Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm sorta in downsizing mode and dug this oddball out of the safe. It's a NRA Model 70 30-06 raffle prize from around 1997 or so. Barrel and box are both marked CLASSIC FEATHERWEIGHT, made in New Haven, 6 digit, very nice looking Fajen stock, inletted sling mounts, high polished blueing, and gold NRA markings on floor plate and muzzle end. Anyone else have/had one of these? If so, do you shoot it, sell/trade it, or stash it away for another day? I'm trying to decide what I want to do with this, it sorta looks like a Supergrade with some gold bling. Any idea what something like this - NIB, unfired, with all hang tags and manual, is worth?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think something like that would need an auction site for top dollar. I think low end would probably be $800 - $1000 ... High end might be significantly higher if you found the right bidders. That stock is very nice. No custom shop proof, correct?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've shot one just like it. Funny thing is I was watching it on gunbroker and almost bid on it. An acquaintance that I used to shoot with pulled it out of and started telling me about it and that he had just bought it off of gunbroker. I said, I was real close to buying it myself. He let me shoot it and it was very sweet. The rifle was chambered in 30-06 and it shot well. Easily 3/4" 3 shot groups. This was a few years ago, he paid $800.00 for it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
No custom shop proof, correct?

Would there be some sort of marking on the rifle if it came through the custom shop? The floorplate is marked "XXX of 650" with other NRA markings in gold. From my limited research, I think this was the NRA "Gun of the Year" back in '97, all 650 in 30-06. I've read that these maybe came from the custom shop, have also read that Winchester just sent all the parts in the white to Fajen and said knock yourself out. I dunno, will dig into it again.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Re CS; Yes; usually there would be an extra proof centered atop the barrel just forward of the junction with the receiver - so two in total.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872765652

There are two others on gunbroker starting at $1500.

The link begins significantly lower and should give you a good idea of its value at its final sale price.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Rifles are for shooting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pretty danged nice wood on it! Hope you get a fair price for it.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by mathman
Rifles are for shooting.

Please don't tell my wife that!

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Just one proof mark, right up top on the barrel just fwd of the receiver.

I was able to get some info today from the Browning/Winchester historian who actually was able to look up an invoice tied to the serial number....., this barreled action was sold to the NRA in March of '97 and shipped straight to Baron Technologies, a company that does all sorts of engraving and customizations for most firearms companies and for groups like the NRA (Baron Tech is in CT close to New Haven, historian said Winchester and Browning have been utilizing their services for many years). Baron Tech did all the polishing, blueing, and gold engraving/plating. From there, the action was sent to Fajen and fitted to the stock. All finished up and delivered to the NRA, it was a raffle prize at a Friends of NRA function.

This jives with the box label that says MODEL 70, BOLT ACTION CENTERFIRE B/A, Classic Featherweight Barreled Action, 30-06 Spfld., 22" Barrel

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So how does it shoot?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle. I have an original pre-64 Featherweight 30-06 that I have had for many years. Shoots MOA consistently.
Winchester should have continued these rifles with iron sights.
That would have been better money invested rather than the WSM series-calibers that were not needed or appreciated.
Now Remington looks to be acquired by the Navajo nation in AZ. Good for them.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was a local FONRA Chairman back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. That was indeed a banquet "Gun of the Year" - our banquet started up in 1996, so it could have been that early.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It is an oddball, but there is beauty in the eye of the beholder to a certain extent. I know the gold trim and NRA on the stock is sort of unappealing to some. At the price point I almost bought one for ($800), it would be tempting. At some of the prices you guys are quoting, not so much..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I reckon I'll just keep this one around, maybe even scope it/fire it one of these days! Hypothetical question....., would you trade this for a recent Extreme Weather 30-06 (Portugal made) if you had the chance?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wouldn't.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by clarkfork
I reckon I'll just keep this one around, maybe even scope it/fire it one of these days! Hypothetical question....., would you trade this for a recent Extreme Weather 30-06 (Portugal made) if you had the chance?

F no. I wouldn't . No chance in hell..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do we know how it shoots yet? grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Depends if I wanted/needed an all weather ‘06. Based on the sale price of the one nyrifleman linked, it would probably be an even trade or a trade in your favor (monetarily).

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

F no. I wouldn't . No chance in hell..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 25 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,277
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.