Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by VernAK
Anchorage 4th Avenue could use it for a homeless camp!

Spent a few days in Anchorage in February. It was pretty thick with derelicts. Fugg that, I'd head south if shelter challenged, Santa Cruz maybe! Montana is pretty tough on them too, thankfully.

Yeah, don't they die off in the winter time?

Only some...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Spent a few days in Anchorage in February. It was pretty thick with derelicts. Fugg that, I'd head south if shelter challenged, Santa Cruz maybe! Montana is pretty tough on them too, thankfully.

If only....

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 458Win
With a little ingenuity, any of the motels in Denali could rent it by the night !
Or the NPS could spend a million taxpayer dollars building an addition the the visitors center for it !

I was thru Denali headquarters tourist trap a few days ago.

Ghost town - allmclosed up - bring your "vacancy" sign to hang on the bus...

Don't quit your day job, either.

Last edited by las; 06/24/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Only some...

At one time, some of the street folk would crawl into a dumpster and snuggle in to keep warm. It was a good idea until
one got compacted.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Only some...

At one time, some of the street folk would crawl into a dumpster and snuggle in to keep warm. It was a good idea until
one got compacted.

Damn! Was looking for an apartment...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ironbender

If only....

Mostly snowbirds living the transient dream...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The state should put that bus on a big pull over on the Parks Hwy. and rent it out by the night to tourists. Hell make up a big wooden sign and say it may be haunted. I'm sure tourists would pay to sleep in it and post about it on all the knuckle head social medias out there. A "rent a can" would be a good idea and maybe a can of spam and pilot bread, but that's all it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The state should put that bus on a big pull over on the Parks Hwy. and rent it out by the night to tourists. Hell make up a big wooden sign and say it may be haunted. I'm sure tourists would pay to sleep in it and post about it on all the knuckle head social medias out there. A "rent a can" would be a good idea and maybe a can of spam and pilot bread, but that's all it!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

That's thinking outside the bus!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

That's thinking outside the bus!

You can say that again.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

There is a copy (another Fbx transit bus of same vintage) at the brew pub in Healy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hudge
My son is on orders at the moment with the Guard and talked to some of the crew that hauled it out. He said they told him it was more like a whore house inside of it then a bus someone died In.
that's true ...a fellow would hike there with these out of country chics to get laid...bouth the times she's about to nut ..u tell her your on a deadman bed ...hang on !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The only down side is now it can be made into a monument somewhere more idiot yuppies can go worship stupidity and selfishness. It out to be sent to the crusher.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johnt189
shame to see a landmark go

until you are a first responder and until you see the costs... but then again could let nature work and just refuse to respond....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by johnt189
shame to see a landmark go

until you are a first responder and until you see the costs... but then again could let nature work and just refuse to respond....

And then set some wolverine traps around their carcasses!

Like the Democrats....."never let a good crisis go to waste"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by Hudge
My son is on orders at the moment with the Guard and talked to some of the crew that hauled it out. He said they told him it was more like a whore house inside of it then a bus someone died In.
that's true ...a fellow would hike there with these out of country chics to get laid...bouth the times she's about to nut ..u tell her your on a deadman bed ...hang on !

Is 8 seconds a good ride?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am glad the bus was removed.
Kid was a dimwit, and he lost his life as a result.
He had people who loved him.
I am dismayed by the heartlessness of some replies.
My Christian values preclude me from making light of a deceased person.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Mine don't. Death is universal. How we achieve? it counts.

On this plane. .

Last edited by las; 07/17/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now they think it is Museum-worthy!?!?!?

Some worthy video at the site...

‘Into the Wild’ bus will likely end up at the UA Museum of the North
Bus 142 was lifted from Stampede Trail in June of 2020.
Bus 142 was lifted from Stampede Trail in June of 2020.(Alaska Department of Natural Resources)
By Cheyenne Mathews
Published: Jul. 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM AKDT|Updated: 1 hour ago
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - A bus removed from Stampede Trail by the state of Alaska in June may have a new home at the University of Alaska’s Museum of the North.

The bus is famous for its portrayal in Jon Krakauer’s novel “Into the Wild” as the setting where 24-year-old Chris McCandless died. The bus has captured the interest of many tourists and several died or were injured while trying to reach the bus.

The state had initially placed the bus in storage but released plans to negotiate placing Bus 142 with the UA Museum of the North on Thursday.

“Of the many expressions of interest in the bus, the proposal from the UA Museum of the North best met the conditions we at DNR had established to ensure this historical and cultural object will be preserved in a safe location where the public could experience it fully, yet safely and respectfully, and without the specter of profiteering,” Department of Natural Resources Commissioner Corri Feige said in a prepared statement.

The bus had initially been removed from its site near Healy because the DNR hoped to “reduce the risk of future tragedies.”

As recently as last summer, a woman from Belarus died on her way to the bus after she was swept away in a river. In 2010, another traveler died on their way to see the bus.

The bus was carried by an Alaska Army National Guard helicopter to an undisclosed location, and this is the first time DNR has released information about where the bus may end up.

The department said it has received dozens of proposals for the bus from various institutions and museums throughout Alaska and the United States but has ultimately decided to carry forward with a proposal from the UA Museum of the North.

The Director of the UA Museum of the North, Patrick Druckenmiller, sent a letter to DNR July 17 saying the organization would be the “appropriate repository for the bus.”

“As a unit of the University of Alaska, our museum supports the rights of free speech and academic freedom,” Druckenmiller wrote in the letter to DNR. “This is particularly relevant given the often strong and diverging reactions that the story of Bus 142 and Christopher McCandless represent to Alaskans.”

The decision was made with the expectation that any exhibition of the bus would enhance public safety, respect those who lost family in connection to the bus and reduce the financial burden on the state.

The proposal said the museum is considering placing the bus in a wooded area north of the building and posting interpretive signs for visitors to understand the history of the bus. This proposal means the bus would be publicly accessible and at no cost to visitors.

“I believe that giving Bus 142 a long-term home in Fairbanks at the UA Museum of the North can help preserve and tell the stories of all these people,” Feige said. “It can honor all of the lives and dreams, as well as the deaths and sorrows associated with the bus, and do so with respect and dignity.”

While the agreement is not finalized, Feige said the UA Museum of the North was an ideal candidate to hold the bus as it has experts that could restore and curate a display around the bus and would allow the department to continue owning the bus. This means DNR could also lend the bus out to be displayed in other locations.

Going forward, the two organizations will develop a memorandum on the expectations for the proposal. DNR expects a final agreement will be signed within the next several months.

The UA Museum of the North is located in Fairbanks as a research and teaching museum with 2.5 million artifacts and specimens in its collection, according to their website.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
" we at DNR had established to ensure this historical and cultural object will be preserved in a safe location where the public could experience it fully, yet safely and respectfully, and without the specter of profiteering,"

It's a fuggin piece of junk!

Last edited by las; 07/30/20.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (308ld, 338reddog, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.