Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm looking for recommendations for a ground blind for waterhole hunting Pronghorns.

Jim
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I don't know about Pronghorns but here in NC my daughter and i use the Ameristep Brickhouse and it works great for us. It's easy to put up and take down and is very roomy for one or two people with plenty of room to draw a bow. They have little elastic bands around the top which holds branches and makes it easy to brush in. We have two and one of them is about 5yrs old and still in good shape. We take them down every year after the season and store them and they seem to be holding up really well. They work great here for Whitetails so i assume they would work just as well for Pronghorn. You can find them for around $100 and less if you shop around, i think i gave $89 a piece for both of mine. Mike

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve had good success with double bull blinds.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using double bull ground blinds for over 15 yrs. They are great for Antelope, just make sure you tie it down. Whatever you decide to use make sure that no part of the blind can move even with the slightest breeze, they hate any kind of movement or noise when they are approaching.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They work great for pronghorn. Just keep the rear closed so movement inside the blind is not back lighted in any way. Cookie uses an older pop up for her photo runs, and has had animals within 5 yards and some times so close even just the head would not fit into the frame. Suggest putting them in a couple days before and maybe out in the last third of ones effective range. Takes some time before they are willing to tuck in tight against something new on the landscape. Crittrgittr's comment about wind is on point. With Cookie's unit and wind, I think the game is more disturbed by noise than movement. Grass, shrubs, and trees all exhibit movement in the wind, and game is not in panic mode for the duration. I have used camo burlap, which moves a fair bit, but does not rattle like the tightly stretched nylon versions.

Another hint - with early morning and evening efforts, one seems almost invisible if he can simply sit in the shade of a juniper tree or some other natural structure. Move out into sunlight, however, and they'll be on to you like stink on a skunk. Also, if one can walk in and out in the dark, they don't seem to do well with the earliest of light. Cookie has often hit her blind in the dark and had animals bedded inside of 100 yds when the sun makes it up.

Good luck,
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 06/29/20.

1Minute
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Every hub-type blind I ever owned (1) or had experience with (several) broke. Before breaking, they were heavy and complicated -- everything I don't want. I bought 2 cheap Ameristep Doghouse blinds. That way I can put 2 together for when my kids hunt w/ me. They work great and haul ok, which is a requirement here. Never the slightest regret. I'll keep using them. 2 of these together is much better than one PITA hub blind. I don't need a camera crew when I hunt.

Warning -- if you don't practice shooting, including modifying/buying a seat that works for archery, you will be sorry. The chair is more important than the blind.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.