Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jericho Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was talking to a friend of mine that I hadnt heard from in awhile and he told me that he had lost his Grandfather over a year ago. They had got a dog for him in the last year of his life and the dog would sit with him on the porch in the evenings with other family members. When his Grandfather was unable to take care of himself towards the end they placed him in a retirement home and he passed away in less than a week. Shortly after he passed the dog started acting strange and stopped eating. They found the dog dead laying under the porch swing that his Grandfather would sit in every evening. He thought it was weird how the dog died suddenly. I mentioned this to another friend of mine and he said it is very common for a dog or a cat to die suddenly after the owner passes on. He said he has even heard of a dog refusing to leave the owners side after they have passed at home. Any of you experienced this?

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not unusual at all. Dogs are committed.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a documented thing with animals called "separation anxiety". Some dogs are pretty affected and perhaps this dog was very attached and suffered greatly and it aggravated a pre-existing condition. It can happen with dogs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look up Greyfriar's Bobby. He guarded his master's grave for 14 years.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my yellow lab is very attached to me. If we go anywhere longer than a couple of days, my son or mother in law will Face-Time the dog so I can talk to him. 👍

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jericho
I was talking to a friend of mine that I hadnt heard from in awhile and he told me that he had lost his Grandfather over a year ago. They had got a dog for him in the last year of his life and the dog would sit with him on the porch in the evenings with other family members. When his Grandfather was unable to take care of himself towards the end they placed him in a retirement home and he passed away in less than a week. Shortly after he passed the dog started acting strange and stopped eating. They found the dog dead laying under the porch swing that his Grandfather would sit in every evening. He thought it was weird how the dog died suddenly. I mentioned this to another friend of mine and he said it is very common for a dog or a cat to die suddenly after the owner passes on. He said he has even heard of a dog refusing to leave the owners side after they have passed at home. Any of you experienced this?

Common among dogs. They are pack animals, and form very close emotional ties. Chìmps also can die soon after their best friends or mates die, just from refraining from eating.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dogs love unconditionally.

Last edited by WhiteTail48; 06/27/20.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jericho

Not sure about that dog, but I can guarantee my Dad's blue healer will soon join him if he passes first.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Its been a few years, but the black dog under my left arm did that. He was the cow dog at the ranch, Grandpa died, and a couple months later so did the dog, and he was only 8 years old...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I lost my wife in Aug of 18 and 5 weeks later our/her Boxer.I had taken her to the vet twice and after lots of test ect he told me the same thing twice, he said she has a broken heart and there is nothing he or I could do about it. A few days later I found her on her moms pillow. Now they both sit on the mantel together.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by leesway2
I lost my wife in Aug of 18 and 5 weeks later our/her Boxer.I had taken her to the vet twice and after lots of test ect he told me the same thing twice, he said she has a broken heart and there is nothing he or I could do about it. A few days later I found her on her moms pillow. Now they both sit on the mantel together.

Sad and beautiful at the same time...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Our dog has been depressed for 6 months. She just stares out the window waiting for her alpha who isn't coming back. If a similar looking truck drives anywhere near, she jumps up but then sighs, whines and lays down I don't think she will last long no matter how hard we try to keep her happy. It's really sad.

Better not to take the shot, than to screw it up.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I need to get back home. To see my dog!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Huntress there is a very good chance that if are more dominant towards your dog he will feel more secure again and return to being a happier dog

J
Jericho Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang, I need to get another dog, havent had one in years....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BD_Huntress

Our dog has been depressed for 6 months. She just stares out the window waiting for her alpha who isn't coming back. If a similar looking truck drives anywhere near, she jumps up but then sighs, whines and lays down I don't think she will last long no matter how hard we try to keep her happy. It's really sad.

Get that dog out for walks 2-3 times a day, spend a lot of time with training, get the dog busy and involved and you can bring her around.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
God, on a night that i picked weeds off my dogs grave, I read this...

Last edited by Rooster7; 06/29/20.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We had one that started grieving after the older dog she had been raised with passed on. Went on about two years. Bringing another pup home snapped her out of it.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Next to family members, my dog is the best person in my life. Thats why she my avatar. Hell of a hunter and tracker also.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I can't comprehend how people hate dogs. (like Deflave)

We are a 1 dog family right now (Stella the Wonder Doodle) but have a new pup arriving in mid-July. We usually run a 3 dog house.

Life is richer with dogs, and I trust my dog's nose, sight, and hearing around the house with my life.

Anyone I come across who is a dog hater, or who my dogs hate, I just choke up on the leash and walk on...

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.