24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would put one my 2.5x16x42 bushnell 6500 scopes on it and be good from 30 yds to.......................

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by srwshooter
I would put one my 2.5x16x42 bushnell 6500 scopes on it and be good from 30 yds to.......................

Had one, sold it.

It's a good scope for the price.

IME, in dim light, it gets pretty dark as the powder is increased and the eyebox gets critical. If I was getting another, I'd probably check out the 50mm version. I don't like those big scopes in general, but think it may be better at higher power settings in low light than the 42mm.

At the lower power settings, pretty good scope.

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Never been moose hunting.

If I was to go, I'd probably take this Ed Brown Damara 300 WM with Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50. Great low light glass,

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That would certainly work!
Nice gun.
What does that weight all up, out of curiosity?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

If I was to go, I'd probably take this Ed Brown Damara 300 WM with Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50. Great low light glass,

DF

Nice gun.

Will need to weigh when I get home from the office. Damara is pretty light, Victory isn't the heaviest, but not the lightest.

Guessing mid 7's, less than 8..

Will post actual weight tonite.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

DF

Nice gun.

Will need to weigh when I get home from the office. Damara is pretty light, Victory isn't the heaviest, but not the lightest.

DF

That’s a darned nice set up at less than 8lbs DF! That’d make one excellent elk rifle as well.

Semper Fi
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Moose or mouse? I don't even have anything that goes past 9x for yotes, groundhogs, deer etc.

Are these miniature moose?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I pulled a once in a lifetime Maine non-resident bull moose tag this year. Unlike my Newfoundland moose hunts where I used a 338RUM and 4-16 optic, hunting in the Maine timber has me using a 45-70 levergun with a 1.5-5x33 Leupold with a Firedot duplex. Shots are expected to be under 100yds. My outfitter said that I don't need any optics at all. "Bulls can be called in quit close."

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs

DF

Nice gun.

DF

That’s a darned nice set up at less than 8lbs DF! That’d make one excellent elk rifle as well.

Actaul postal scale weight, all up is 8# 7 oz. It feels lighter than that, balances perfectly. The big scope is heavier than a Leupold, probably adds a few ounces.

The non-Damara is 6#'s +. So, I guess the mag version must be seven pounds and change.

It has a muzzle brake, which I don't care for. Ed said his light weight magnum rifles shot better with a brake. I've shot it with and without and he's right. It's the only rifle with a brake that I have. It came with a Jewell trigger, set up perfectly for the 3.6" full mag length box, throated accordingly.

As a card carrrying Loony, I always can find something on any new rifle that I can tweak. Not this one... Perfect in every way.

LAW bought Ed's 704 design and tooling. The 704 LAW rifles are about half Ed's price point. Good guns, just not quite what Ed made. BTW, it came with a match grade SS Shilen barrel and has Ed's proprietary metal finish. The stock is identical to a McM Hunter's Edge, but has Ed's proprietary paint job.

I was sorry to see him shut down his rifle line, but guess he decided to focus on his high end 1911's.

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the follow up DF.
I have eyed a couple of used examples online but never handled one. Appreciate the info!

OP- sorry for the sidetrack ... but it IS the optics forum! grin

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I took my northern BC moose (and an elk) in 2008 with a light tang Ruger M77 35 Whelen with a 2-7X Leupold VX-II. The shot was 250 yards. Assuming the hunt is still on I am heading back in September with a light M700 338-06 rebore with a 2.5-8X Vari-X-III for moose, elk and goat. Both combos well proven.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Out of those listed I would opt for the Zeiss.

I would probably sell a couple and get something with a lower bottom end and great class quality. A 1.7-10 Meopta R2 or one of the various Meopta, Swaro, Leupold, etc 1-6s would work well too.

What zone did you draw? Congrats on the tag.

A lower power than 2x? Better glass than the Zeiss?
Sorry, laughing.

You ever hunted Northern Maine timber?

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bowhunter7259

Where are you hunting?

I’m in Maine but would take the rifle out west as well.

So you’re headed for MI and WI?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I used a 3-9 ×40 Conquest #4 on my 375 Ruger Alaskan last year and will again this year. Ready up close, 35yds last year, 7 yds in 2009, but able if you have to take shot at a wounded one at 400yds.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

DF

Nice gun.

DF

Actaul postal scale weight, all up is 8# 7 oz. It feels lighter than that, balances perfectly. The big scope is heavier than a Leupold, probably adds a few ounces.

The non-Damara is 6#'s +. So, I guess the mag version must be seven pounds and change.

It has a muzzle brake, which I don't care for. Ed said his light weight magnum rifles shot better with a brake. I've shot it with and without and he's right. It's the only rifle with a brake that I have. It came with a Jewell trigger, set up perfectly for the 3.6" full mag length box, throated accordingly.

As a card carrrying Loony, I always can find something on any new rifle that I can tweak. Not this one... Perfect in every way.

LAW bought Ed's 704 design and tooling. The 704 LAW rifles are about half Ed's price point. Good guns, just not quite what Ed made. BTW, it came with a match grade SS Shilen barrel and has Ed's proprietary metal finish. The stock is identical to a McM Hunter's Edge, but has Ed's proprietary paint job.

I was sorry to see him shut down his rifle line, but guess he decided to focus on his high end 1911's.

DF

That sounds about darned on the money for a 300 magnum myself. Weight wise. And that action is pretty danged slick. I liked when the LAWs came back out but they weren’t really chambered and throated how I’d want one. The 3.6” mag on a 300 Win is darned nice. Makes it pretty versatile.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Nice gun.

DF

DF

That sounds about darned on the money for a 300 magnum myself. Weight wise. And that action is pretty danged slick. I liked when the LAWs came back out but they weren’t really chambered and throated how I’d want one. The 3.6” mag on a 300 Win is darned nice. Makes it pretty versatile.

Yeah, I was amazed at Ed's attention to detail. 3.6" mag and throated to match.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for the follow up DF.
I have eyed a couple of used examples online but never handled one. Appreciate the info!

OP- sorry for the sidetrack ... but it IS the optics forum! grin

Yep, about par for the Optics Forum... laugh

I bought this scope used. Retail price is kinda steep.

DF

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am always pushing 2-10 scopes when hunters ask.
It covers it all....From thick forest to open Fields.
I’m just waiting for someone to Make a 1-10 or maybe 1-12.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I would probably sell a couple and get something with a lower bottom end and great class quality. A 1.7-10 Meopta R2 or one of the various Meopta, Swaro, Leupold, etc 1-6s would work well too.

Sorry, laughing.

No, but have routinely hunted Alaska alder patches and old growth. Even trailed wounded brown bears through it with a 3x scope. Even shot them much too close.

And the point you are trying to make?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Sorry, laughing.

Thanks! I drew zone 9.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-accupoint-TR20

The green dot does fantastic against the dark hide of a moose in both open fields or dark timber. No batteries, adjustable fiber optic/tritium means no issues when miles from camp. Great lens clarity and handles rough treatment well. I use one for deer/moose/bear in zone 8.

It is not on your list of scopes, but since this is a pretty hard to get tag/hunt you might as well go as prepared as you can be!
Might have to take that longer shot, jumping out of the truck, on the last day of your trip. Some magnification power may help as those big boys can cover a clear cut pretty fast!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.