Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Looks like I’m headed to Colorado in late Oct for a hunt with some friends.

Looking for some advice pack wise, boot wise, sleeping bag etc. We will have a tent with cots and a wood stove.

I have a pair of 600gram Danner Elk Hunters I wear in cold weather, sufficient with wool socks?

I have a -40 military sleeping bag system.

Clueless on the pack

Rem 700 LSFV bedded into another stock, 140 Accubond, case full of H4350

Good gloves and mittens, good knives,I think my clothing will be ok.

Any and all tips and advice is appreciated.

Thanks

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Get in shape! Every year I’ve gone, it doesn’t take long for me to be thinking, “I wish I had worked out harder”.

There are only two things wrong with Colorado....too many rocks to turn your ankle and not enough oxygen 😀

Last edited by navlav8r; 06/28/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be prepared to look at 700lb of very dead elk in a very difficult place miles from the road and say 'Oh crap, what have I done.'

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I try to stay in pretty good shape, but I know it won’t be good enough. I walk 4-8 miles 3-4 days a week, lift weights 3 days a week and use a concept 2 rower off and on if I don’t walk. I’m sure I’ll be searching for oxygen quickly into the hunt. I don’t think TN oxygen is the same as Colorado oxygen, lol.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Get an insulated air mattress like the Klymit Static V Luxe to put on the cot and take a bunch of chemical toe warmers to keep feet warm. . Also a box, at least of Handiwipes to keep yourself clean after going to the crapper . Wear pair of poly socks under the wool socks to wick away moisture and preven tblisters. I prefer a heavier bullet, but I am sure the 140 gr will do the job

https://klymit.com/products/insulated-static-v-luxe-sleeping-pad?variant=31722981490778

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/28/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good luck with your first elk hunt! Stay in shape you will be good! Dont worry about packing out elk, sometimes it takes a couple days!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Being physically in shape is important, but I believe being mentally prepared for the hunt is equally so, if not more.

I've seen lots of people in seemingly good shape turn around and go back to the pickup, because they didn't want an elk badly enough: though they thought that they did beforehand.
I've also seen a fair number of bigger guys make it to the elk, because they wanted to, badly enough. Throw in the nasty weather, altitude sickness and whatever else....and you'll find out if you want an elk bad enough.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
A bunch of good packs being made now days, I favor stone glacier but exo and kifaru also have a lot of fans.

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Get & use some hiking or treking poles, carry a map of the area.
Download the Colorado trail explorer ( COTREX ) app to your phone.
Big plus on dude wipes or handiwipes. Keep them next to you, if they are in your pack they can freeze.
Carry 2 liters of water with you when hunting.
Plan to drink about 2 to 3 liters daily to avoid cramps and altitude sickness issues.
You can get electrolyte replacement in powder form (Amazon) if you prefer flavored water
There are small aerosol style cans of oxygen available (Amazon) if you think you need them.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Good info so far, thanks. I’ll have a first aid kit with me as well.

I already have trekking poles but taking them never crossed my mind.

Would a water bottle like the LifeStraw be a good edition on the trip?

IC B3

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Elk generally are never very far from some water source. Always filter standing water, lakes, ponds.
Some streams could be ok but you don't know whats 100 yds upstream. So yes to lifestraw bottle.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ll mention what’s important to me, since everyone is different don’t know if it’s meaningful to you.

I only care about coffee in the morning. Strong coffee. No talking. I will eat whatever, or nothing, so long as I have strong coffee.

A ground pad (like a backpackers pad) cut in half is nice when you want to take a nap on the snow.

OnX is super nice to have aerials with you.

Don’t go back to camp for lunch unless you are moving location. Take a nap in the field. Amazing how many elk we kill in the middle of the day.

Calories are important. Carry them with you. I like the thin sandwich rounds with butter, salami, and cheese. And apples. I also lose weight just because I get tired of not eating good food.

And that brings us to supper. Usually after dark. Fast is most important because I need sleep.

Get as much sleep as you can!

The biggest 6x6 I’ve killed was the only elk I saw in 10 days. Last year I had a bull tag for Idaho and saw 3 cows in 5 days but no bulls. Public land hunts are that way sometimes. It gets tough when you aren’t seeing animals. Keep your spirits up!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of good tips here on this thread.. Write them down A few that I have learned in addition are as follows:

Chap sticks. Can be also used ans a hand cream. Buy about 5 of them and carry one with you IN THE PACK.
Swiss Army Knife and a diamond steel for sharpening. Your belt knife is good but the Swiss Army is going to be the one you reach for most times for everyday tasks.
A good compass. Very useful if you need to come back to camp at night.
Good flashlight. Buy batteries the same week you leave and get 2 extra sets.
Carry a road flare. It's good to make fire with even under the wettest conditions.
Hand soap and a hand towel.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For your boots question my boots are 200 gram with wool socks and I’m good if I’m moving or sitting for 1-2 hours. I can’t sit all day anywhere.

My pack is a Mystery Ranch but a lot of good packs out there. So long as it’s comfortable you’ll be good.

Don’t worry about how to get the elk out of the hell hole you need to kill it in. Just go in there and figure it out later. Don’t worry, you’ll get it figured out.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My advice to the new guys that come with us. #1. Make sure you have a warm, dry place to sleep at night. #2 Make sure you have clothes, boots, whatever that will keep you dry and warm during the day in all weather. Layers are paramount. Carhartt is not the answer. If you get wet and cold, life will suck. The more money you spend, the lighter the weight the clothes, tent, sleeping bag etc. Prioritize sexy gear like guns, backpacks, binos, after the clothes, boots, tents, sleeping gear.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have run into a lot of guys that killed elk in a nasty place and didn't have way to figured out on how to get it out . They come into my camp every year begging me to pack it out on my mules. In later seasons it is not as bad , but in early season,you just might have meat spoilage before you get it all out. Have a plan on how you will get it out before you even go hunting. At times,it is wiser to put the safety back on on let the elk walk.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have run into a lot of guys that killed elk in a nasty place and didn't have way to figured out on how to get it out . They come into my camp every year begging me to pack it out on my mules. In later seasons it is not as bad , but in early season,you just might have meat spoilage before you get it all out. Have a plan on how you will get it out before you even go hunting. At times,it is wiser to put the safety back on on let the elk walk.

Easier than that; why even hunt in a place like that?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Use some common sense. Some years ago, we opened moose season with 90F temps. There's no way we could have saved the meat if we'd got one. We went home. We were back a week later and I got a moose at the same place in 10" of snow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I dont think anyone mentioned it, but I highly recommend you find the best set of binoculars that you can afford for this trip. They will be your number one tool for finding and killing an elk. You will feel naked if you dont have glass to look through on your hunt.

For my feet 600 grams is too hot. You will be moving, and that much insulation could cause your feet to sweat. Sweating feet=wet feet. Wet feet=Cold Feet.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Be prepared to look at 700lb of very dead elk in a very difficult place miles from the road and say 'Oh crap, what have I done.'

Yep!! Ha ha ha! The "Oh crap" sets in sometime into the cutting...before that, at least for me, is Elk Fever far worse than any Buck Fever I ever experienced.

If you know how to dress from mild to very cold by adding a few layers, you should be set for the weather. Fire is a must if you get back in a ways and find a blizzard that was not exactly expected.

Killing the elk is generally third to finding them and surviving the task of getting to them, but don't be surprised if one pops out 50 feet from a road, and you get an easy bull. I've never done it, but, by God, I have seen it too many times.

Edited to add: bringing an elk up SUCKS. Better to get into a position where you are bringing one down. Have a good walking stick, even if you think you don't need one.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 06/29/20.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.