NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I worked with a guy long ago that had a .300 Win. Mag. made up for a Dall sheep hunt. It had a heavy 27 inch barrel and a big scope and weighed right at 12 pounds. He said it shot wonderfully. I don 't believe he ever got a sheep, but he tried hard and logged many a steep and wet mile on his hunt. We all be different and my high weight retaining Barnes X monos have always delivered, as did the Nosler Partitions.

I always thought a M1 Garrand made into a .35 Whelan would make a superb big bear gun, ain't like they ain't reliable. Just a bit heavy for my old butt. Might as well leave it so it can accept a bayonet just in case.

My M98 with 27" bbl weighs in about 11 lbs. Maybe a couple ounces more- I'd have to put it on the digital bathroom scale again to refresh memory. 1" groups at 300 ain't bad, but I'm not taking it sheep hunting if I ever go again, but it worked fine off the snow machine in Kotzebue for caribou for several years. I did take it caribou hunting last year off the Steese- but that was only a mile and a half hike, and maybe 1600 feet elevation climb. Not going this year tho. My "new" Mod 70 XTR in 7X57 gets the call, and the Win 94, and the 725 with fixt extractor (used as a single shot last year on those 40-mile caribou).

I'm a heathen, I guess. When Dave let me handle Big Nan, it was cool - but pretty much just another gun to me, history not-withstanding.

Nice gun.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Last time I used a Remington Custom Shop KS in 338 RUM, but that was for Mountain Grizzly, which can mean long range. When I go again, I'll take my Winchester Model 70 stainless synthetic in 375 H&H with its Docter 3-9x40 on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far my personal minimum is a 9x19

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 458Win

laugh

I'm sure it's not your best recommendation. wink

But, in that situation, sure beat bear spray...

I wonder how many could have pulled that off...

DF

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That's funny! laugh
At least you can say you have BTDT !!!!!

Arcus Venator
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

laugh

I'm sure it's not your best recommendation. wink

But, in that situation, sure beat bear spray...

I wonder how many could have pulled that off...

DF

Few, is my guess.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I missed the original story, Phil, but over time got the gist.

How many of that 9mm magazine did you use? And to reference old Ron the Drunk Comedian - How many did you plan to use? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
I missed the original story, Phil, but over time got the gist.

How many of that 9mm magazine did you use? And to reference old Ron the Drunk Comedian - How many did you plan to use? smile

I still had one round left in the 8 round magazine.
But it's not an event I recommend ! But relying on any handgun for bear protection is like wearing a life preserver in a boat or keeping a fire extinguisher in the home. You hope you never need them and they are a last ditch effort.

As soon as I could hear the bear huffing and charging through the brush I was wishing for my 458.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think DG guides like you, Phil, have experience based upon multiple encounters which leaves most of us shaking our heads. I know it does me. I want to ask what may be a couple of esoteric questions: first, when a large, apex predator comes a'calllin' at a high rate of speed do you recall if your vision tunnels and time has that slowing down experience? Second, I have never been charged by anything except a buck raccoon who got his just desserts while you have reported being charged on multiple occasions by bears. In the aftermath, I wonder if there is a momentary, crystalline recognition of the fragility of one's own life and how sweet and pure life is? In other words, most of us can figure out intellectually that being alive beats the alternative but I suspect a peak experience (albeit one you did not go looking for) like a determined bear charge must make it very clear in those moments afterward?

The way life should be.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LOLOLOLOL

That was mother nature’s version of the cardio stress test:
“Good news Mr. Shoemaker - your heart is quite strong”

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
These type threads are classic.

Pay most attention to the advice of those from down in America who have never seen a brown bear, but know what to shoot.

Same thing happens with Slope jobs around here.

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bluefish
I think DG guides like you, Phil, have experience based upon multiple encounters which leaves most of us shaking our heads. I know it does me. I want to ask what may be a couple of esoteric questions: first, when a large, apex predator comes a'calllin' at a high rate of speed do you recall if your vision tunnels and time has that slowing down experience? Second, I have never been charged by anything except a buck raccoon who got his just desserts while you have reported being charged on multiple occasions by bears. In the aftermath, I wonder if there is a momentary, crystalline recognition of the fragility of one's own life and how sweet and pure life is? In other words, most of us can figure out intellectually that being alive beats the alternative but I suspect a peak experience (albeit one you did not go looking for) like a determined bear charge must make it very clear in those moments afterward?

Events like that do tend to focus your attention and I still find it amazing how quickly thoughts pass through your mind. I guess that helps sort out your triage. I vividly remember thinking to keep track of the clients and not shoot if there was a chance of a pass through.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks, Phil.

The way life should be.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clydesdale

Pay most attention to the advice of those from down in America who have never seen a brown bear, but know what to shoot.

From two posters that have added absolutely NOTHING to the conversation.

Arcus Venator
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
My Grandfather killed a number of them in the 30s and 40s and swore by the 30-06 with 180s. I know a gent in Canada that like the 303 with 180s iirc and he had bagged several as well.

Personally? I’d be confident and comfortable with a 7-08 and 160s as a good solid minimum. My personal ideal choice would be my 308 with 180s @2700fps. I’d have zero hesitation with that combo for anything in N America

You don’t need a cannon...you need penetration and shot placement as with any game animal. You will not impress a 1000lb bear with any amount of ft/lbs. I base this off of the opinions of the masters...like Phil above and my experience on heavy game though no brown bears

Last edited by Quak; 07/02/20.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CRS

You don't read very well.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CRS

You don't read very well.

A good reader would notice his own virtue signaling.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thought it that or the pesky reading comprehension. 😉

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thought it that or the pesky reading comprehension. 😉

I comprehend the fact just fine, that you have added nothing to this thread. grin

Arcus Venator
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
598 members (007FJ, 160user, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.