even under the wettest conditions.
Hand soap and a hand towel.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For your boots question my boots are 200 gram with wool socks and I’m good if I’m moving or sitting for 1-2 hours. I can’t sit all day anywhere.

My pack is a Mystery Ranch but a lot of good packs out there. So long as it’s comfortable you’ll be good.

Don’t worry about how to get the elk out of the hell hole you need to kill it in. Just go in there and figure it out later. Don’t worry, you’ll get it figured out.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My advice to the new guys that come with us. #1. Make sure you have a warm, dry place to sleep at night. #2 Make sure you have clothes, boots, whatever that will keep you dry and warm during the day in all weather. Layers are paramount. Carhartt is not the answer. If you get wet and cold, life will suck. The more money you spend, the lighter the weight the clothes, tent, sleeping bag etc. Prioritize sexy gear like guns, backpacks, binos, after the clothes, boots, tents, sleeping gear.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have run into a lot of guys that killed elk in a nasty place and didn't have way to figured out on how to get it out . They come into my camp every year begging me to pack it out on my mules. In later seasons it is not as bad , but in early season,you just might have meat spoilage before you get it all out. Have a plan on how you will get it out before you even go hunting. At times,it is wiser to put the safety back on on let the elk walk.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have run into a lot of guys that killed elk in a nasty place and didn't have way to figured out on how to get it out . They come into my camp every year begging me to pack it out on my mules. In later seasons it is not as bad , but in early season,you just might have meat spoilage before you get it all out. Have a plan on how you will get it out before you even go hunting. At times,it is wiser to put the safety back on on let the elk walk.

Easier than that; why even hunt in a place like that?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Use some common sense. Some years ago, we opened moose season with 90F temps. There's no way we could have saved the meat if we'd got one. We went home. We were back a week later and I got a moose at the same place in 10" of snow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I dont think anyone mentioned it, but I highly recommend you find the best set of binoculars that you can afford for this trip. They will be your number one tool for finding and killing an elk. You will feel naked if you dont have glass to look through on your hunt.

For my feet 600 grams is too hot. You will be moving, and that much insulation could cause your feet to sweat. Sweating feet=wet feet. Wet feet=Cold Feet.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Be prepared to look at 700lb of very dead elk in a very difficult place miles from the road and say 'Oh crap, what have I done.'

Yep!! Ha ha ha! The "Oh crap" sets in sometime into the cutting...before that, at least for me, is Elk Fever far worse than any Buck Fever I ever experienced.

If you know how to dress from mild to very cold by adding a few layers, you should be set for the weather. Fire is a must if you get back in a ways and find a blizzard that was not exactly expected.

Killing the elk is generally third to finding them and surviving the task of getting to them, but don't be surprised if one pops out 50 feet from a road, and you get an easy bull. I've never done it, but, by God, I have seen it too many times.

Edited to add: bringing an elk up SUCKS. Better to get into a position where you are bringing one down. Have a good walking stick, even if you think you don't need one.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 06/29/20.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I have a set of 8x42 Leupolds that I hope will work for the trip.

Another thing, do I need a spotting scope and if so what magnification?

I’ll be in Unit 54 with Eagle Mountain Outfitters.

I am keeping notes on all the info.

Thanks again

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you're going outfitted, I do not see a need for investing a ton of money into a spotting scope. Your guide will have one available. I have a Meopta 82mm spotter and It almost always gets left at camp or in the truck due to the size & weight. And if you get the spotter, you're going to want to spend another $500 on a quality tripod and head to attach it...

Your 8x's should treat you well, elk are usually not hard to dredge up. Bull's have a certain blonde color to them at that time of year that really pops out.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I have a set of 8x42 Leupolds that I hope will work for the trip.

Another thing, do I need a spotting scope and if so what magnification?

I’ll be in Unit 54 with Eagle Mountain Outfitters.

I am keeping notes on all the info.

Thanks again

OUTFITTED!?!?

Then my advice is to make sure the coffee isn't too hot before you take a big gulp, and to tip well.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I don’t have a guide. They take us to a tent camp and come back and get us 7 days later.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you have good binoculars,you don't need a spotting scope.

Prepare for snow in that unit .I hunted 2nd season and it is a week later now, I'd say for about every three years, we got dumped on two.
12-15", some times more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you used to hunting and shooting from the ground? If not practice shooting from realistic positions and not taking half a day to get a shot off.

Get some quality uninsulated hiking boots that fit your feet. Lots to choose from. Figure out a good sock system. Try the boots on with the socks you'll wear.

How picky are you going to be? If you are just going to shoot any legal bull/elk than I wouldn't worry about the spotting scope.

Lots of very nice clothing out there these days without buying the trendy stuff. Look at non hunting brands.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

A few times a month I shoot at a touch over 400 and out to a shade over 600yds. I use a short bipod sole at 600 but it’s mainly prone off a pack at 400 it’s prone from a backpack or seated off of sticks, a stump, tree or my knee. 12” and 6” steel gongs are the targets.

Under perfect conditions I would consider a 400yd shot but much closer is certainly the goal. I’m not going to lie and say I don’t want a 350 class bull but honestly the first legal bull I see with a shot I’m comfortable with will be in trouble.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

A few times a month I shoot at a touch over 400 and out to a shade over 600yds. I use a short bipod sole at 600 but it’s mainly prone off a pack at 400 it’s prone from a backpack or seated off of sticks, a stump, tree or my knee. 12” and 6” steel gongs are the targets.

Under perfect conditions I would consider a 400yd shot but much closer is certainly the goal. I’m not going to lie and say I don’t want a 350 class bull but honestly the first legal bull I see with a shot in comfortable with will be in trouble.

I think you're in good shape gear-wise, and certainly, if you like how you are shooting from field positions out past 400, you're set there as well. Elk hunts have always been more of a test of my mental and physical fortitude than I am willing to give them credit for before the season. T Inman above mentioned that above, and he knows what he is talking about. Make sure you bring everything you think you need, but the most important preparations involve mental and physical conditioning, in that order.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Under perfect conditions I would consider a 400yd shot but much closer is certainly the goal. I’m not going to lie and say I don’t want a 350 class bull but honestly the first legal bull I see with a shot in comfortable with will be in trouble.

I think you're in good shape gear-wise, and certainly, if you like how you are shooting from field positions out past 400, you're set there as well. Elk hunts have always been more of a test of my mental and physical fortitude than I am willing to give them credit for before the season. T Inman above mentioned that above, and he knows what he is talking about. Make sure you bring everything you think you need, but the most important preparations involve mental and physical conditioning, in that order.

I found out a local guy has hunted this area with the guys we are using and he said the same as you guys, try to be in good physical shape but mentally it’s actually tougher. One trip he was on a guy got turned around and ended up lost for a bit in brutal cold and about 2’ of snow and he got frost bite on both feet.

I’ll need some meals and snacks to make in camp, I figure some MRE’s or some of the dehydrated packed stuff would work.

We have a weight limit on gear and I just don’t want to not have something that I would need for food/warmth/lost.

Thanks again for the help

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
small folding chair with a back rest,hand warmers,toe warmers,cheap 6-8 ft. plastic tarp in case of bad weather in pack, toilet paper in a plastic bag,new throw away lighter that works,new MRE`S just in case

Last edited by pete53; 06/29/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pete53
small folding chair with a back rest,hand warmers,toe warmers,cheap 6-8 ft. plastic tarp in case of bad weather in pack, toilet paper in a plastic bag,new throw away lighter that works,new MRE`S just in case

A small folding chair on your pack? I hope I am reading that wrong. Pete, have you ever seen the Rockies? You are advocating packing a chair up mountains after elk? I hope not.

I carry a small tarp. My bro carries an old backpacking pad folded small. Nature has an infinite number of "chairs" in the mountains, if you pack something to keep your ass warm/dry.

I carry a plastic bag with a bunch of folded paper towels as well as a Bic lighter for a fire starter. It has yet to fail me. For example: my brother, 10 year old son, and I got caught in a blizzard last year. None of us thought to check the weather that day. We knew it would be snowing, but the temp dropped below zero and the whiteout moved in after we had gotten to the top of where we were hunting. The dead branches along the bottoms of various species of conifer worked great for kindling and wood, and a couple paper towels was plenty of firestarter, and . The trees produced natural shelter. If we would have spent the night, a bunch of pine boughs can be made into a decent shelter when using the tarp and ground pad. Luckily it moved off by mid-afternoon and we were able to get down. It was a lesson in the benefits of being mentally prepared, as well as having the right gear.

My shooting sticks can double as a walking stick. Bare bones is awesome when you finally get an elk down.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An ultralight chair like the Helinox is awesome for camp/glassing especially if there is snow on the ground.

Bearcat- If your going with the dehydrated meals look at Peak Refuel. Very good food and tastes great.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

A small folding chair on your pack? I hope I am reading that wrong. Pete, have you ever seen the Rockies? You are advocating packing a chair up mountains after elk? I hope not.

I thought the exact same thing! Dude, you are recommending carrying a chair???? I don't care what size it is, every ounce matters at 10,000'. We got these little foam pads; they look like a thermarest, but are only 18" x 14" or so. Weigh just a few ounces, but put it down on wet ground and your a$$ stays dry and warm. That's the extend of my sitting comfort. Tarp is worth the extra ounces in your pack...used mine in a snow storm once, not sure it saved our lifes, but made it a lot less miserable and helped avoid hypothermia.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you've never hunted the high country of Colorado, or the rest of the Rocky Mountains, I suggest you watch this video and consider the information this survival instructor from Colorado lists. In that high country, weather can change on you very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=FV5ShSNIdfY&feature=endscreen

Good luck and have fun.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
If you've never hunted the high country of Colorado, or the rest of the Rocky Mountains, I suggest you watch this video and consider the information this survival instructor from Colorado lists. In that high country, weather can change on you very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=FV5ShSNIdfY&feature=endscreen

Good luck and have fun.

L.W.

Thanks for the video

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds like OP is doing a drop camp. Most have chairs there already. One of those styro pop corn type filled hot seats are comfortable for sitting at a stand though.

I would nix the MRE's.Too much trash when you are done and the weightof each is made up of lot of that trash. If it is five day hunt, you will fill up one pannier just with MRE's and as mentioned drop camp outfitters limit you to weight and volume. Years ago two of us took MRE's for food for a goat hunt on Mt Shavano in southern Colorado.I thought we were going to starve.

A person can come up with their own dried food a lot cheaper and in bulk. Breakfeast: Oatmeal with raisins, Fruit bars, Eggbeaters frozen before the trip will keep. One carton will feed three guys along with dried hash browns. Jimmy Dean precooked sausage patties or links will keep in cool weather,or ham steaks .Even an unsliced slab of bacon will keep. Lunches can be granola bars, protein bars,dried fruit,jerky, peanut butter or cheese crackers, trail mix, all bought in bulk at Sam's Club or Costcos. Instant potatoes, along with different dried dinners will work at night with the first few nights of meat taken along frozen.

Just practice safe storage from bears which there are quite few in Unit 54.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/29/20.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As stated, be in good shape. But almost as important is being mentally tough. Most hunters give up, or quit hunting as hard after not seeing anything for 3 days in a row. You have to be positive, and keep pushing on even when the hunting is tough.That is hard for most hunters to do.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Get in shape! Every year I’ve gone, it doesn’t take long for me to be thinking, “I wish I had worked out harder”.

There are only two things wrong with Colorado....too many rocks to turn your ankle and not enough oxygen 😀

There are a hell of a lot more than 2 things wrong with Colorado.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I would nix the MRE's.Too much trash when you are done and the weightof each is made up of lot of that trash. If it is five day hunt, you will fill up one pannier just with MRE's and as mentioned drop camp outfitters limit you to weight and volume. Years ago two of us took MRE's for food for a goat hunt on Mt Shavano in southern Colorado.I thought we were going to starve.

It would take a lot of NOT eating to starve on MRE’s. Maybe you forgot to take the meals out of the packs and eat them.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I. Thou shalt be in shape, for elk dwelleth not in the flatlands, nor where there is oxygen.

II. If thine ass resembleth 20 pounds of chewed bubble gum, bitter shall be thy lot.

IV. Thou shalt not stuff thy pack with all manner of goods. Thou needst it not, and it shall do naught but rob thee of thy breath and turn thy knees to Jello.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WAM
I. Thou shalt be in shape, for elk dwelleth not in the flatlands, nor where there is oxygen.

II. If thine ass resembleth 20 pounds of chewed bubble gum, bitter shall be thy lot.

IV. Thou shalt not stuff thy pack with all manner of goods. Thou needst it not, and it shall do naught but rob thee of thy breath and turn thy knees to Jello.

1. Working on it, from the people I’ve talked to flat land won’t be much of an issue where we’re going.

2. Not bubble gum

4. Agreed, that’s why I asked people who have a better idea of what I need to carry.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Take an extra pair of boots and some camp shoes. You'll need dry boots at some point and camp shoes give your feet a rest after the hunt.
If it's a drop camp they should have cot pads, if not get a air pad for your cot.
Don't put your wet boots too close to the stove to dry.
Make sure your long johns are wool , merino.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
https://rockymountainhiker.wordpres...e-west-elk-mountains-day-1-july-16-2015/

Bearcat 74 Some photos of your hunt area in Unit 54 West Elk Wilderness & Soap Creek Basin area to give you an idea of terrain. Photo Credit: rocky mountain hiker This is from July 2015. Scroll down after reading the blog and the photos can be viewed as in a slide show. This is summer, the fall is beautiful with autumn colors.

Lots of good advice from seasoned elk hunters, good luck on your elk hunt. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 06/30/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hungry Horse

Bearcat 74 Some photos of your hunt area in Unit 54 West Elk Wilderness & Soap Creek Basin area to give you an idea of terrain. Photo Credit: rocky mountain hiker This is from July 2015. Scroll down after reading the blog and the photos can be viewed as in a slide show. This is summer, the fall is beautiful with autumn colors.

Thanks

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voX1mt47btg

Bearcat74 A You tube video from 2010 with Tenderfoot Outfitters from the Swampy Pass trailhead into the West Elk Wilderness by 3Darren311. This would be the n/e corner of Unit 54 . If you do a search on You tube you will find many videos of Ohio Pass Kebler Pass and a few hunt videos from years past. The success you see here is from the past years and is not the same in today's hunts. You should be able to find a lot of older threads with elk hunting information on hunting Unit 54 Unit 53 Unit 521 all in this general West Elk hunt area from along Ohio Pass, Kebler Pass, Rainbow Lake, FR 709 access points on 24 Hour campfire searches. HH

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
http://www.eaglemountainoutfitters.com/about-the-hunt.html

Bearcat: 70% shot opportunity and 40% hunter success of those shooting is pretty good. Looks like the access road could be challenging. FR 721 is also to Soap Creek campgrounds I believe. Enjoy and good luck ! HH

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by HitnRun

It would take a lot of NOT eating to starve on MRE’s. Maybe you forgot to take the meals out of the packs and eat them.

It was because of the taste.Probably would not have varied much if we ate the bag instead

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
http://www.eaglemountainoutfitters.com/about-the-hunt.html

Bearcat: 70% shot opportunity and 40% hunter success of those shooting is pretty good. Looks like the access road could be challenging. FR 721 is also to Soap Creek campgrounds I believe. Enjoy and good luck ! HH

I think that may be an older number. Sounds like there was a reduction of elk in the area?

http://www.wapititalk.com/Hunting/viewtopic.php?t=9576

The access road does sound adventurous and I have a hatred for horses so the ride in will be a challenging, lol.

It will be tough but I think I will really enjoy it. I’d just like a crack at a legal bull.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bearcat: Thank you ...a great thread for those who may think of hunting Unit 54, as well as Unit 53 and 521. I never registered on wapiti talk but had been on it a few times. Glad to see saddlesore is a contributor on there, as he speaks the truth on elk hunting Unit 54 area.
I have been there on Ohio pass Kebler pass roads right before 1st rifle elk season before... but was just scouting that year and did not have a tag. It is a beautiful area and also very rugged. . Met a few hunters from Arkansas who has been fairly successful 50% of the time over the 5 years they had hunted there. That is 15 years ago though. Have fun with Eagle Mountain Outfitters...wishing you success and a great time ! HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 06/30/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Totally agree with saddlesore, though I know his comment was a response to me saying to kill the elk then figure out how to get it out.

You absolutely need a plan to be able to get the elk out (unless the outfit that’s coming to get you will retrieve it, a good question to ask beforehand).

My plan is to kill it, then quarter it. Hang it if able, or put it somewhere cool and shaded 100%. First trip out is my loaded pack and a hind quarter unless I physically can’t carry it all. Mystery Ranch has a great system to haul quarters. This first load out is probably the worst. If pitch black night I might carry a front+backstrap instead.

Then it’s 3 more trips. 2x front+backstrap, and 1 more hind. Head if you’re taking it.

A buddy to help is a great thing!

My comment to not worry about where the elk dies is don’t avoid the work waiting for an easy elk. None of them are easy and the pack out is generally not a party. Enjoyable misery.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 06/30/20.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=Bearcat74

I think that may be an older number. Sounds like there was a reduction of elk in the area?

The access road does sound adventurous and I have a hatred for horses so the ride in will be a challenging, lol.
It will be tough but I think I will really enjoy it. I’d just like a crack at a legal bull. [/quote]

I will say that in 2018 I killed a decent 6 x bull in 54 and a rag horn the year before. In 2019, I missed a decent bull opening day, but it was way high in the rocks.It took me an hour and a half to climb to check out that I did indeed miss it.No doubt from the steep upward angle and I shot under him. Good thing to as it started to snow Saturday night and continued for 3 days.We stayed in our campers all that time.From reports of guys finally making it out,I would have never been able to get to the bull again to pack it out.Even without the snow it would have taken me a good three days,probably four, to get the meat down to where I could get the mules too. I didn't take my own advice of putting the safety back on. The elk are building back up,but they do come hard and head for private ground on the east side right away.

Just to get you thinking, here is the 2018 bull. The one I missed last year was about 800 feet higher up the same mountain to the right.The raghorn the year before was in the pines , in a straight line directly behind the the elk's antlers about 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/30/20.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Bearcat: Thank you ...a great thread for those who may think of hunting Unit 54, as well as Unit 53 and 521. I never registered on wapiti talk but had been on it a few times. Glad to see saddlesore is a contributor on there, as he speaks the truth on elk hunting Unit 54 area.
I have been there on Ohio pass Kebler pass roads right before 1st rifle elk season before... but was just scouting that year and did not have a tag. It is a beautiful area and also very rugged. . Met a few hunters from Arkansas who has been fairly successful 50% of the time over the 5 years they had hunted there. That is 15 years ago though. Have fun with Eagle Mountain Outfitters...wishing you success and a great time ! HH

Thanks a lot. I’ve enjoyed the thread and I appreciate the advice and support from everyone.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

It will be tough but I think I will really enjoy it. I’d just like a crack at a legal bull.

I will say that in 2018 I killed a decent 6 x bull in 54 and a rag horn the year before. In 2019, I missed a decent bull opening day, but it was way high in the rocks.It took me an hour and a half to climb to check out that I did indeed miss it.No doubt from the steep upward angle and I shot under him. Good thing to as it started to snow Saturday night and continued for 3 days.We stayed in our campers all that time.From reports of guys finally making it out,I would have never been able to get to the bull again to pack it out.Even without the snow it would have taken me a good three days,probably four, to get the meat down to where I could get the mules too. I didn't take my own advice of putting the safety back on. The elk are building back up,but they do come hard and head for private ground on the east side right away.
Here is the 2018 bull. The miss last year was bout 800 feet higher up the same mountain to the right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I’d float back to TN if I killed a bull like that. That’s a dandy.

Stupid question, what is considered a legal bull?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Legal bull is 4 points on a side or 3 with a 6" brow tine on at least one side. If you can see branched antlers ,it is almost certain, it will have a 6" brow tine.
Here is one I killed in the same area that just barely made it legal.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/30/20.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Legal bull is 4 points on a side or 3 with a 6" brow tine on at least one side. If you can see branched antlers ,it is almost certain, it will have a 6" brow tine.
Here is one I killed in the same area that just barely made it legal.

I’d take that one in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the answer.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Being physically in shape is important, but I believe being mentally prepared for the hunt is equally so, if not more.

I've seen lots of people in seemingly good shape turn around and go back to the pickup, because they didn't want an elk badly enough: though they thought that they did beforehand.
I've also seen a fair number of bigger guys make it to the elk, because they wanted to, badly enough. Throw in the nasty weather, altitude sickness and whatever else....and you'll find out if you want an elk bad enough.

This. No one would mistake me for a fitness guru...but I tag bulls on public lands pretty regularly because I simply want it more than most. I get up earlier, go further, stay later, and generally hunt “harder” than most everyone around me. Its an imperfect approach, but it pays off over the long haul pretty well.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love these elk threads......once you are physically and mentally prepared, everything else is easier. Use the other camps and hunters in your area to your advantage. I like hunting saddles, knobs, groups of knobs, benches and stay in the upper 1/3 of the general elevation during the day. Your binos will save you a bunch of walking! Be patient, as I am not! Good luck on your hunts! Killing an elk is only icing on the cake.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Bearcat I just realized on 7/2/20 that this blog from the hiker is 4 days of hiking into the West Elk Wilderness, see the previous next on the upper right side of his page, click next, and you will see days 2,3,and 4 of his hike with extensive photos. I have looked for 20 years for information like this to view. Enjoy HH

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Bearcat I just realized on 7/2/20 that this blog from the hiker is 4 days of hiking into the West Elk Wilderness, see the previous next on the upper right side of his page, click next, and you will see days 2,3,and 4 of his hike with extensive photos. I have looked for 20 years for information like this to view. Enjoy HH

I didn’t pay any attention to the next few additions, thanks for the info. I’m going to print these off and put in my notebook.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Chrono’d the load I’m taking from my 708.

140 Accubond
H4350 - 48.5grs
2802fps
ES - 12
SD - 6

6 rounds - .8” @ 112yds

It’s about 3000 degrees so I’m going to give it until this evening and shoot/chrono again.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by iddave

This. No one would mistake me for a fitness guru...but I tag bulls on public lands pretty regularly because I simply want it more than most. I get up earlier, go further, stay later, and generally hunt “harder” than most everyone around me. Its an imperfect approach, but it pays off over the long haul pretty well.

Dave

Amen, and I've seen the pictures. One thing bearcat'll need to go along with that is some decent navigation skills. Those along with being in decent shape with a good mindset will help with getting further away from camp without worrying about getting lost.

How are your navigation skills bearcat?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Dave

Amen, and I've seen the pictures. One thing bearcat'll need to go along with that is some decent navigation skills. Those along with being in decent shape with a good mindset will help with getting further away from camp without worrying about getting lost.

Ive only hunted around East TN and some in Alabama but I do pretty good on new territory. I carry a map, compass and a GPS. I will admit that this will be completely different than anything I’m used to and is a little intimidating. I’m going to meet up with a local guy that has hunted this Unit before so we can go over some maps, landmarks, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM

This is funny. and true.

I've take quite a few people on their first western elk hunt. A few things I see:

1) People aren't prepared. Elk hunting is hard. Period. Many eastern guys aren't mentally or physically prepared for what they are about to see/encounter. In my mind, there is flat-land good shape, and then there is Rocky Mtn good shape. I tell everyone from the east: I don't care how good of shape you are in, you will wish you spent more time, and doing much more work, to be in better cardiovascular condition. You can not be in too good of shape. Living in East Tn, you do have an advantage. East TN has real mountains, with real relief and topography. Spend time in the Smoky's. I guarantee if you start at Clingmans Dome and hike down Noland ridge to Fontana and back, you'll cover 29ish miles and 4600 feet in elevation. You can scale anything in between as training.

2) You won't freeze to death. Many people get intimidated by the temps. Trust me 20 degrees in CO/WY/MT is not the same as 20 degrees in the east. Humidity sucks and makes it feel colder than it really is. You won't need a -40 degree bag, 17 layers of clothes, or 2000 gram boots. And you will be ok at night if you buy a good sleeping bag.

3) Things to spend money on: Feet system, Base Layers. I wore Danner elk hunters for 10 years or so. Good boots. Spend time trying to figure out socks and boot fit with the goal of moving moisture away from your feet. You won't be elk hunting long with blisters on your feet - take care of your feet. In like manner, buy good base layers. I like synthetic for the quick drying factor. If you go synthetic make sure they have polygiene or similar to keep the stench down.

4) Misc things: Leukatape will help with foot care. A beanie at night in the sleeping bag makes a difference. Get maps and a GPS - but don't rely solely on the GPS.

You'll be fine with your current rifle set up and shooting. I personally don't take a spotting scope. 10x42 binocs have served me well.

Gotta take the wife out.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BTW: I've hunted 54 a couple times in/around West Elk Wilderness. It can be steep rugged country. I've seen elk that I couldn't get to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
BTW: I've hunted 54 a couple times in/around West Elk Wilderness. It can be steep rugged country. I've seen elk that I couldn't get to.

Big plus 1 on that.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WAM

This is funny. and true.

I've take quite a few people on their first western elk hunt. A few things I see:

1) People aren't prepared. Elk hunting is hard. Period. Many eastern guys aren't mentally or physically prepared for what they are about to see/encounter. In my mind, there is flat-land good shape, and then there is Rocky Mtn good shape. I tell everyone from the east: I don't care how good of shape you are in, you will wish you spent more time, and doing much more work, to be in better cardiovascular condition. You can not be in too good of shape. Living in East Tn, you do have an advantage. East TN has real mountains, with real relief and topography. Spend time in the Smoky's. I guarantee if you start at Clingmans Dome and hike down Noland ridge to Fontana and back, you'll cover 29ish miles and 4600 feet in elevation. You can scale anything in between as training.

2) You won't freeze to death. Many people get intimidated by the temps. Trust me 20 degrees in CO/WY/MT is not the same as 20 degrees in the east. Humidity sucks and makes it feel colder than it really is. You won't need a -40 degree bag, 17 layers of clothes, or 2000 gram boots. And you will be ok at night if you buy a good sleeping bag.

3) Things to spend money on: Feet system, Base Layers. I wore Danner elk hunters for 10 years or so. Good boots. Spend time trying to figure out socks and boot fit with the goal of moving moisture away from your feet. You won't be elk hunting long with blisters on your feet - take care of your feet. In like manner, buy good base layers. I like synthetic for the quick drying factor. If you go synthetic make sure they have polygiene or similar to keep the stench down.

4) Misc things: Leukatape will help with foot care. A beanie at night in the sleeping bag makes a difference. Get maps and a GPS - but don't rely solely on the GPS.

You'll be fine with your current rifle set up and shooting. I personally don't take a spotting scope. 10x42 binocs have served me well.

Gotta take the wife out.

Thanks, I was hoping you’d chime in as I knew you were an East TN guy and you had hunted n Colorado. I’m a ways from the Smokey’s but I do get up that way some. I’m right next to the Big South Fork and North a Cumberland WMA. I‘ve been hiking both of those places and on my lease in the mountains trying to find the steepest terrain possible. I know even with this I won’t be totally prepared physically.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reads like we hunted the same area above Blue Mesa Reservoir in the West Elk Wilderness area. Great salmon fishing right from shore if a guy fills up early about that time of the year. Best advise would be to hydrate more than think that you need to because it is so dry out there. Also getting a stair stepper to get the quadriceps in good shape was a great help for me. A big epiphany for me as a flat lander was that the CO. quadrangle maps and the WI. quadrangle maps have a different scale. Those slope close lines on the map here are no big deal. Out there they are darn near vertical. I did a road to road trek one day and it was so rough when I heard an elk coming that I prayed that it wouldn't be a bull because I was just in getting through to the other side mode and there was no way we were getting an elk out of that area. New guys told the guy who invited us out there that they had a great time, but don't ever invite them to come back again. No atv's and it will tax you physically. Then drop something just a little smaller than a milk cow a few ridges back at high altitude with thin air...

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Dave

Ive only hunted around East TN and some in Alabama but I do pretty good on new territory. I carry a map, compass and a GPS. I will admit that this will be completely different than anything I’m used to and is a little intimidating. I’m going to meet up with a local guy that has hunted this Unit before so we can go over some maps, landmarks, etc.

Good plan. The more mobile you are and the farther you can step out away from camp/roads/trails the higher your success rate will be, year in year-out.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm actually taking a first time elk hunter from church with me this year and have been thinking alot about this topic helping him sort things out. A couple more thoughts:

1) Food. Check with your outfitter to see what the individual weight limit is. I'm guessing 60-75 lbs. I HATE freeze dried/dehydrated food. Wife and I went backpacking a few weeks back and had some Backpacker Pantry that was actually pretty good. My personal preference is Seal-A-Meal real food frozen to perfection. Plan a menu for how many guys are going, pre-make the meals, keep them frozen on way out. If they thaw but stay cold, all is still good as long as they don't get warm. The first guy back to camp fires up the stove, puts water on and throws the meal for the night into the pot. 15-20 mins later you are eating real food. If you weigh all your gear and split the meals between all the guys, you should be fine. I'd say a good, warm meal at the end of the day is a real bonus, both mentally and physically.

2) Clothing/sleeping. I was in a hurry when I typed my original message. Plan for low teens at night, low 40s during the day. This can swing 20 degrees one way or the other. Warmer is no big deal. Cooler/colder is simply a matter of putting on more clothes. Get a 0-20 degree bag and adjust your sleeping temp with clothes. On outer wear, you can cover alot of ground with a good base layer, a mid layer (think Sitka Core Heavyweight/Patagonia R2), a good puffy, and a good outer layer windbreaker. I've hunted down into the single digits with this setup. Elk hunting is a more mobile game than deer. Overheating and sweat management is the key. As an example, I tend to hike to my area in a light baselayer (FirstLite Aerowool shirt) and a Sitka Core Heavyweight. That works down into the teens. Wind is the only wildcard. Wind and 15-20 degrees can suck.

3) Guns/bullets/shots. I've seen your posts for years - you'll be ok with your gun/bullet/scope combos. I dare say most long time posters but first time elk hunters overthink the gun/bullet part. I did - and still do <G>. I'm not in the same league as many of the long time elk posters but have managed to kill 7-8-9 elk in the past 10-12 years and a couple of good 6 pts. The longest shot has been ~ 225 yards. The rest have been less than 100, some as close as 10 yards. I tend to still hunt in the timber which explains the distances. Prepare for 4-500 yards but don't overlook 20 yards. I'd bet shot be between 75 and 250 yards.

The BSF is a great place to train. Honey Creek loop is one of my favorites. Load a pack with 25 lbs or so and go. The key is elevation - both uphill and downhill under load. If your going with an outfitter, ask about horse retrieval. A horse is a marvelous machine when it comes to 200 lbs of elk meat on the ground. Be the best $2-300 ever, especially if its in deep and ugly. Work out the details ahead of time. If no horse, have a plan. You'll hear lots of he-man stories of guys carrying 100 lbs of elk for 10 miles. A fully grown bull hind quarter will weigh 60-65 lbs each side. A front about 30-40. If an elk is more than 1 mile from camp/truck, plan to carry 1 hind or 2 fronts at a time. It will be a 3-4 trip deal depending on what you take the first trip. And it will suck. Hiking poles are a great aid.

You haven't asked about finding elk but I found the series of videos from Randy Newberg very helpful in thinking about where to find elk. Elk country is huge and elk, especially bulls after the rut, don't occupy much of it. Bulls tend to withdraw to secure little areas to eat and rest. Finding them can be tough. As smoke pointed out, mobility is your friend. Where they aren't is almost as valuable as where they are. If you have multiple guys that aren't intimidated by the country, map out a game plan so each of you can hunt/scout/evaluate different areas early in the hunt. Then compare notes at the end of each day. I tend to move until I find the elk. Away from people is the best bet. Distance works well, especially away from trails and easy travel routes. Tough terrain works better but can wear on a guy if he's not finding animals. I really like small secluded feed areas off the beaten path, with an adjacent north facing, black timbered slope. I look in avalanche chutes and the top end of drainages for small meadows. I also like aspens with green grass in them adjacent to black timbered areas off the beaten path. I also find bulls tend to like to bed in the upper parts of the mountain - unless pressure pushes them somewhere else, then its a new ball game and they can be anywhere.............

Most importantly - have fun. If you don't kill an elk, it is a week spent in some of the most beautiful country God created.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin

Big plus 1 on that.

I hunted on the west side of the canyon. Very good elk country, especially down in the canyon. You gotta be a little nuts to go into it.................

I've also hunted north of the canyon, out past Anthracite Ridge a ways. That area is way different than West Elk.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm actually taking a first time elk hunter from church with me this year and have been thinking alot about this topic helping him sort things out. A couple more thoughts:

1) Food. Check with your outfitter to see what the individual weight limit is. I'm guessing 60-75 lbs. I HATE freeze dried/dehydrated food. Wife and I went backpacking a few weeks back and had some Backpacker Pantry that was actually pretty good. My personal preference is Seal-A-Meal real food frozen to perfection. Plan a menu for how many guys are going, pre-make the meals, keep them frozen on way out. If they thaw but stay cold, all is still good as long as they don't get warm. The first guy back to camp fires up the stove, puts water on and throws the meal for the night into the pot. 15-20 mins later you are eating real food. If you weigh all your gear and split the meals between all the guys, you should be fine. I'd say a good, warm meal at the end of the day is a real bonus, both mentally and physically.

I am taking some dehydrated meals but we are also taking real food. I think dehydrated for breakfast, some snacks and real food at the end of the day is a great idea. I think the limit is around 75lbs.

2) Clothing/sleeping. I was in a hurry when I typed my original message. Plan for low teens at night, low 40s during the day. This can swing 20 degrees one way or the other. Warmer is no big deal. Cooler/colder is simply a matter of putting on more clothes. Get a 0-20 degree bag and adjust your sleeping temp with clothes. On outer wear, you can cover alot of ground with a good base layer, a mid layer (think Sitka Core Heavyweight/Patagonia R2), a good puffy, and a good outer layer windbreaker. I've hunted down into the single digits with this setup. Elk hunting is a more mobile game than deer. Overheating and sweat management is the key. As an example, I tend to hike to my area in a light baselayer (FirstLite Aerowool shirt) and a Sitka Core Heavyweight. That works down into the teens. Wind is the only wildcard. Wind and 15-20 degrees can suck.

I am looking at different base layers now as I think those will help with my management of heat and clothing. Obviously I don’t want to get cold but if I sweat a ton moving then I’ll never get warm. When I hunt around here I dress light going in and pack my heavier gear. I thought that might work out there but I had one guy tell me 1000gr boots, 2-3 pair of wool socks and at least a snow suit. I’ll look like a hillbilly Randy off the Christmas Story.

3) Guns/bullets/shots. I've seen your posts for years - you'll be ok with your gun/bullet/scope combos. I dare say most long time posters but first time elk hunters overthink the gun/bullet part. I did - and still do <G>. I'm not in the same league as many of the long time elk posters but have managed to kill 7-8-9 elk in the past 10-12 years and a couple of good 6 pts. The longest shot has been ~ 225 yards. The rest have been less than 100, some as close as 10 yards. I tend to still hunt in the timber which explains the distances. Prepare for 4-500 yards but don't overlook 20 yards. I'd bet shot be between 75 and 250 yards.

Originally I was going to take my 7wsm or my 30-06. I had some 180 Partitions but I just never got the consistency I wanted from them and after fooling with it the 7 was just heavier than I wanted to pack. I’ve seen the posts on here about the 708 and elk so since it’s lighter, I shoot it really well and it seems very effective I went that route. I have 2nd guessed it a few times and the guys I’m going with think I’m crazy. They’re 7 mags and a 300 weatherby with 6-24x50’s on them. If I find one that’s foolish is enough to be in my area and close enough for a shot my plan is to hit him in the important parts.

The BSF is a great place to train. Honey Creek loop is one of my favorites. Load a pack with 25 lbs or so and go. The key is elevation - both uphill and downhill under load. If your going with an outfitter, ask about horse retrieval. A horse is a marvelous machine when it comes to 200 lbs of elk meat on the ground. Be the best $2-300 ever, especially if its in deep and ugly. Work out the details ahead of time. If no horse, have a plan. You'll hear lots of he-man stories of guys carrying 100 lbs of elk for 10 miles. A fully grown bull hind quarter will weigh 60-65 lbs each side. A front about 30-40. If an elk is more than 1 mile from camp/truck, plan to carry 1 hind or 2 fronts at a time. It will be a 3-4 trip deal depending on what you take the first trip. And it will suck. Hiking poles are a great aid.

Honey Creek is a great hike. I’ve been taking a pack but it may be a little light. I’ll add some more weight. I talked to the ram rod of our trip and he said if one of us gets an elk we can contact the outfitter and they will try to get a horse up to it.

You haven't asked about finding elk but I found the series of videos from Randy Newberg very helpful in thinking about where to find elk. Elk country is huge and elk, especially bulls after the rut, don't occupy much of it. Bulls tend to withdraw to secure little areas to eat and rest. Finding them can be tough. As smoke pointed out, mobility is your friend. Where they aren't is almost as valuable as where they are. If you have multiple guys that aren't intimidated by the country, map out a game plan so each of you can hunt/scout/evaluate different areas early in the hunt. Then compare notes at the end of each day. I tend to move until I find the elk. Away from people is the best bet. Distance works well, especially away from trails and easy travel routes. Tough terrain works better but can wear on a guy if he's not finding animals. I really like small secluded feed areas off the beaten path, with an adjacent north facing, black timbered slope. I look in avalanche chutes and the top end of drainages for small meadows. I also like aspens with green grass in them adjacent to black timbered areas off the beaten path. I also find bulls tend to like to bed in the upper parts of the mountain - unless pressure pushes them somewhere else, then its a new ball game and they can be anywhere.............

Ive been reading and watching as much stuff as I can. The guys I’m going with are dead set on me having to have a 60x spotting scope to pack around. I’m not seeing it but I sure ain’t an elk hunter so I may regret not taking one. The advice I’ve gotten here says I will not regret not having one and that’s enough for me.

So bulls are kind of like whitetail bucks other than When they’re chasing the wimmins they’re probably hiding in a hole somewhere close to water?

Most importantly - have fun. If you don't kill an elk, it is a week spent in some of the most beautiful country God created.

It will be tough but it will be a good time, I’m sure of it.

Thanks again

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Navigating in the west is a breeze compared to the thick flat east.. not sure why westerners always feel the need to worry experienced eastern hunters over it. Pay attention to direction, landmarks and incoming storms. All there is to it.

And don’t shoot the first one you see 😜

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rosco, when you can get on a high mountain top in Colorado then look back and see Missouri, its a little disconcerting to us Midwest/eastern folks.

eek

He went over yonder way
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Heeler
Rosco, when you can get on a high mountain top in Colorado then look back and see Missouri, its a little disconcerting to us Midwest/eastern folks.

eek

Lol

As for not shooting the first one I see, I can’t make any promises If it’s legal.

The theme of be sure you can recover them has came up several times. That’s something that I wouldn’t have considered. Experience like that are why I started this thread.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

As for not shooting the first one I see, I can’t make any promises If it’s legal.

The theme of be sure you can recover them has came up several times. That’s something that I wouldn’t have considered. Experience like that are why I started this thread.

When hunting Colorado and on public land,you had best shoot the first legal bull you see as it may be the only one. Colorado manages the elk herd (if you can call it that ) for quantity, not quality. Unless you are in the realm of 20-24 preference points to draw a very limited trophy unit, or even 7-8 preference points, you chance of killing a 300+ bull is slim to none and in most cases slim has already saddled up and left. A lot of good bulls are killed in archery season when the rut is one. There are always a few bigger bulls killed in rifle seasons ,but most are raghorn 4x's and maybe small 5x's 3 or 4 years old. In 46 years of hunting Colorado,I have taken 4 bulls in excess of 300, biggest was 340+ in unit that took 22 points to draw. However I have killed a lot of the raghorns and cows too. I only hunt cows now. I want to hunt elk every year I have left and that isn't but 3-4. I have enough horns laying around.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/05/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Only 1 comment. You will sweat when you elk hunt - no way around it if you're going to move up/down the mountain. The better clothing systems are amazing at how they handle perspiration. Same with good boots. Thay are designed to move sweat away from your body/feet.

Look up John Barklow rewarming drill. He basically jumps into a creek/lake in winter fully clothed. He then starts moving and let's his body heat dry his clothes out. It doesnt take long. I've not done that but have had sweat running down my back while hiking in. I put on a puffy designed to move sweat and shazam, was dry within 30 mins. And warm. Cotton anything is not your friend in the mountains. Synthetic, merino, or a blend is the way to go next to skin. A quality puffy is another must have.

The other thing is the lack of humidity out west in most areas. Things in the west dry way faster on their own than in the east.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rosco1
Navigating in the west is a breeze compared to the thick flat east.. not sure why westerners always feel the need to worry experienced eastern hunters over it. Pay attention to direction, landmarks and incoming storms. All there is to it.

Well, my point wasn't as much about "navigation skills" as it was about being comfortable getting away from camp if there aren't any elk near camp. Some people are comfortable with that, others aren't. I grew up hunting the thick flat east and there's no question, it's much easier to get lost back there where you can't see.

There's also no question that growing up back east, you don't get much practice navigating by "paying attention to landmarks." Because most of the time you can't see landmarks. Just like you can't see landmarks out west, after then sun sets.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

When hunting Colorado and on public land,you had best shoot the first legal bull you see as it may be the only one. Colorado manages the elk herd (if you can call it that ) for quantity, not quality. Unless you are in the realm of 20-24 preference points to draw a very limited trophy unit, or even 7-8 preference points, you chance of killing a 300+ bull is slim to none and in most cases slim has already saddled up and left. A lot of good bulls are killed in archery season when the rut is one. There are always a few bigger bulls killed in rifle seasons ,but most are raghorn 4x's and maybe small 5x's 3 or 4 years old. In 46 years of hunting Colorado,I have taken 4 bulls in excess of 300, biggest was 340+ in unit that took 22 points to draw. However I have killed a lot of the raghorns and cows too. I only hunt cows now. I want to hunt elk every year I have left and that isn't but 3-4. I have enough horns laying around.

I could not agree more with shooting the first legal bull. Last year, I shot a 5x7 opening day just before dark thirty. Not a trophy bull, but he sure has been good eating. I saw one other bull a couple of days later while deer hunting in the same area and would not have taken that shot due to range and brush cover. The year before I took an average 5x5 and was glad of it! Sometimes another hunter in our group will kill a better bull and often times not. I’ve killed a dump truck load of elk and never a trophy 6x6+. I like taking an elk early in the season and then seriously hunting mule deer if I have a tag.

Don’t overthink the rifle issue. Any good .277 on up will work with good bullets and marksmanship. Good hunting!

Last edited by WAM; 07/06/20.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do not pass up any legal bull. I've seen a grand total of 1 legal bull in two trips with a total of 14 days in the mountains. I am definitely in the early stages of learning. Few big things that I don't know if has been mentioned or not:

Get up every morning and hunt. You will be tired, and it will be easy to snooze the alarm. Don't.

Do not leave early because it is day 5 and you haven't seen anything. That one legal bull I saw is the one in my avatar, and it was mid morning on the last day of the season.

Whenever you are planning your hunt on OnX/Google Earth, if you figure you can get to X glassing spot in X amount of minutes, double that time. I.E., my first planned glassing spot last year was 9/10 of a mile from camp. An hour of hiking time to get there before legal light is plenty right? Wrong. A little over 2 hours later we sat down on our kicked asses.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I should have been more clear on the passing up a legal bull. After several posts about being able to retrieve them, the only way the 1st legal bull I see won’t get shot is if it’s in a place that can’t be accessed. Other than that I’ll tag the 1st legal one I see and be tickled to death if given the opportunity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It reads like you are going back in and setting up a spike camp. Much as I wanted to do that, camping along the gravel access road and being back for a hot meal every night seemed like a better idea. Doing that what worked very well for me was figuring what the the other guys in the area were doing and not doing that. Most of those guys were horse guys and the horse trails started lower down the mountain. Elk don't like people and would head for the rougher canyons when they were pressured. I would get up real early in the morning and drive a few miles up the mountain and climb a hill no horse would go up. That way I could get two or three ridges back in before first light and could be between the canyon and the horse guys coming up every morning. I saw more elk when I hunted them more like deer back home and hunted security cover and travel fingers of heavy cover. Deer around here move a few hundred yards. Elk out there go a lot longer distance when spooked and they move down the mountain every night, so new elk would be in the area every morning that weather or other hunters pushed them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by rosco1

Well, my point wasn't as much about "navigation skills" as it was about being comfortable getting away from camp if there aren't any elk near camp. Some people are comfortable with that, others aren't. I grew up hunting the thick flat east and there's no question, it's much easier to get lost back there where you can't see.

There's also no question that growing up back east, you don't get much practice navigating by "paying attention to landmarks." Because most of the time you can't see landmarks. Just like you can't see landmarks out west, after then sun sets.

I believe that nav skills are the difference between an outdoorsman and a wannabe. If you have spent enough time hunting in almost any environment you will have been caught in the dark, fog, whiteouts etc. Descending the wrong gully or walking off a cliff happens to the unprepared on a regular basis. If you aren't an ace w/ map and compass you better carry bivy gear or stay on the road. The compasses are even more important than are the headlamps, I always carry 2 of each.

Do not underestimate the importance of having and consuming lots of water and supplementing electrolytes. Dry air, altitude and heavy breathing will have you assdragging, stay ahead of the curve and don't depend on finding water if you are moving through strange country.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of sage advice So far.

For comfort layering is key & I like Merino wool for warmth to weight & less stink - Black Ovis & Camofire have good prices. A couple of merino light & heavy, layer to cut the wind & a waterproof layer are nice. Clothing can be antique eBay wool & 2nd hand shop stuff or ridiculous expensive. My best recent acquisitions Kuiu guide pants nice & warm with side vents, And a First Light uncomphagre puffy is very flexible. Sounds like you have good boots.

Carry game bags watch how to cut an elk up with the gutless method, they are really big compared to any deer. I bought a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 this year & it looks & feels great. Lots of expensive good ones out there. OnX is worth having on the phone Use it offline & bring an extra charge battery. Elk meat is too tasty to pass up legal animals by the way.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I’ve used the gutless method on whitetail, same process just on a much bigger animal?

I think this is the wrong way?

Someone recommended these game bags to one of the other guys, good option?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020555089?pid=800999

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bearcat 74: LOL ! That is a good way to get the job done..... NOT ! : ) I can only imagine the smell...wait I actually can, have gutted a gut shot buck for a friend many years ago.

Those game bags look like a good product in my mind. Glad to see you are going in well prepared and with confidence you will be successful on your hunt. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 07/10/20.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Looking for some advice pack wise, boot wise, sleeping bag etc. We will have a tent with cots and a wood stove.

I have a pair of 600gram Danner Elk Hunters I wear in cold weather, sufficient with wool socks?

Clueless on the pack

Thanks

Im surprised you arent taking one of your ruger 77's

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Get high, glass then glass more. Head of canyons

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No experience with those game bags but have used several different ones - I prefer the rugged enough to wash & get a few years of use. Bought 5 of the lightweight Ovis bags with the built in tie string & reflecting tape on sale at Camofire for $10 each. Last year I used a generic bag and dragged a 2nd hind quarter a mile in the snow - that bag did it’s job.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Alaskan game bags try em

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Clueless on the pack

Thanks

That was my plan originally. I shot 50 rounds of 180 partitions with H4350 and H4831 but I could never get real consistency. I should have tried 180 Accubond as it shoots the 180 ballistic tip really good. I also worked some with my model 70 wsm but it was heavier than I wanted to pack. I had some 140 Accubonds and after shooting them and seeing how much success Pharm and several other have had with the 708 I just decided I would take it instead.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Alaskan game bags try em

I’ll check’m out

Thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Clueless on the pack

Thanks

That was my plan originally. I shot 50 rounds of 180 partitions with H4350 and H4831 but I could never get real consistency. I should have tried 180 Accubond as it shoots the 180 ballistic tip really good. I also worked some with my model 70 wsm but it was heavier than I wanted to pack. I had some 140 Accubonds and after shooting them and seeing how much success Pharm and several other have had with the 708 I just decided I would take it instead.

Sounds reasonable. Good luck with your hunt my friend..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Clueless on the pack

Thanks

Sounds reasonable. Good luck with your hunt my friend..

Thanks, I’ll need it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 14 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,278
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.