Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Older home (1947) , 2 story home (3 including basement) on a conventional foundation. Basement measures close to that of a single car garage, ceiling is open to floor joist of 1st floor, 3 foot opening to remainder of 1st floor footprint. Home is approximate 2500 sq foot. Imagine a hole 12 deep 15x15 with the remainder of the crawl space 3 foot headroom for the remaining home footprint. 5 air vents 2 foot above ground level spaceD around perimeter of home. Home is rectangle shape.
This is a rental house, a nicer property with a cost basis of a tad better than 300k I am using to generate income for the foreseeable future.
Would like to be prudent while also maintaining the value of property.

1) how many exhaust fans would you use to “pull the air” through the space
2) would you place them on same side of house, or opposite sides
3) what size of motor would you have paired with your fan
4) if I am looking past or forgetting any other best practice for long term solution

I will appreciate any input, thank you.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Air conditioning will solve all your problems. The other methods will create new different problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One properly sized fan at the vent of your choice will pull air into the basement/crawlspace and exhaust it outside.
This only works if the air you're pulling in is dryer than the air in the basement.

Based on the dimensions you provided, a 400 cfm fan would provide one air change every 22 minutes.
A fan controlled by a humidistat wouldn't need to run 24/7.

Why do you think you need additional ventilation? Is there moisture damage evident?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
NV,
There was light mold when we purchased the home. We had the test run, and they were negative. ( this was expensive as hell)
Had the basement taken down to the studs washed cleaned and completely remodeled. I simply do not want a problem to manifest when I can control the environment the right way and prevent a problem that is preventable with a little investment.
This property could now be sold at a reasonable price of 475-500k and would like to maintain the value.
Thank you for your input.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Slow and steady wins the race?

One of the little 3x3" computer fans and a little 6-12v solar panel might do it.

If not one, try two..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Until you get your circulation issue resolved you might want to use Damp-Rid to keep the moisture out. It does work. Not for long term.

Home Depot has it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there is an available floor drain or sump a dehumidifier would also be an option. With that you could just set the desired humidity level.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Radon fan.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Slow and steady wins the race?

One of the little 3x3" computer fans and a little 6-12v solar panel might do it.

If not one, try two..

I really like this idea!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dehumidifier

I have a heavy old metal one at home.
It works fine .
I was going to buy a few for my former school, but was having trouble finding good reliability ratings.
Maybe a yard sale will turn one up. Test first.

PS: How did we take care of the moisture issue in the bottom two stories... basement indoor swimming pool and basketball court with balcony? It was comfortable year round since part of one floor was underground.
So we didn't need air conditioning.

We had a manual and thermostat controlled large exhaust fan. When classes were in session, we ran that and a floor fan during the summer. Humidity was not as much in the winter. Boiler/ radiator heat.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/29/20.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by NVhntr
If there is an available floor drain or sump a dehumidifier would also be an option. With that you could just set the desired humidity level.

You can get dehumidifiers with built in pumps that will lift the condensate up to about 16ft (?).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the space finished and living area? Conditioned space? Your HVAC should exchange and 'condition' air in that space, if it is not you need to modify it so that it does.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by NVhntr

This. I have AC in my home but the basement is always cooler and smells just "off". Running a dehumidifier into a floor drain moves the air and takes out the excess moisture. I set it for 60% humidity. YMMV

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.