Hop To
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/full-buck-moon-lunar-eclipse-will-occur-on-july-4

LOS ANGELES - Fireworks are not the only spectacle in store for sky-gazers this Fourth of July.

U.S. residents reveling in Independence Day festivities will get a prime-time view of a penumbral lunar eclipse that is expected to take over the night sky starting at 11:04 p.m. EDT (8:04 p.m. PDT) on July 4 and end at 1:56 a.m. EDT on July 5 (10:56 p.m. PDT on July 4), according to Almanac.com.

The eclipse will be brought on by what’s commonly known as the “Full Buck Moon,” and will be visible from most of North America, except the northernmost regions of Canada and Alaska.

While the celestial showcase is certainly something to look forward to, experts say this specific type of eclipse is bit harder to notice.

According to Earthsky.org, there are three kinds of lunar eclipses: a total eclipse, a partial eclipse and a penumbral eclipse.

“This third kind of lunar eclipse [penumbral] is much more subtle, and much more difficult to observe, than either a total or partial eclipse of the moon,” the website explained. “Then again… very observant people will notice something strange happening on the moon, even while not knowing an eclipse is taking place.”

The website writes that in a penumbral lunar eclipse, the Moon doesn't go into the Earth's main darker umbra shadow, making this eclipse in particular, harder to observe.

The Old Farmer’s Almanac says that July’s full moon is called the “Buck Moon,” marking the time of year that wild bucks’ antlers are fully grown, according to Native American folklore.

The July full moon is also known as the “Thunder Moon,” due to the frequency of thunderstorms during the season, according to the Almanac.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never heard this, will look if the sky is clear

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No bucks about it.
It will be fun

Not that we need a full moon on a holiday to bring extra crazies out..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i oughtta be jest aboot schit faced enough by 1104 to appreciate a hearty penumbral eclipse.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shortchanged again.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am calling "fake news".

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Shortchanged again.

Yep. It won't get dark here at 55* N Lat until well after midnight. And even if it did, the the weather is likely to be too schitty to see past the clouds and fog beyond 500ft altitude.

We'll just have to be content with our annual fireworks display and colorful mishap.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I'm thinking the bucks horns wont be through with growing by July 4th, or there will not be many big racks this season.
I did see a real good sized rack about a week ago. Well past the ears already with a lot of decent length points on the beams.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 260madman, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,379
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.