Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm trying to find a reasonable model 19 NRA Match, with the mannlicher stock. There's an affordable one on GB now but it has some extra dovetail cut into the back end of the receiver..not good.

I have a 14-year-old nephew who's become fascinated with WWII militaria. I thought any trainer with tangent sights would be fun (CZ 452), but he's probably more fascinated by the M1 look, and an 87M is not in the budget.

Anyway, I'm looking for one on the "affordable" end, not "collectible" end.

Thanks, Jeff

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I wish I were close by. I would let him take a turn on my M2 Springfield .22, and put the worm ear in him to start saving his nickels for a real U.S. .22 training rifle.

If a 19-33 NRA target gun has appeal, I have one that can be had.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/30/20.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jeff
I have one with the manlicher stock, been sitting here for years let me track iot down and get you some pictures. I also have one of the heavy target barreled rifles the later version with a butchered stock if that may click his trigger? What is the best way to get you picts?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Was easier to find than I thought. SN 5650 could be 1922 model? Stock look like added varnish, no magazine (not easy to find original at a good price) rear sight missing a few parts someone here probably has them or this sight could be altered adding another to the base.
There is an article in a winchester 52 book I had arround here comparing these to the early 52 training rifle said super accurate could have also said the 52 was modeled after tis one? You know how memories work.
Dual firing pin set up
Could be a treasure for the boy?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15010930#Post15010930

Last edited by ctw; 06/30/20.

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice looking gun. Include him in the fixing up, and he'll have a good sense of ownership and some good memories. Good for you!

Good luck on that magazine. Tough one to find. My NRA 19 has one that's been bubba'd up.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Well! Thanks for the generous replies of offers Gentlemen!! Chris that rifle looks to me like just the ticket! I would definitely involve him in the rear sight rebuild, as that was one of his conditions, "no, scope, those'r just for old men..."! I don't need a "correct" magazine, if I can get something else to work. Will 23A magazines work in these? Somewhere I saw a photo of a magazine that said "fits NRA and 23A

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
if any body has a mag. for one my nephew will pay niceley for it for his granddads rifle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The front sight is a Lyman that has two posts, one is just a post and the other is a ring, the small screw you see on the right side is used to change them by turning it 90°. I have one somewhere but not to be found now, was going to check the height, my concern would be it's to low for the original rear sight... if you find the parts to fix it.

All the 5 shot magazines use the same case design but they do vary and some will not feed in some rifles, this is more of a problem with early guns and early magazines - and that is an early rifle. Savage had a sheet that went with early replacement magazines showing how to fit them to a rifle so they all should be able to be made to work.

The earliest magazines were not marked with a model and were marked 22 S, L & LR along with the Savage info, then there is one marked 'SAVAGE SPORTER' on one side and has the Savage info on the other with '22 LONG RIFLE', the last version was marked for the 23A SPORTER OR NRA MATCH RIFLE.

Doing a quick search of closed auctions on eBay at least 14 of these magazines (factory) have sold in the last 90 days and a few others were listed that did not sell (way over priced), there also always seems to be a few showing up on GunBroker. There always seems to be some listed for sale somewhere.

Attached Images
Savage 5 shot magazines 001x.JPG (35.38 KB, 102 downloads)
Savage 5 shot magazines 002x.JPG (33.23 KB, 103 downloads)
Savage 5 shot magazines 004x.JPG (23.89 KB, 102 downloads)

Gene
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 19 that's a match to ctws. The rear sights are very delicate and frankly, not very good. I set mine years ago and I hardly even touch it. The windage knob rides against a small and dainty leaf spring that is very easy to break. My best advice for use with a 14 year old would be to find a Lyman and mount it if you don't mind drilling a couple holes in the side of the receiver. The Lymans pop up more often that the No. 5 sights that Savage put on the 19 and they are a much better sight.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Slightly bubba'd, but good for shooting. It doesn't seem uncommon to see the early mags with the original knob replaced.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
well, Thanks AGAIN! Yea, I was shocked by the $150-$175 starting bids... What about the 7-round after-market mags? There seems to be another 7-rd-er that's CNC milled just coming on the market by "CSspecs"

JeffG
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Tell me something more about the "dual firing pins"!! Is that a concession to crap ammunition ignition, or better lock-times for hind-leg target work. I never heard of that on any other 22 rimfire.

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Pretty sure it was to guarantee uniform ignition with early .22 rimfire ammo in which the priming compound wasn't dispersed uniformly inside the rim.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffG
well, Thanks AGAIN! Yea, I was shocked by the $150-$175 starting bids... What about the 7-round after-market mags? There seems to be another 7-rd-er that's CNC milled just coming on the market by "CSspecs"
Those are the ones that didn't sell, the others were from $49.99 to about $100, some will slip by for even less. I have some of the Triple-K aftermarket magazines and find they do not feed very well, they still are $40 or more now. The Savage 7 round magazine for the pumps can be modified to fit the bolt guns, but they can be pricey to, usually more than the 5 shot.

The dual firing pin was for reliable ignition but the combined surface indented by it is actually less than some of the single firing pins of the day. The cases back then were usually copper and softer than the brass used today so a larger surface firing pin could still dent it enough for ignition. The Henry and Winchester 1866 in 44 rimfire had a dual firing pin.

Last edited by GeneB; 07/01/20.

Gene
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So what ammo to feed these? Cci standard velocity?

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That would be a good choice. Std velocity is better than High velocity for accuracy in most cases.

Also https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/ is running a special on Eley Action, 300 rds (6x50 rd bxs) for $16.50. I have not tried it yet. Reported to be equal or better than the CCI Std.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
WoW, thanks for sharing that Rick! I hadn't heard of most of those Eley 22 LR variations, I've been out of touch!

I've had great luck with Aguila 38g HP and 40g subsonic (1030- 1040 fps), in all manner of 22 rifles. It was always real consistent stuff for a nickel per round. Eley has those now, but they 8-10 cents per-"pew" (I'd bet a brick they are still made in Mexico by Aguila). That's as much as Lapua Center-X and Tennex used cost me, which were always very consistent too.

Just ordered some Eley Action From Kilough's; 7 cents ea with shipping. I'll report in with ammo results sometime later this summer.

Last edited by JeffG; 07/02/20.

JeffG

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 85 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.