24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have not shot a big porker with a .257 Roberts, but have shot some Whitetail "hogs" with one. Fiddled around with several bullet weights and brands and made life simple by settling on 115 grain Nosler Partitions They are very accurate in my twin Ruger 77s and do not disappoint in taking Whitetails.

One rifle makes a political statement. "Black pads matter". crazy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by roundoak
Have not shot a big porker with a .257 Roberts, but have shot some Whitetail "hogs" with one. Fiddled around with several bullet weights and brands and made life simple by settling on 115 grain Nosler Partitions They are very accurate in my twin Ruger 77s and do not disappoint in taking Whitetails.

One rifle makes a political statement. "Black pads matter". crazy

grin

I'll take the red pad...

Equal opportunity... cool

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My granddaughter killed a 9'4" brownie using 117 gr Sierras in her "Bob" a couple years ago. She and my daughter happened upon him while deer hunting an she had her tag in her pocket. 1 shot low behind the shoulder another at base of skull. DRT.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
My granddaughter killed a 9'4" brownie using 117 gr Sierras in her "Bob" a couple years ago. She and my daughter happened upon him while deer hunting an she had her tag in her pocket. 1 shot low behind the shoulder another at base of skull. DRT.

now that is super neat to hear ! long live the 257 Roberts !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a .257 Bob as well in a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle. It has worked well for me. I've had several 25-06's over the years, but they are all gone.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by overmax
I have a .257 Bob as well in a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle.

I looked far and wide for one of those years ago. I finally gave up the search and had one built. Down the road, the factory MR stock was swapped out for a TI take-off which was an overall improvement.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by southtexas
Anyone else notice that the old Roberts, hand-loaded with 115-120 grain bullets (which is all that’s needed for deer/pigs a “normal” hunting ranges) is a ballistic twin to the vaunted 6.5CM.

That’s a great way to compare the old Bob

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The whole rifling-twist argument against the Roberts (and the .25-06,and .257 Weatherby) is interesting to me, partly because I've used both cartridges out to around 500 yards with 100-120 grain bullets to know they kill fine. In fact, before we knew 100-grain .25-caliber bullets were a lousy choice for 500-yard shooting, even when started at 3250-3550 fps, they somehow still worked every time I tried them in the field. Though perhaps that was partly because I never tried such shots in "real" wind--which in my experience tends to be erratic

Have also used the 6.5 Creedmoor (and other 6.5s) plenty with heavier, higher-BC bullets and it works great too...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The whole rifling-twist argument against the Roberts (and the .25-06,and .257 Weatherby) is interesting to me, partly because I've used both cartridges out to around 500 yards with 100-120 grain bullets to know they kill fine. In fact, before we knew 100-grain .25-caliber bullets were a lousy choice for 500-yard shooting, even when started at 3250-3550 fps, they somehow still worked every time I tried them in the field. Though perhaps that was partly because I never tried such shots in "real" wind--which in my experience tends to be erratic

Have also used the 6.5 Creedmoor (and other 6.5s) plenty with heavier, higher-BC bullets and it works great too...

yes i would agree when i built my 1st 257 Weatherbys 20 years ago Jerry Simmonson said how about a 1-10 twist i said sounds good and 100 grain Nosler Partitions i got for free and shot out of my Ohler chonograph at 3800 fps rifle shot great out 500 yards even killed a big buck antelope at a measured 600 yards on 1st shot with a bi-pod laying down. i still use that same type rifles with 1-10 twist 100 grain bullet works great on deer in Minnesota and out west,because of the speed of this type rifle i don`t need to mess around with a range finder very often. i just use the old saying hold high on meat on the 1st shot.

Last edited by pete53; 07/13/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Is it just me, or are hogs easy as hell to kill? Biggest one I ever killed was with a 223. Course I shot the poor bastard in the ear...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything’s easy to kill if you can hit the brain.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Is it just me, or are hogs easy as hell to kill? Biggest one I ever killed was with a 223. Course I shot the poor bastard in the ear...

Interesting question and I suppose the answer is, "It depends." Like he said, easy if you hit the brain. I generally try to sever the spine in the neck. That gives me a little leeway if the pig is moving or I'm wobbling. In my terrain, if they're not on the ground when hit, then within about twenty yards or so they're lost in palmettos or myrtle and scrub oak thickets. I shot one day before yesterday that wasn't really big (just under 160 lbs), but pretty old. His head and neck were obscured, so I took a shot through the shoulders, breaking both and undoubtedly wrecking his heart (no autopsy, but the path of the bullet pretty much assured it). When I hit him, he never hit the ground but ran about four yards before folding. The bullet went through a really thick shield before making it to the shoulders and heart, and kept on going out the other side.

But here's an opposite story, and if I didn't have my BIL with me to see it for himself I wouldn't believe it either. One day a few years back there was a small sounder of shoats moving along the brush line of a drainage. They all looked to be somewhere in the neighborhood of forty to forty-five pounds. They were trotting along at a slight angle to me, about thirty yards away, so I lined up on one and squeezed off a shot. I hit it a little too far back, and the 139-gr Interlock exited the off side, bulging a bunch innards from the exit wound. All the pigs disappeared into some scrub oak, and we picked our way along a very poor blood trail - another reason gut-shots suck. Now, this is the part that's hard to believe. About thirty yards from where the pig was hit was a pile of intestines, but no pig. We looked all over the place, trying to find blood (there was none to be found), looking in thickets as that's where wounded pigs generally go, listening for flies (they can find blood in minutes) - nothing: no pig nor any sign of a pig. It's as if something just grabbed it and carried it away. I'm sure he wasn't far away, but we couldn't find him. I was just amazed that he kept on going after having emptied his insides. Adrenaline, in man or beast, is an amazing thing.

So are pigs particularly tough? Like anything else, not if they're hit right. But unlike some animals, they're pretty resilient when not immediately put on the ground.

Just my $.02

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find that 100-200lb pigs die just like deer, when hit with a rifle. They often act like deer also, going on a blind death-run until they conk out. The bigger pigs often act differently, sometimes showing less sign of taking a hard hit. They will trot off, picking their way along their known trails, and eventually run out of steam. If you don't get a blood trail with a big pig, look up and down their beat-out game trails and you'll often find them.

Now with even more aplomb
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My custom Bob with the 110 gr. AB handloads has been knocking down Pronghorn since, well, forever.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Puddle
My custom Bob with the 110 gr. AB handloads has been knocking down Pronghorn since, well, forever.

That is one of my two most-used loads, 3163fps. The other is a 100g TTSX @ 3233fps. The AB has better downrange ballistics.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.