Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Did we not have a thread on electric chainsaws here a couple or three weeks ago? I have done a search and did not come up with it.

I need a little saw to put in my camper for cutting campfire wood, nothing big.

[Linked Image]
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For camping, they're almost ideal. Light weight, no gas to haul around, cut as well as a gas saw - cutting is dependent on the chain, not the motor. The only problem is recharging if you need more firewood than you anticipate. You need a generator, a solar panel with an inverter, or an inverter on your truck engine to 'gas' it up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they're almost ideal

I'll agree with the "almost", but it's not quite ideal.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/29/20.

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I used my 40 volt Husqvarna yesterday.It has a 14" bar and weighs 6 1/2 pounds.I was surprised at how well it cut.I used it for 2 1/2 hours and it was still cutting strong.I think no gas saw this size has the power this does.I bought it because my woods saws are really heavy and too much saw for smaller jobs.I am happy with it.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
I used my 40 volt Husqvarna yesterday.It has a 14" bar and weighs 6 1/2 pounds.I was surprised at how well it cut.I used it for 2 1/2 hours and it was still cutting strong.I think no gas saw this size has the power this does.I bought it because my woods saws are really heavy and too much saw for smaller jobs.I am happy with it.Huntz

I'm sure they are great. They only thing I can't wrap my head around is buying a replacement battery for $160. I've had too damn many battery tools needing too damn many replacement batteries.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
This is a good, high performance cordless saw that won't hit you in the wallet too hard. The price includes the battery and charger. I've worked one pretty hard for 3 years and the battery is still holding up.

One thing I would recommend is changing out the chain from a .043 gauge to a .050 gauge after you've worked it a bit. The first one will be a tight fit in the bar but it will wear itself in after a few seconds of run time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-16...ss-Battery-Chainsaw-CCS-58V4AH/313410741

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife bought me a 24V Kobalt drill and hammer drill for Christmas. So happens Lowes makes a 24V small chainsaw. So for the sake of the same battery I bought one last week for small branch trimming. Details aside it is JUNK. It is going back and I'll go down to local chainsaw shop and get a Stihl or Husquarvana. We just got from a weekend vacation, and that is a priority to get rid of that POS.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Terryk
My wife bought me a 24V Kobalt drill and hammer drill for Christmas. So happens Lowes makes a 24V small chainsaw. So for the sake of the same battery I bought one last week for small branch trimming. Details aside it is JUNK. It is going back and I'll go down to local chainsaw shop and get a Stihl or Husquarvana. We just got from a weekend vacation, and that is a priority to get rid of that POS.

i have the Kobalt 80V. It works great. It comes with an Oregon chain and bar. Since Kobalt is a Lowes store brand, the local store handles the warranty. Just take it in for warranty work and they'll hand you a new one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I thought about going that route and was enchanted by the reviews and YouTube videos.

I too, just can’t bite that hook. The price for one thing.

The thought of a battery pooping out after a year of only 15-20 uses or crapping out due to ‘non use’

Mehhhh....I already have a junk collection of dewalt and rigid dinosaur tools which, if I want to use need a $100 battery to get them going again.

Right now I’m in the Bosch family of 18v lithium ion toys.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I need one

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My daughter bought me a electric pole saw . Surprised me how good it cuts. My small generator on the atv works great

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've had a gas Echo chain saw for over 35 years, still works, but I don't need one but about every 5 years to trim branches. It would start but took a couple of hours to get it to run, (old gas, gummed carb, yada yada yada.)
Three years ago I bought an electric Echo, same bar length (16"). This thing is amazing, lighter than the gas, I think cuts better, and a lot quieter.
This spring we had a large multiple trunk oak tree fall across our two track hunting property, took the new say out with a full charge and cut that oak into lots of nice firewood, worked over two hours and it still was cutting. They say good for over 100 cuts, I believe it.
Since then I"ve bought the Echo leaf blower and string trimmer, uses the same battery. The blower is as good as a gas back pack blower and perfect for a home owner.
If your chainsaw needs are spread months or years apart, an electric model is ideal.

"The older I get, the better I was"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My 20V DeWalt does what it was made to do, 12" bar.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
My 20V DeWalt does what it was made to do, 12" bar.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The 20 Volt battery lasts longer than I do.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLI0VRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Easy to buy a new chain.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D230BNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been chewing on buying the Milwaukee for a little bit now. Looking for a deal, and then I'll probably jump.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a Makita 18vx2 ( Makita has a line of 36v tools that use 2 18v batteries) 14", I bought it as an option to my 20" Echo 590 to trim limbs. It is amazing what it will do and for how long.I bought a string trimmer when Makita gave you 2 bonus batteries for a total of 4 and just needed the tool only. The price was no cheaper than any 14-16" gas saw but I wanted something lite that I could carry in the truck for when a limb fell across my 2 track on the hunting property. I would buy another and BTW the straight shaft string trimmer is the best string trimmer I have owned to date.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have several Milwaukee M18 tools and wanted to get a couple 12ah batteries. Home Depot had the chainsaw , two 12ah batteries and a charger for $400. At that time it was like getting the saw and charger for free.
I've cut a few good sized ash trees but it's better used for trimming and smaller trees.
Two 12ah batteries cuts about enough for a small pickup load.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I borrowed one from my father in law, I was blown away, very impressed with the performance and I was a total skeptic.
I have now idea how long the batteries will last when not used on a regular basis, but I would have zero qualms with buying one for what you described.
He had purchased 2 extra battery’s, took a 30 inch tree down and cleaned up all limbs etc... with no hiccups. Half a days work like you would hope to with no problems.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
I borrowed one from my father in law, I was blown away, very impressed with the performance and I was a total skeptic.
I have now idea how long the batteries will last when not used on a regular basis, but I would have zero qualms with buying one for what you described.
He had purchased 2 extra battery’s, took a 30 inch tree down and cleaned up all limbs etc... with no hiccups. Half a days work like you would hope to with no problems.

Are you referring to the Stihl model?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 44 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.