Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just came across some old photos....

July of 1982, me and a buddy hiked north across the Afram Plains, an area historically depopulated due to Ashanti slave raids. Seventy miles of roadless bush, then home to a remnant West African elephant population. This was at the top end, a town of 1,000 people who hadn't seen a White man in five years..

Skinny as a frickin' rail due to the food, climate and lifestyle.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Going on forty years later an actual road cuts along that route we took now, prob'ly not for the better frown

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You can tell how educated a person is just by a picture and that guy in the middle looks mighty stupid.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No worries, here I was 13 years later, towards the end of my Motorcycle Stud period cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks Birdie, old pictures are always neat. One of my hobbies is taking pictures of people, printing, framing, and giving it to them. After the years go by, they are priceless.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thanks Birdie, old pictures are always neat. One of my hobbies is taking pictures of people, printing, framing, and giving it to them. After the years go by, they are priceless.

Sir, it was your recent thread on this very topic that inspired me to post these smile Just found a box of old photos squirreled away in the house.

Here's another, could be ten years to the day from that Africa pic. Me introducing the Kid to shooting, he uses that same little Savage 24c to go shooting with his own kid now cool

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NPD

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You've been a nice guy for a long time Birdman.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool experiences Birdy

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
You've been a nice guy for a long time Birdman.

Naah... we do these things for ourselves, furthermore unlike yourself, I have never had occasion to put myself at risk rescuing anyone from foul play.

Check out this one; a group of students I took camping twenty-five frikkin' years ago.... smile My Ex was into photography at that time, hence the stellar composition, this one looks to me like it coulda come out of a high school movie. Because this is the "Fire, I gotta point out that every one of those kids was well-raised and polite, can't have problem kids on a camping trip.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
what a buncha ragamuffins!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice pics and memories Birdwatcher.

I was in that part of the world around the same time. Brazzaville, Congo, 1982-83.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I was in that part of the world around the same time. Brazzaville, Congo, 1982-83.

Back then the Congo and Gabon were known to be unpleasant places to be, in Ghana we had a ruined economy and a military coup and all, but Ghana was and prob'ly still is one of the friendlier and most laid back places in Africa, made all the difference.

Only was ever nervous once, that was on that same trip when a poacher coming the other way purposefully unshouldered his single-shot 12 gauge and broke it open like he was gonna load it, all the while looking at us, me and my buddy separated so as to present two targets, nothing was said, nothing came of it, we just continued on our separate ways.

This was from that same hike, a poacher's camp out in the bush we stayed at one night. That is a Greener 12 gauge built on a Martini-Henry action, they used black powder and reloaded brass shells, loaded with a single round lead ball. To hunt they went out at night using carbide lanterns to spotlight game.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
what a buncha ragamuffins!

Ya, that moody kid in the back really had the Kurt Cobhain thing going on, all the chicks dug him grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mike those are some cool pics for sure. I dont know if you remember me, but i met you at Ed's campout a few years ago. I was the one with all the grandkids. Next time you're on a bike trip and come through Texarkana stop in we always have an extra bed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Back then the Congo and Gabon were known to be unpleasant places to be, in Ghana we had a ruined economy and a military coup and all, but Ghana was and prob'ly still is one of the friendlier and most laid back places in Africa, made all the difference.

Only was ever nervous once, that was on that same trip when a poacher coming the other way purposefully unshouldered his single-shot 12 gauge and broke it open like he was gonna load it, all the while looking at us, me and my buddy separated so as to present two targets, nothing was said, nothing came of it, we just continued on our separate ways.

This was from that same hike, a poacher's camp out in the bush we stayed at one night. That is a Greener 12 gauge built on a Martini-Henry action, they used black powder and reloaded brass shells, loaded with a single round lead ball. To hunt they went out at night using carbide lanterns to spotlight game.

Fella on the left won the daily lotto and got the "girlfriend" for the night, eh?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cool pics!!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
As to the Piece Corps itself Birdie, do you think it was, and is worth the time, and money spent?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Just came across some old photos....

July of 1982, me and a buddy hiked north across the Afram Plains, an area historically depopulated due to Ashanti slave raids. Seventy miles of roadless bush, then home to a remnant West African elephant population. This was at the top end, a town of 1,000 people who hadn't seen a White man in five years..

Skinny as a frickin' rail due to the food, climate and lifestyle.

Going on forty years later an actual road cuts along that route we took now, prob'ly not for the better frown

Is that you on the left?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
As to the Piece Corps itself Birdie, do you think it was, and is worth the time, and money spent?

A childhood friend of mine joined the Bloods in Detroit when we were about 16, he dealt drugs and a host of other schit when they wanted him to start murdering he couldn't do it and the only way out of the Bloods gang is in a casket. My buddy got smart and joined the Peace Corps to get out of the country and escape the mayhem of the Bloods.

I haven't seen him since. The last time I saw him we were 18 and he was 6' 11" and built like a tree trunk.

He made some bad choices with the lure of easy money, hopefully they didn't get him.

I miss that guy he was awesome.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.