Hop To
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
las you better not look up grin

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you put a blanket over your head does it turn into a quilt?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to hunt them with a .300 Win Mag

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GrizzlyKid
[quote=mainer_in_ak]

Says the guy that takes "stunt shots" at moose....

Says the guy with "stunted growth".

When I share a hunt story, take from it what you will. I guess we can all do that:

Anyhow, next time you're spotting caribou from the Denali highway, don't forget to take the safety off on the ole 300 saum.......

Least I knew where he was, rather than your stunts of frolicking around in the brush unsure where the hell your quarry was(after you took the shot).

Lastly, if a puny little cartridge rocks yah that bad, where you loose track of your game, drop down in caliber.

Like Elmer Keith once said: "I prefer to do my hunting before I do my shooting"

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/06/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike

I carried one for back-up for years... it works just fine.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by moosemike

I carried one for back-up for years... it works just fine.

Good to know because I don't like the bigger stuff anymore.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Last time I was goofing off with a recoil calculator I discovered my 9.3x62 and 286s loaded to modern pressures is right on par with the .300 win shooting 200s.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
minimum in my mind would be a 338win mag shooting a heavy for caliber Barnes TTSX or Nosler Partition. But if I was buying a new rifle for a coastal brown bear hunt it would be a 375 h&h mag. Sure a 30/06 or 30cal magnum will kill a bear, but if things go south, I want a round that will not only kill a bear, but stop it in the event of a charge. I often hear that you should bring a 270, 30/06, 300win mag, if thats what you shoot well, Im telling you you are going after an apex predator that weighs upwards of 1500 pounds, learn to shoot a rifle that is adeqaute for the job at hand. No, I have never hunted or seen a brown bear

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Aceman2101,

Thanks for repeating every cliche about shooting brown bears (or any other big, dangerous game), along with listing your experience.

Would also like to know how you know brown bears weigh "upwards of 1500 pounds."

Also would like to see YOUR list of rifles that will "stop it in the event of a charge."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never felt uncomfortable toting my .300 H&H around in big bear country, and certainly would have felt just as comfortable with a .270 Win or the like, even if I was actually hunting them.

I think I've only seen 10 or so coastal brown bears (NOT interior grizzlies: I've been around plenty of those), including one on Afognak that was a bit too close for comfort as he wanted my buddy's elk carcass more than we did.

Their toughness when shot I have no idea about, but concerning a charge they're nowhere near as aggressive as the interior bears (at least when not wounded), in my somewhat limited experience with them. I'd take Phil's advice and disregard everyone else's, if I were the OP.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You know before we had the internet and all it's unqualified experts we just had to listen to gun writers and make our own choice or trust our deer rifles and maybe some heavier bullets. Well damn I suppose half the well heeled here would have got recycled thru a bears ass*ole. What a relief we have the info highway as entertainment anyway. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted in brown bear country with a 243 more than any other rifle. Just have to keep your wits about you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I've hunted in brown bear country with a 243 more than any other rifle. Just have to keep your wits about you.

That's always your best defense!
Would be nice if adhered to on these threads also.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I have killed a lot of Kodiak deer with a Roberts and hunted with several guys using the 223.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win

There you go again! Expecting too much!

wink

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win

You've been part of way more brown bear harvests than me! I only have one. I hit mine in the back of the head with a 7mag. Only bear I ever killed but it never went an inch.

I deer hunt in the same area with a 243 and for some reason I feel safe. I walked up on a sleeping brown bear with my 243. I'm talking feet away. The wind in that area always blows a certain direction and it never knew I was there. I've been charged too, 20yds down to about 2 in a matter of a second. Had to wash those pants and I am not afraid to say it. Most of the time they run away

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've shot brown bears with 12 gauge, .375 H&H, and 9.3x62. I cannot tell the difference between the .375 and the 9.3 on them. I never intend to use a 12 ga. again! I used foster slugs, which was an utter disaster. Thankfully there was another guy with me using a .375 who really solved the problem. I've seen them sorted out with 12 ga. Brennekes, which would be the only shotgun load I'd consider even half suitable, but even then a proper rifle is the better option based on my experiences and observations. I do most of my deer hunting with the 9.3 just because it works so well on both bears and deer.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Little sensitive I see there Mainer....

Carry on

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GrizzlyKid
Little sensitive I see there Mainer....

Carry on

I'm just joshing yah, Josh.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I've shot brown bears with 12 gauge, .375 H&H, and 9.3x62. I cannot tell the difference between the .375 and the 9.3 on them. I never intend to use a 12 ga. again! I used foster slugs, which was an utter disaster. Thankfully there was another guy with me using a .375 who really solved the problem. I've seen them sorted out with 12 ga. Brennekes, which would be the only shotgun load I'd consider even half suitable, but even then a proper rifle is the better option based on my experiences and observations. I do most of my deer hunting with the 9.3 just because it works so well on both bears and deer.

FWIW, ol’ Klik on here posted some time back about a smallish brown bear he had to kill at their fish camp “summer cabin”. smile
He had poor performance from brennekes with one or more deforming badly. IIRC, finally had to use a “non-bear” cartridge as a finisher.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.