Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Finally bought a wet tumbling system and not getting the results I wanted. Give me some tips. Looking for clean primer pockets and shiny brass. I'm using the pins that came with the tumbler and Dawn dish soap. Do I need smaller pins? I've heard about adding lemon juice to the water, does that help with shine? Does less water produce a better shine?

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Add a half teaspoon of Lemishine, that will make a big difference. Available at Wally World.

MAGA! This is the way!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like to use warm water a squirt of dawn and like javman said half a teaspoon of lemishing and I let it run for about 4hrs. Brass always comes out clean and looks like new.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lemi Shine not lemon juice.

Also, when wet tumbling watch for battering of the case mouths if you are not going to trim and make sure to get all the pins out of the brass. If any pins are left in a case they will chew up the bore when fired.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I eliminated the pins long ago as they were a PITA to get out of the cases and also lodged crosswise in the Primer pockets. I use hot water, Dawn & Lemi-shine, three hours tumble and dump out rinse and let air dry. Shiney brass, clean primer pockets and no hassling with the damn pins.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK, Lemi-shine is on the grocery list. I walnut tumble first, then size deprime, trim and deburr, then wet tumble. Cases usually sit for several weeks before I prime and throw powder. Should be plenty of time for them to dry and a stuck pin to fall out (but I'll give them a shake to make sure).

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Too much trouble.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep just a touch of the secret ingredient and they will be like new.

I did about 1100 pieces of 7.62 brass and when testing i found that about an hour was good enough.

This stuff had been setting outdoors for a while and had some type of gun lube on some of it.

When it came time to get the clean brass out i just picked up 2 pieces and tapped them on the side of the drum neck down and the pins came out.

There were a few in the wash tub i used but not more than 20 or so.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Do I get the powder or liquid??

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler with the 5 lbs of stainless pins that come with it. I use 1 tablespoon of Armor All Ultra Shine Wash & Wax and 1/4 teaspoon of powder Lemi-Shine. The picture below is some .223 brass I tumbled for 1-1/2 hours on Monday. The second picture is from a couple years ago when I was learning and it was tumbled with 1 tablespoon of Dawn and 1 tablespoon of Lemi-Shine. I recommend treading lightly with the Lemi-Shine. I made some "pink'ish" 280 brass a few years back with too much Lemi-Shine.

As a side note I did re-tumble the brass in the second picture last week and they cleaned up awesome.

I am going to tumble without pins next time per gunwizards experience. The pins are a PITA!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground

Genesis 1:28
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used the powdered stuff.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sisko
I use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler with the 5 lbs of stainless pins that come with it. I use 1 tablespoon of Armor All Ultra Shine Wash & Wax and 1/4 teaspoon of powder Lemi-Shine. The picture below is some .223 brass I tumbled for 1-1/2 hours on Monday. The second picture is from a couple years ago when I was learning and it was tumbled with 1 tablespoon of Dawn and 1 tablespoon of Lemi-Shine. I recommend treading lightly with the Lemi-Shine. I made some "pink'ish" 280 brass a few years back with too much Lemi-Shine.

As a side note I did re-tumble the brass in the second picture last week and they cleaned up awesome.

I am going to tumble without pins next time per gunwizards experience. The pins are a PITA!

That brass looks great. I like my brass clean as well. I get it that way tumbling in media mixed with Lyma tuff nut that has rouge in it.. Brass comes out very polished, like yours in your picture. I have no complaints.. I don't think I could do pins though, as I've received brass from guys that has been tumbled with pins and the brass still has stainless pins in it.. I can't imaging the damage that would do, if you sent one through your barrel.. Probably fu ck up a good shooting rifle that way..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by sisko

That brass looks great. I like my brass clean as well. I get it that way tumbling in media mixed with Lyma tuff nut that has rouge in it.. Brass comes out very polished, like yours in your picture. I have no complaints.. I don't think I could do pins though, as I've received brass from guys that has been tumbled with pins and the brass still has stainless pins in it.. I can't imaging the damage that would do, if you sent one through your barrel.. Probably fu ck up a good shooting rifle that way..

Yeah check this out.

Originally Posted by elkchsr
I hope the pins work out well for you. I’m convinced that stainless pins cost me a barrel. I was about 10 shots in to the second relay of the match and things went from pretty good to not being able to hit the paper. I think that I missed a pin or two that were stuck in a case and the gouge happened when I fired that round. It was a 38-55 green mountain barrel and the load was 42 grains of black powder under a 250 grain cast bullet. The damage was about 4” ahead of the chamber and was deep enough to pull fibers from a cleaning patch. The stainless media really got the cases clean, but I’m not going to chance it again.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use crushed walnut shells

Retarded,Rich,Famous
Hunting,Target Shooting,Women
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by johnt189
I use crushed walnut shells

Same here, with no abrasives or additives.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are wet tumbling and not getting the results you want, how much brass at a time are you tumbling? I’ve been reading reviews of people wet tumbling under 50 cases, most times less than 30 and it’s not fairing well, even when lemishine. When they up the capacity, they get great results. My next purchase for reloading is a wet tumbler, and I will have to get out of my habit of doing small batches of brass like I do when I dry tumble with corn cob.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Do I get the powder or liquid??

Get the powdered one won't need much. As sisko mentioned some oh his turning pinkish that is due to using too much Lemi Shine, too much citric acid.

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use dish soap, Lemi-shine, tumble about four hours. Beautiful shine!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudge
If you are wet tumbling and not getting the results you want, how much brass at a time are you tumbling? I’ve been reading reviews of people wet tumbling under 50 cases, most times less than 30 and it’s not fairing well, even when lemishine. When they up the capacity, they get great results. My next purchase for reloading is a wet tumbler, and I will have to get out of my habit of doing small batches of brass like I do when I dry tumble with corn cob.

My vibratory died recently and I got a wet tumbler. You are right, it works better with larger batches and it is a bit more of a PITA because instead of just dumping some cases in, waiting a few hours and fishing them out, you need to rinse and dry and dump the liquid so it lends itself to doing larger batches. Results are good though.
I also started out with the SS pins but my last batch just did Dawn and Lemi-shine and the results were good.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use the STM tumbling kit with their SS pins. I never had an issue with the pins and they seem to all easily fall free of the cases. However, for the guys who may have experienced an issue with pins there is a substitute product that is more like tiny SS stars. The little SS stars may do an even better job inside of small primer pockets and shouldn't get stuck in any cases.

Just a thought

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.