-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a Bushnell 6x on my Tikka 223. I've got a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40mm with Ballistic Plex that I'm planning on putting on. the 223.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
The distance to target is more relative than the chambering IMO.

^^ This ^^

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 6X Leupold M8 on my 222. It works for me but 200 yards is as far as I ever shoot with that particular rifle. I couldn’t be happier with the setup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Higginez
I'd of called him stupid for using his rifle scope, of any power to spot critters.

That one aint about using your scope to spot critters as much as it is knowing your back stop and what's behind it.

That too, no doubt.
They're both dumb things to do but srwshooter never said there was or wasn't a safe background, just that his friend was trying to shoot a "groundhog" he'd "identified" through his low powered riflescope. There easily could have been a high bank to that creek that would have made the shot itself safe....assuming the target really was a groundhog.

It spooks me too to even read about such situations, even if the shot never happened.

That could be a major problem. I remember one time when a buddy and I went coyote calling and my buddy thought he saw a yote coming towards us. He was looking through his low powered rifle scope and after he fired, the doe jumped up and spun around and high tailed it out of there...
Originally Posted by srwshooter
friend was varmint hunting 20 years ago and was using a low powered scope on a 22-250. he kept seeing a ground hog setting up at 350-400yards and everytime he would get ready to shoot the hog would go back down and out of sight. after 15-20 min a guy stood up right where he had been watching what he thought was a groundhog,he had been seeing the back of the guys head raise up and down as he trout fished the stream behind the field, pretty much broke him using low powered scopes. get a higher powered scope and see what you are shooting at instead of what you think you see. yes I called him stupid a thousand times after that.

A lot of guys here are using low powered scopes on their 223's. Seems like a good idea, right?

Are you suggesting that in srwshooter's story, using a higher powered riflescope would have made everything all cheeky, safe and acceptable?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you don't know exactly what it is you're thinking about shooting at THEN DON'T SHOOT. Never mind the magnification.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't even look at something through your damn scope until you know exactly what it is.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a fixed 6x on both a ultralight .308 and a .257 Rbts. I have found they work well. Usually deer rifles but I have shot a couple of coyotes with them over the years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't even look at something through your damn scope until you know exactly what it is.

When shooting colony varmints, nobody is gonna have a spotter set up. Maybe binos. Maybe.

It’s just not practical and 95% of varmint hunters are using their scopes to ID targets and doing it safely without huge losses of human life regardless of what the fire might think.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

T Inman;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust all is more or less as it needs to be in your life and this finds you well.

While I know I've mentioned this previously many times, I've spent the last 31 springs teaching our provincial hunter safety course and over the 8 nights of class we absolutely, positively beat the students over their collective heads with that concept.

Honestly I personally believe that relatively good quality and inexpensive binoculars have been the leading contributor to lowering hunting accidents here in BC - as far as accidents where the target was misidentified.

Nowadays I carry a spare pair of binoculars in the pickup, but previous to that there were a couple of occasions where I was half way up the mountain, realized I'd forgotten my binos and I just turned around and went home to get them.

Here's a plea from north of the medicine line to one and all to always pack optics other than on your firearm, identify your target and what's beyond it. Thanks in advance.

All the best to you on the upcoming Fourth of July T Inman, I hope it's a good holiday weekend for you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a FFP 6-24 on my 223 and when I am out shooting whistle pigs in Oregon, S Idaho or Utah it stays on 6 power. I don't shoot at them beyond 400yds anyway. If you're shooting under 600yds then 6X should be very sufficient.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Fotis
Is this enough power for the 223 as a varmint gun?
What say you?

Fotis, for calling predators, yes. For buck toothed colony varmints, no.

This is my take exactly.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When shooting colony varmints, nobody is gonna have a spotter set up. Maybe binos. Maybe.

It’s just not practical and 95% of varmint hunters are using their scopes to ID targets and doing it safely without huge losses of human life regardless of what the fire might think.

I don't care if it is practicle or not. A person doesn't necessarily need optics to 100% ID something they're looking at. Prairie dog colonies often fit this scenario. So can other critters. The groundhog story above wasn't one of those sitations, for whatever reason. Bad eyesight, inexperience, unfamiliar terrain, whatever.

Apologies to the OP for getting off topic.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Heavens no. You need at least 40x with an objective bell no smaller than 60mm, gathers a lot more light, you know, so you can shoot PDs in the dark, oh, and elevation turrets the size of baby food jars.

Note: The rings need 4 screws per side (total of 16) for that heavy recoil, and if the barrel twist is slower than 1 turn every 4 inches, chuck it in the dumpster with the other scrap metal.

grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

I don't care if it is practicle or not. A person doesn't necessarily need optics to 100% ID something they're looking at. Prairie dog colonies often fit this scenario. So can other critters. The groundhog story above wasn't one of those sitations, for whatever reason. Bad eyesight, inexperience, unfamiliar terrain, whatever.

Apologies to the OP for getting off topic.

Positive target ID is a basic tenet for all shooters as is being sure of your fore and background. I always scan the area w/ binos when picking a stand and then again with a 6x rangefinder. You have to know where even a ricochet can end up. Using your scope as a spotter has been discussed here previously and several folks have glassed up someone looking at them through a scope. The scope is an aiming device, not a spotter. Does anyone hunt w/out binos or a spotter?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

69 members (bcraig, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 12 invisible), 1,044 guests, and 723 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,488
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.