Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I think a trucker selling the lightweight gates told me there were two places in the same town in Kentucky that made, and sold gates.
He said they started with oak lumber gates using local sawmill lumber, and changed to steel tubing when farmers in the Midwest liked the steel better.

He also said they used a million dollar machine to make the tubing from sheet steel, buying tube steel would be too high priced.

He also said Jack Daniels whiskey was cheaper in Iowa, than Kentucky. laugh

I don't think I've seen a gate truck in 25 years.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Richard, we still have the trucks making the rounds down here, but a lot of cowmen soured on the real light gates as they crumple pretty easily.

The continuous fence panels are pretty popular now, as are the heavier gates available from all the farm stores.

For a while the hot thing was oilfield pipe and sucker rod, but don't see as much of that lately.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't miss the trucks, we can buy any quality gates from local stores.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've bought gates, corral panels, and round bale feeders off those trucks. There are two grades of them, and here we refer to the heavy gates as bull gates. The lighter weight gates, regardless of where they come from, won't stand up to a lot of abuse. However, I've had good luck with the heavier ones. Tarter is one of the companies here who make and sell gates and such. I was buying them off a gate truck that will take your order, then deliver it when they come through your area. Then, a local farm store started carrying them, and they will sell "seconds", which only have a scratch on the paint or a little dent, for a nice discount. That way I can buy a heavy gate for what a lighter one would cost.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
For a heavy gate, and they are that, the Sioux gates, and Farmmaster gates stand up well.

If you are made out of money, and the gate post will hold it, the Power River gates are rugged.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I think a trucker selling the lightweight gates told me there were two places in the same town in Kentucky that made, and sold gates.
He said they started with oak lumber gates using local sawmill lumber, and changed to steel tubing when farmers in the Midwest liked the steel better.

He also said they used a million dollar machine to make the tubing from sheet steel, buying tube steel would be too high priced.

He also said Jack Daniels whiskey was cheaper in Iowa, than Kentucky. laugh

I don't think I've seen a gate truck in 25 years.

The gates are made in Dunnville, KY, a wide spot in the road near the small town of Liberty. One family started the whole business, last name of Tarter. I am pretty certain the factories that are in Dunnville currently all sprang from that first family to start making them. At one time they were selling gates all over the US, and you can still see trucks loaded down with them rolling out of southern and central KY.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I remember the Kentucky gate trucks making the rounds of rural NW Illinois when I was a kid. Was always told the truck driver could not head home until he had sold all his gates. Makes sense. Do not see them these days, but a lot less livestock in that area now.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tarter is sold here at farm supply stores.
We have one on the road going into the cabin. Had one of the old galvanized "panel" gates go may as hell and didn't last 5 years. Tube steel is about all you see around here now.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gate factories are still a pretty big operation in Dunnville. They employ a lot of people in a very small community where there isn't much else.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
One of the interesting things about this place, you learn about most all North America.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The gate truck that I buy off of will deliver to you, if you call him and tell him what you want. He is a character, big Trump fan. I believe he'd talk politics all day if you'd let him.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
728 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.