Fück Joe byron
BP-B2

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Mike Odin wants me to bring a .375 H&H and 300 grain Barnes triple-shock. Another guide whose web site I visited says .338 Win. Mag. minimum.

Tarquin
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nah, those guys don't know. You need something 20mm or bigger to kill one of those BIG bears. Turret mounted.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I'm going with .338 Norma Mag and a Barnes bullet

Just a guess: That’ll work.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just show up with a 6.5 Creedmoor and your guide will be happy

IC B2

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Nah, those guys don't know. You need something 20mm or bigger to kill one of those BIG bears. Turret mounted.

Do you need that belt fed or is a single shot OK?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ATC
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Do you need that belt fed or is a single shot OK?

Depends on who your gun bearers are.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Whatever rifle you choose, don't just know how to shoot it well, also know or learn how to manipulate it properly. For instance, carry it in a manner that you can get it into action quickly and be able to reload fast. Have ammo accessible regardless of what layers you happen to be wearing . Also be sure to run the thing properly, as in keep the stock mated to your face and shoulder while you run the bolt. Properly done you kill him with the first shot and prevent tracking with the follow-ups.

Last edited by pabucktail; 06/29/20.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
have taken 3 bears in Alaska using my Weatherby 300 mag using a 220 grain rpbt placed the bullet right down they went

Retarded,Rich,Famous
Hunting,Target Shooting,Women
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by kolofardos

Loaded with 147 ELD-M and a Hubble scope and you're golden . . .

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The legendary "Big Nan" and Julie Waugh's .358 Winchester, two famous Alaskan rifles. Down the street from me was a fine old gentlemen named David Thorton and he owned the Brown Bear Gun Shop and Museum. Sadly he passed years ago and his interesting place sits closed.

I used to stop in there frequently to chat and one day he said. " you need to see this". He pulled "Big Nan" out of his display case and he even had the seal skin scabbard with it. He then proceeded to show me the Mod. 70 in .358 Winchester. They were both good sound rifles, made famous by a famous Alaskan guide. It is no secret I am a Mod. 70 guy and David knew this. I did not ask David how he came to acquire them and if me old memory is correct they were in a Fairbanks museum for years. I do know I liked holding a piece of history and wonder where they ended up.

I could never understand why Hal's .375 Weatherby split stocks like it did. Surely gunsmiths have been successfully bedding wooden stocks to them since their inception. One of life's mysteries?

I seem to remember Hal stating in one of his books that the .338 Winny did not impress him. At least I think it was him that stated that, unless it was one of the P&T guys. I find that odd as it has been my "go to" caliber for almost all of my mediocre 55 year Alaskan hunting career. Combined with 250 grain Nosler Partitions and later 250 and 225 grain Barnes X bullets I experienced good results.

I have two of the books written about Hal Waugh and I really enjoy the old stories, I have not looked at them in years, but will read them again this winter. I hope Phil posts a couple of pictures of the "Big Nan" he is making up.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by kolofardos

Loaded with 147 ELD-M and a Hubble scope and you're golden . . .

laugh grin

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by Tejano
Hal Waugh the first Master Guide in AK had a beautiful mannlicher .358 Win. that he shot some bears with. His mainstay was a 375 Weatherby which he went through three different stocks with before adding a second recoil lug.

My choice would be the 375 H&H but if I was buying it would be the 9.3x64 for more magazine capacity and lower recoil/lighter rifle. The 35 Whelen would be good for the same reasons, this would include the 338-06 with good bullets too.

I am in the process of duplicating Hal Waugh's 375 Weatherby M70 "Big Nan" for the APHA banquet this coming Dec. I think Hal claimed he went through 6 stocks, and don't know who did his stockwork but this 1948 version I am stocking does have an additional recoil lug and will be glassbedded as who ever get ps it will be able to use it.

And Hal did like the little 358 Win, and one of my guides brought his over one season and carried it. It certainly is a valid choice.

I read an article you wrote for the APHA magazine on that rifle. Cool project.

Arcus Venator
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
This guy wants me to use an AR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqsp_JCuUe8&t=2s

Tarquin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is because he sells them. And if that is what you like and you want to hunt with him then why not ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked with a guy long ago that had a .300 Win. Mag. made up for a Dall sheep hunt. It had a heavy 27 inch barrel and a big scope and weighed right at 12 pounds. He said it shot wonderfully. I don 't believe he ever got a sheep, but he tried hard and logged many a steep and wet mile on his hunt. We all be different and my high weight retaining Barnes X monos have always delivered, as did the Nosler Partitions.

I always thought a M1 Garrand made into a .35 Whelan would make a superb big bear gun, ain't like they ain't reliable. Just a bit heavy for my old butt. Might as well leave it so it can accept a bayonet just in case.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
30-06 with proper bullets will get you into the CNS without issue if you do your part. Anything short of a solid CNS hit does not guarantee immediate incapacitation. Velocity and 300 magnums don't add much from a charge stopping perspective. Inside of 20 yards a lower velocity round, such as the 30-06 is less likely to disintegrate on the skull and will put plenty of energy on target, even if you are pushing a 240 gr Woodleigh at lower velocities.

Of course, if you can handle an Anzio 20mm like it is an M4, go for it. There is no such thing as overkill when something is trying to kill you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarquin
This guy wants me to use an AR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqsp_JCuUe8&t=2s

Seems pretty pragmatic and there's no denying his wealth of experience but he lost me at 4x14x50 scope. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Makes some good points about cartridges and bullet construction. Not matter the platform, be very familiar with your rifle and put the first shot where it needs to be.

I certainly do not need a 10-12# rifle to shoot accurately. Fully realizing he may be guiding less experienced hunters.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Phil, you've not been shy about talking up the ole nine-three you've carried or the 358 one of your guides carried. That's purdy cool!

Though not a guide, as a subsistence hunter, the entirety of my hunting has been with both calibers.

I've not been able to distinguish the slightest difference in killing power between the two.

Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.