Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WAM
I. Thou shalt be in shape, for elk dwelleth not in the flatlands, nor where there is oxygen.

II. If thine ass resembleth 20 pounds of chewed bubble gum, bitter shall be thy lot.

IV. Thou shalt not stuff thy pack with all manner of goods. Thou needst it not, and it shall do naught but rob thee of thy breath and turn thy knees to Jello.

1. Working on it, from the people I’ve talked to flat land won’t be much of an issue where we’re going.

2. Not bubble gum

4. Agreed, that’s why I asked people who have a better idea of what I need to carry.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Take an extra pair of boots and some camp shoes. You'll need dry boots at some point and camp shoes give your feet a rest after the hunt.
If it's a drop camp they should have cot pads, if not get a air pad for your cot.
Don't put your wet boots too close to the stove to dry.
Make sure your long johns are wool , merino.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
https://rockymountainhiker.wordpres...e-west-elk-mountains-day-1-july-16-2015/

Bearcat 74 Some photos of your hunt area in Unit 54 West Elk Wilderness & Soap Creek Basin area to give you an idea of terrain. Photo Credit: rocky mountain hiker This is from July 2015. Scroll down after reading the blog and the photos can be viewed as in a slide show. This is summer, the fall is beautiful with autumn colors.

Lots of good advice from seasoned elk hunters, good luck on your elk hunt. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 06/30/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hungry Horse

Bearcat 74 Some photos of your hunt area in Unit 54 West Elk Wilderness & Soap Creek Basin area to give you an idea of terrain. Photo Credit: rocky mountain hiker This is from July 2015. Scroll down after reading the blog and the photos can be viewed as in a slide show. This is summer, the fall is beautiful with autumn colors.

Thanks

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voX1mt47btg

Bearcat74 A You tube video from 2010 with Tenderfoot Outfitters from the Swampy Pass trailhead into the West Elk Wilderness by 3Darren311. This would be the n/e corner of Unit 54 . If you do a search on You tube you will find many videos of Ohio Pass Kebler Pass and a few hunt videos from years past. The success you see here is from the past years and is not the same in today's hunts. You should be able to find a lot of older threads with elk hunting information on hunting Unit 54 Unit 53 Unit 521 all in this general West Elk hunt area from along Ohio Pass, Kebler Pass, Rainbow Lake, FR 709 access points on 24 Hour campfire searches. HH

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
http://www.eaglemountainoutfitters.com/about-the-hunt.html

Bearcat: 70% shot opportunity and 40% hunter success of those shooting is pretty good. Looks like the access road could be challenging. FR 721 is also to Soap Creek campgrounds I believe. Enjoy and good luck ! HH

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by HitnRun

It would take a lot of NOT eating to starve on MRE’s. Maybe you forgot to take the meals out of the packs and eat them.

It was because of the taste.Probably would not have varied much if we ate the bag instead

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
http://www.eaglemountainoutfitters.com/about-the-hunt.html

Bearcat: 70% shot opportunity and 40% hunter success of those shooting is pretty good. Looks like the access road could be challenging. FR 721 is also to Soap Creek campgrounds I believe. Enjoy and good luck ! HH

I think that may be an older number. Sounds like there was a reduction of elk in the area?

http://www.wapititalk.com/Hunting/viewtopic.php?t=9576

The access road does sound adventurous and I have a hatred for horses so the ride in will be a challenging, lol.

It will be tough but I think I will really enjoy it. I’d just like a crack at a legal bull.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bearcat: Thank you ...a great thread for those who may think of hunting Unit 54, as well as Unit 53 and 521. I never registered on wapiti talk but had been on it a few times. Glad to see saddlesore is a contributor on there, as he speaks the truth on elk hunting Unit 54 area.
I have been there on Ohio pass Kebler pass roads right before 1st rifle elk season before... but was just scouting that year and did not have a tag. It is a beautiful area and also very rugged. . Met a few hunters from Arkansas who has been fairly successful 50% of the time over the 5 years they had hunted there. That is 15 years ago though. Have fun with Eagle Mountain Outfitters...wishing you success and a great time ! HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 06/30/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have run into a lot of guys that killed elk in a nasty place and didn't have way to figured out on how to get it out . They come into my camp every year begging me to pack it out on my mules. In later seasons it is not as bad , but in early season,you just might have meat spoilage before you get it all out. Have a plan on how you will get it out before you even go hunting. At times,it is wiser to put the safety back on on let the elk walk.

Totally agree with saddlesore, though I know his comment was a response to me saying to kill the elk then figure out how to get it out.

You absolutely need a plan to be able to get the elk out (unless the outfit that’s coming to get you will retrieve it, a good question to ask beforehand).

My plan is to kill it, then quarter it. Hang it if able, or put it somewhere cool and shaded 100%. First trip out is my loaded pack and a hind quarter unless I physically can’t carry it all. Mystery Ranch has a great system to haul quarters. This first load out is probably the worst. If pitch black night I might carry a front+backstrap instead.

Then it’s 3 more trips. 2x front+backstrap, and 1 more hind. Head if you’re taking it.

A buddy to help is a great thing!

My comment to not worry about where the elk dies is don’t avoid the work waiting for an easy elk. None of them are easy and the pack out is generally not a party. Enjoyable misery.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 06/30/20.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=Bearcat74

I think that may be an older number. Sounds like there was a reduction of elk in the area?

The access road does sound adventurous and I have a hatred for horses so the ride in will be a challenging, lol.
It will be tough but I think I will really enjoy it. I’d just like a crack at a legal bull. [/quote]

I will say that in 2018 I killed a decent 6 x bull in 54 and a rag horn the year before. In 2019, I missed a decent bull opening day, but it was way high in the rocks.It took me an hour and a half to climb to check out that I did indeed miss it.No doubt from the steep upward angle and I shot under him. Good thing to as it started to snow Saturday night and continued for 3 days.We stayed in our campers all that time.From reports of guys finally making it out,I would have never been able to get to the bull again to pack it out.Even without the snow it would have taken me a good three days,probably four, to get the meat down to where I could get the mules too. I didn't take my own advice of putting the safety back on. The elk are building back up,but they do come hard and head for private ground on the east side right away.

Just to get you thinking, here is the 2018 bull. The one I missed last year was about 800 feet higher up the same mountain to the right.The raghorn the year before was in the pines , in a straight line directly behind the the elk's antlers about 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/30/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Bearcat: Thank you ...a great thread for those who may think of hunting Unit 54, as well as Unit 53 and 521. I never registered on wapiti talk but had been on it a few times. Glad to see saddlesore is a contributor on there, as he speaks the truth on elk hunting Unit 54 area.
I have been there on Ohio pass Kebler pass roads right before 1st rifle elk season before... but was just scouting that year and did not have a tag. It is a beautiful area and also very rugged. . Met a few hunters from Arkansas who has been fairly successful 50% of the time over the 5 years they had hunted there. That is 15 years ago though. Have fun with Eagle Mountain Outfitters...wishing you success and a great time ! HH

Thanks a lot. I’ve enjoyed the thread and I appreciate the advice and support from everyone.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

It will be tough but I think I will really enjoy it. I’d just like a crack at a legal bull.

I will say that in 2018 I killed a decent 6 x bull in 54 and a rag horn the year before. In 2019, I missed a decent bull opening day, but it was way high in the rocks.It took me an hour and a half to climb to check out that I did indeed miss it.No doubt from the steep upward angle and I shot under him. Good thing to as it started to snow Saturday night and continued for 3 days.We stayed in our campers all that time.From reports of guys finally making it out,I would have never been able to get to the bull again to pack it out.Even without the snow it would have taken me a good three days,probably four, to get the meat down to where I could get the mules too. I didn't take my own advice of putting the safety back on. The elk are building back up,but they do come hard and head for private ground on the east side right away.
Here is the 2018 bull. The miss last year was bout 800 feet higher up the same mountain to the right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I’d float back to TN if I killed a bull like that. That’s a dandy.

Stupid question, what is considered a legal bull?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Legal bull is 4 points on a side or 3 with a 6" brow tine on at least one side. If you can see branched antlers ,it is almost certain, it will have a 6" brow tine.
Here is one I killed in the same area that just barely made it legal.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/30/20.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Legal bull is 4 points on a side or 3 with a 6" brow tine on at least one side. If you can see branched antlers ,it is almost certain, it will have a 6" brow tine.
Here is one I killed in the same area that just barely made it legal.

I’d take that one in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the answer.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Being physically in shape is important, but I believe being mentally prepared for the hunt is equally so, if not more.

I've seen lots of people in seemingly good shape turn around and go back to the pickup, because they didn't want an elk badly enough: though they thought that they did beforehand.
I've also seen a fair number of bigger guys make it to the elk, because they wanted to, badly enough. Throw in the nasty weather, altitude sickness and whatever else....and you'll find out if you want an elk bad enough.

This. No one would mistake me for a fitness guru...but I tag bulls on public lands pretty regularly because I simply want it more than most. I get up earlier, go further, stay later, and generally hunt “harder” than most everyone around me. Its an imperfect approach, but it pays off over the long haul pretty well.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love these elk threads......once you are physically and mentally prepared, everything else is easier. Use the other camps and hunters in your area to your advantage. I like hunting saddles, knobs, groups of knobs, benches and stay in the upper 1/3 of the general elevation during the day. Your binos will save you a bunch of walking! Be patient, as I am not! Good luck on your hunts! Killing an elk is only icing on the cake.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Bearcat I just realized on 7/2/20 that this blog from the hiker is 4 days of hiking into the West Elk Wilderness, see the previous next on the upper right side of his page, click next, and you will see days 2,3,and 4 of his hike with extensive photos. I have looked for 20 years for information like this to view. Enjoy HH

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Bearcat I just realized on 7/2/20 that this blog from the hiker is 4 days of hiking into the West Elk Wilderness, see the previous next on the upper right side of his page, click next, and you will see days 2,3,and 4 of his hike with extensive photos. I have looked for 20 years for information like this to view. Enjoy HH

I didn’t pay any attention to the next few additions, thanks for the info. I’m going to print these off and put in my notebook.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Chrono’d the load I’m taking from my 708.

140 Accubond
H4350 - 48.5grs
2802fps
ES - 12
SD - 6

6 rounds - .8” @ 112yds

It’s about 3000 degrees so I’m going to give it until this evening and shoot/chrono again.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1badf350, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.