24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DF, I have a very similar G series M70 .375 H&H in my rack as well and often choose it. I do like the 4 rounds down in the magazine over the 3 in the Ruger.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 458Win
DF, I have a very similar G series M70 .375 H&H in my rack as well and often choose it. I do like the 4 rounds down in the magazine over the 3 in the Ruger.

Phil,

Which one has the slickest action?

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mikeinak
so on temporary hiatus to ft.irwin, due to some obligations to uncle sam, long story short i have plenty of time to dream about home and what i wanna pack when i do make it back. so heres my thoughts, ive used a m70 ewss in 300 wm and a ruger hawkeye alaskan in 375 ruger both with sucess, imo the rugers a better round and the m70 was a better rifle, in fact i really like 375s and leupold vx3i 2.5x8s, id like to get a stainless montana action, stainless 3 contour 24 inch kreiger barrel fluted brown precision kevlar poundr, necg sights sourdough style front, with a vx3i 2.5x8 in talley lw,s 375 wby or rum, with a generous length mag box, intended projectiles would be 250 grain ttsx or gmx, but perferably the 270 grain lrx, or perhaps one of the cutting edge options, if the mag box would tolerate it, metalwork would be done in a dark tungsten gray, with black in the flutes,with stock done in a dark forest green with speckles, hopefully hopefully 8.5 lbs scoped loaded slung ready to hunt.

Sounds like a nice build idea. Post some pics when it is done. Sounds a lot like my 338wm, sans the irons and color scheme...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer M70's over Rugers also. The only thing I would change is the Talley LW's and go with detachable mounts since you are putting iron sights on it.

I like Weaver style steel bases and Warne rings with QD screws and not levers. I just carry a wrench in my hunting pack. Talley's QD's work fantastic, but are too high for my liking. I do not like levers as they seem to catch stuff while out hunting.

My system is not a foolproof return to zero, but then I have never needed to remove a scope to use open sights in an actual hunting situation. The zero is never far off when I have tested it at the range.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Phil,

DF

The Ruger !

Once a Ruger is polished I think it's probably the quickest to operate. My MkII that Bill Atkinson rebarreled to 375H&H operated with a quick flick of the wrist as the bolt stop spring gives the bolt a little forward assist as you are chambering another round.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Phil,

DF

The Ruger !

Once a Ruger is polished I think it's probably the quickest to operate. My MkII that Bill Atkinson rebarreled to 375H&H operated with a quick flick of the wrist as the bolt stop spring gives the bolt a little forward assist as you are chambering another round.

Why did you go with the .375 H&H over the .375 Ruger?

Looking for you thought processes on that decision.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two of each ! A stainless M70 .375 H&H and the Ruger Mk II 375 H&H , and a standard Ruger Hawkeye 375 Ruger and a Sisk custom FN Mauser 375 Ruger.

All receive use by me, my guides and clients .

The Ruger MkII .375 H&H that Bill Atkinson built was a single prototype as Bill A was Bill Ruger's go to gunsmith and my rifle came out a few years before the 375 Ruger was developed.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I recently purchased a Ruger African grey laminate stock in SS without a muzzle brake in 375 Ruger. It has the wonderful Ruger open sights and barrel mounted sling swivels. I looked and waited a long time to find this rifle. I hope to one day take this rifle to Alaska. So far, I am very impressed with it.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Well, I'm alittle late to this conversation, but here is what I've got...... cool

Attached Images
LJ's_.375_Weatherby_DGR_Photos 001.jpg (58.41 KB, 1094 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Very nice.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
not alaskan but my favourite so far is my left handed 375 ruger stainless steel short barrel alask llc qd rings and a leupold vx3 2.5-8x36 with duplex that may become german 4 soon ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LJ-That may be the most practical rifle seen for Alaska use in a long while.
I have a pre-64 Model 70 in 375 H&H and owned an Al Bisen earlier Model 70
in 375 Weatherby. The strong action,375 Wthby cartridge, and SS combine
to cover the pragmatic bases. The 375 W case allows more room for powder & bullet choices
while using available brass.
Good choice across the board.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 375 Whelen AI (Mauser 98 action) and a 375 H&H AI (pre-64 Win). I like them both. The Win has a muzzle break and it's a mild kicker. The Mauser has a large and soft but pad and it's not hard to shoot too.

I'm not sure if there's many animals that require more than the Whelen AI version. But like I said, I like them both.

I built the 98 Mauser mainly for cast bullet shooting, but with proper jacketed bullets It does very well.

As far as Ruger 77's I've found that the stock comb is too low for me and the stock slaps my face upon firing. However, I restocked a 7mm RM mag Ruger and it works fine now. My 416 Ruger still has the original stock and it is fine also, but I don't have a scope on it and I can hold my face down to the comb.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/09/20.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
LJ-That may be the most practical rifle seen for Alaska use in a long while.
I have a pre-64 Model 70 in 375 H&H and owned an Al Bisen earlier Model 70
in 375 Weatherby. The strong action,375 Wthby cartridge, and SS combine
to cover the pragmatic bases. The 375 W case allows more room for powder & bullet choices
while using available brass.
Good choice across the board.

450Fuller,,,,, Thanks for the Kudo's,,,, the other part of the Equation is, .375 H&H Rounds still Function and Perform Great......
LJ cool

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Ruger Alaskan in 375, Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 shooting 250 grain Barnes TTSX's. It shoots great, I haven't killed anything with it but if I get back to New Foundland, that's what I'm taking.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sako76
I have a Ruger Alaskan in 375, Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 shooting 250 grain Barnes TTSX's. It shoots great, I haven't killed anything with it but if I get back to New Foundland, that's what I'm taking.

I’ve shot three bull moose with the exact same rifle, scope, bullet combination. It will work.

M
OP Offline
M
i actually oughtta buy a savage 30/06 and spend the saved money on better boots raingear and more huntin........but i like fancy rifles

we ride at dawn
M
OP Offline
M
well....after reading literally every single post in this forum pertaining to 375s...and gaining an awful lot of inspiration from mr dobrenski, dirt farmer and toads builds....i think ive settled on a recipe.. or shall i say recipes, 1st one is what i deep down feel is literally perfect.......second one is close enough to where i can take my time on the 1st.....so here goes pre 64 action that started out as an h&h, and its gotta have that lil dimple in the bolt knob, get her blueprinted, etc reciever coated in some kinda silvery/grey anti corrosive bolt in od green, lilja#3 with deep flutes finished at 23, chamber 375 wby throated for the 270 grain lrx at 3.7 while still retaining saami freebore, cerakote or whatever coating scheme same as action, sunny hill x-long high capacity stainless bottom metal, trigger set at a crisp 3lbs, brown poundr green with black speckles, necg backup sights, talley lw,s leupold vx3i 2.5x8x35.......now for the make do rifle, used but good shape stainless classic, chop it to 23, get factory barrel lathed down or fluted, reuse factory sights, have a weatherby reamer ran though it....bed factory stock, skip fancy bottom metal load to saami spec, slap small leupy and talleys on it call it good....alternate #2 find a pre muzzle brake ruger alaskan in a pawn shop leupy in stock rings, call it good enough for now.....also as suggested by memtb i think it was...ill just skip the rest of the centerfires....and shoot everything with the 375.....

we ride at dawn
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Look up Tia's rifle. Tia is Phil's daughter. She had a perfect 1 and done solution. Echol's 416 based on Model 70 but its not a model 70 anymore.

M
OP Offline
M
i have read about that.....and your right its a very nice rifle.

we ride at dawn
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 79 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.