Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Garlic green beans with sliced almonds on deck later this week next to a meatloaf.

What's the trick when cooking them to keep their fresh green color .

Mine turn out sorta darkish.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I cook them with a little salt in the water with several cloves of peeled garlic for about 15-20min until tender,then drain off the water and add a little real butter.Young tender ones usually stay green,but if they are getting old sometimes they turn a greenish brown color.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Denny, if you want to keep them fresh looking, after cooking, blanch in boiling salted water for 1 minute & refresh in an ice bath, then do not over cook for your intended dish.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I'll try both of the above. Thanks gents.

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Roll them up in a good paper towel, about the size u can grab wit one hand ...or leg..lol... single layer , mist with butter bacon grease or oo , roll up and microwave, set the timer for 3m then work your way up till u like them ...omg.....the color the freshness.....uowemenow

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
If we're having company we blanche and ice bath them as stated above and then finish them in the steamer. If it's just the wife and I we just steam them as the bacon pieces and chopped onions are frying then we dump grease and all over the beans and enjoy. SO GOOD!!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a lot of the color has to do with the variety. I grow a lot of green beans, both for our use here at home, and for the market. The Romano, or Italian as some people call them, cook up much differently than does our old standby, White Half Runner beans. The Romano beans do not need nearly as much cooking. We cook them I guess what could be called Southern style, with salt, onion, pieces of ham, and butter. I also like them with new potatoes cooked with them.

I've seen people barely cook a green bean, and it'd be very crunchy. I like mine cooked down quite a lot, but do like the Asian style green beans that are not cooked as much. There are a hundred ways to cook a green bean, and it all comes down to ones preference.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My preference is a couple pounds in the pressure cooker with onion slices and diced bacon for five minutes. Slather with butter when on the plate.

That's dinner.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
My preference is a couple pounds in the pressure cooker with onion slices and diced bacon for five minutes. Slather with butter when on the plate.

That's dinner.

Still have great color ?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Agree with blanching, then ice bath. Then roll in paper towel to dry. Get skillet/cast iron smoking hot and saute them real quick in bacon grease, butter, avocado oil, whatever you've got. Add shallots, thin sliced garlic, nuts, whatever you fancy. Finish with some high quality fat. Super green, slight crunch, full of deliciousness.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Agree with blanching, then ice bath. Then roll in paper towel to dry. Get skillet/cast iron smoking hot and saute them real quick in bacon grease, butter, avocado oil, whatever you've got. Add shallots, thin sliced garlic, nuts, whatever you fancy. Finish with some high quality fat. Super green, slight crunch, full of deliciousness.

A squeeze of lime, dash of red pepper flakes, fresh herbs.......

All good.

Sean
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Toss in big bowl with EVOO and garlic powder. Roast in 40p* oven until *almost* done.

Serve. S&P to taste.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

yep. that's the way

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,471
Posts18,451,724
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.