Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I just received a scope that I purchased used and the lenses are extremely dirty. What do you all recommend for “cleaning” without damaging the coating????
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One too many hobbies....
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I'd take soft bristle brush and dust the lens while applying a little air. After that I'd use good ol soap and water! Ive cleaned mine this way many times.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Highoctane

I'd take soft bristle brush and dust the lens while applying a little air. After that I'd use good ol soap and water! Ive cleaned mine this way many times.

I'd use the brush first for sure, then good old fashioned Windex and a COTTON cloth...no paper products!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would stay away from canned air. Brush and a micro fiber cloth. I like a mild soap or Invisible Glass that is used for autos.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This is just my opinion, but I'd use the kitchen faucet first to flush/float that crud off. Just a modest flow of water and shake it off, then once more again, then finish with a lens wipe.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Compressed air from one of those office cans to get the dust from the edges of the glass. Warm tap water via the faucet. A drop of dish soap. Move around with clean finger. Rinse all soap off very throughly. Wipe with microfiber lense cloth to dry.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by woods_walker
This is just my opinion, but I'd use the kitchen faucet first to flush/float that crud off. Just a modest flow of water and shake it off, then once more again, then finish with a lens wipe.

I’ve had a similar issue and did just this. Warm water, mild flow.

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
When I recently picked up a new pair of prescription glasses from Lens Crafters, that is exactly what the rep told me to do to clean the lenses.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Covesjeep: I have several air bulb lense brushes and I would get one use it from above the lense surface and air puff the big pieces off of the lenses.
Then obtain real "lense tissue" (I am almost out of my beloved "Kodak" lense tissues!) and use some Zeiss lense cleaning solution (sparingly on the first cleansing. Then using very little Zeiss solution and a clean lense tissue clean the lense again - repeat for other lense.
I use this method on all new to me used Rifle scopes and spotting scope lenses.
Good luck with the new scope - it is obvious the previous owner did not use lense protection caps.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Amazing how lens coatings have become so tender over the past few decades--compared to back when they were actually were kinda soft.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dishwasher has worked well for me. Rinse aid helps.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I normally use a soft brush/air but I would start with some running water on that one

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JJF
When I recently picked up a new pair of prescription glasses from Lens Crafters, that is exactly what the rep told me to do to clean the lenses.

People saying use a brush first ? yeah - that's how I always cleaned my new cars too - brush off the dirt then wash it .

Soak the lens in warm water with a mild hand/face soap lightly wash away the dirt with the microfiber cloth , then dry the lens lightly with microfiber cloth . Skip the brush and cotton .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The last scope cleaning kit i'd use would be the leupold lens pen BS .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Amazing how lens coatings have become so tender over the past few decades--compared to back when they were actually were kinda soft.

It has long been established that lenses are the most delicate objects in all the universe. There is but one true way to clean them properly, but it has been lost over the ages. The only thing to do when lenses become dirty (as when a dust mote settles on one) is to replace the scope.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Isopropyl alcohol. Nothing better.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The pictures in the OP appear to be of damage to the coating due to water droplets left on the lens. Water can damage some coatings if left on the lens for a long time. Much as I hate to agree with anyone from Katy :-), isopropyl alcohol is the best solution to clean lenses using a lens tissue paper and then wiping with a clean microfiber cloth. If there is dust or grime on the lens, a little bulb blower thing is a great thing to use first to remove the stuff.

Now, don't panic and be afraid of rain or water or anything. Just don't put away the riflescope wet.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A lot depends on whether you have time to remove from rifle... but distilled water in a spray bottle, a weak solution of cascade dishwasher soap in a spray bottle, 1/2" sable paint brush, and rinse with same distilled water, then air dry.

Phil

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I should have added that I seriously doubt the spots on the lenses can be removed.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Maybe covejeepsxj should check in and give us an update?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
751 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 87 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.