And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So the Kronks may have gotten a bad rap, well ya learn something new every day. I think it was Fehrenbach who gives a description of them cooking and eating parts of a still-living prisoner, in front of the guy.

Way back East it seems to be an accepted truism that the Mohawks ate people, at least before the Eighteenth Century, and IIRC one of the things the backwood hick Ottawas hired by Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne in 1777 for the Saratoga Campaign did that appalled just everybody was boiling up and eating a prisoner.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
So the Kronks may have gotten a bad rap, well ya learn something new every day. I think it was Fehrenbach who gives a description of them cooking and eating parts of a still-living prisoner, in front of the guy.

Way back East it seems to be an accepted truism that the Mohawks ate people, at least before the Eighteenth Century, and IIRC one of the things the backwood hick Ottawas hired by Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne in 1777 for the Saratoga Campaign did that appalled just everybody was boiling up and eating a prisoner.

LOL! Read some references that many of the NE fellas like you mentioned took prisoners not for slaves, but for sustenance to get ‘em back home. Steele’s book Betrayals on the fall of Fort William Henry, after Montcalm release of the prosoners used the reference of les Sauvages walking in amongst them ( the prisoners) poking and prodding them, squeezing their arms and legs, while licking their lips and smacking their chops, all the while making moaning sounds of eating a delicious meal! 🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

LOL! Read some references that many of the NE fellas like you mentioned took prisoners not for slaves, but for sustenance to get ‘em back home. Steele’s book Betrayals on the fall of Fort William Henry, after Montcalm release of the prosoners used the reference of les Sauvages walking in amongst them ( the prisoners) poking and prodding them, squeezing their arms and legs, while licking their lips and smacking their chops, all the while making moaning sounds of eating a delicious meal! 🤣

I recall that account, and IIRC they eventually did eat the fattest prisoner.

But, turnabout is fair play, at least one Indian woman prisoner was killed by Robert Rogers hisself and eaten by him and his party on their hard retreat from the Saint Francis raid. A rotting scalped corpse was eaten raw by the famished men too IIRC. Several of Rogers' rangers were captured during that pursuit, and those is possession of human flesh summarily had their throats cut. Otherwise the captured rangers were treated surprisingly well for the most part.

A rotting corpse, raw, hard to imagine being that hungry.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I never cared much for the Tory Roberts. Pouchet handed him his azz in every up front engagement they were in. Roberts never got the upper hand on him.

Founder

WS

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Many stories of people secreting stuff in caves and such. Like Herman and his Winchester. Or the "longest range rifle I ever saw" that was taken from a buffalo hunter they ambushed.

I’ve posted this before, but I’ve often reflected on it’s history. Wondering of it’s past. Apparently it was found with a second rifle too. And from the explanation the other wss a longrifle (it was used as a toy and did not survive the antics of country children).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

German rifle by a Soligen maker. Found in a cave/shelter on the Perdenales River in the late 1920’s early 30’s. The finder was later killed in combat in Northern Italy during the war. An interesting old gun.

When I was still in Jr. high, I found the trigger (while metal detecting) that may have beloned to the other rifle. I have a photo of it somewhere. This was when we learned of the second rifle found. And at the same time learned of it’s fate.

At another location on a creek in the Pedernales watershed a Lefaunchex pinfire pocket pistol was fond by the same person. I will try to get a photo sometime of this relic!

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I found a photo of the trigger.

Single lever double set trigger

Founder

WS

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Really enjoying this thread and now have several books to add to my winter reading list.

I have Empire of the Summer Moon. It was a good enough read but seemed to me that it rambled at times. Plus, I think some chapters contradicted themselves regarding movements, battles, etc.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting rifle Kaywoodie!

I've read Lehmann's Book. Bought it at my wife's family Mund reunion auction in Fredericksburg. Her family still has the original 1846 property.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
1911A1,

One of my hunting pards from Llano county was contacted by a family member in Fritztown that had a pair of guns they wanted to sell. And they knew he was an indivitual interested in such things. Anyway he ended up with them both. A rifle (with a pillared breech for the Tigne bullet system!) and a smoothbore. They had come withe the family from Germany in 1846. I don’t think there were any descendants left in the family interested in such things. Here they are (both in impeccable condition!).

Im holding them at our annual Llano co. Hog hunt.

Rifle

Smoothbore

Founder

WS

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When you and Mike were at Eds campout i wish i had spent more time with yall. I didnt know you 2 were a treasure trove of Texas history. This has been a great thread and now im going to have to go to the library to find some more books. All you guys i got to meet at Ed's campouts i would love to see around another campfire.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Maybe sometime we can all get together again sometime Texczech. Those were fun times.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Maybe sometime we can all get together again sometime Texczech. Those were fun times.

That would be super cool! 🇨🇱😄

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
This is looking NNE from Cedar Mountain Llano Co. Texas. In the middle right of photo is the old Click family cabin. Dating back, oh I imagine to the 1860’s -70’s. The mountain middle left on horizon is Packsaddle mountain. From reading the book, Lehmann was involved in two fights in the vicinity of this mountain. Apparently the famous one where their bowstrings were wet and unable to shoot their bows.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/btp01

Sandy creek runs about the very middle of this photo from left to right.

The mountain on the far left are the Riley mountains. At the base of these mountains not far from the Honey Creek cemetery is the location of the old Los Almagre silver mine.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dkl05

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is looking NNE from Cedar Mountain Llano Co. Texas. In the middle right of photo is the old Click family cabin. Dating back, oh I imagine to the 1860’s -70’s. The mountain middle left on horizon is Packsaddle mountain. From reading the book, Lehmann was involved in two fights in the vicinity of this mountain. Apparently the famous one where their bowstrings were wet and unable to shoot their bows.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/btp01

Sandy creek runs about the very middle of this photo from left to right.

The mountain on the far left are the Riley mountains. At the base of these mountains not far from the Honey Creek cemetery is the location of the old Los Almagre silver mine.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dkl05

You do any diggin there Bob ? You could’ve been RICH ! 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
No. It’s on private property. And even back in the early teens there wasn’t much found there.

Now, where I took that picture. There allegedly is a place on that ranch where the locals used to mine lead. They cut it out of a hole in the side of the mountain with axes. And the covered the hole with a flat rock so ot wouldn’t cat h water. The ranchers dad ( who died in a private plane crash about 1947) had an old man out there once to look for the spot.

The old man was a young boy back in the 1860’s and said they would trespass on the place to get the lead. And it was his job to hold the horses and watch for people and I suppose hostiles too. Anyway there is an opd log cabin on this ranch down at the very south end of the place. Still there and rancher said he had Messkin folks in it back in the 60’s. But it's pretty run down now. Anyway the old man said he could see this cabin as well
As that one I mentioned earlier above. But the trees were all bigger and the country had changed so much he could not recognize anything

Now the cool thing was he still had several rifle balls they made out of that lead and he gave the ranchers dad a couple. They assayed close to 40% silver!

The boys and I always make a half ass adventure out of looking for the old mine, pigs, aoudads, and the elk that have showed up there!!! Another treasure story for you!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/01/20.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No. It’s on private property. And even back in the early teens there wasn’t much found there.

Now, where I took that picture. There allegedly is a place on that ranch where the locals used to mine lead. They cut it out of a hole in the side of the mountain with axes. And the covered the hole with a flat rock so ot wouldn’t cat h water. The ranchers dad ( who died in a private plane crash about 1947) had an old man out there once to look for the spot.

The old man was a young boy back in the 1860’s and said they would trespass on the place to get the lead. And it was his job to hold the horses and watch for people and I suppose hostiles too. Anyway there is an opd log cabin on this ranch down at the very south end of the place. Still there and rancher said he had Messkin folks in it back in the 60’s. But it's pretty run down now. Anyway the old man said he could see this cabin as well
As that one I mentioned earlier above. But the trees were all bigger and the country had changed so much he could not recognize anything

Now the cool thing was he still had several rifle balls they made out of that lead and he gave the ranchers dad a couple. They assayed close to 40% silver!

The boys and I always make a half ass adventure out of looking for the old mine, pigs, aoudads, and the elk that have showed up there!!! Another treasure story for you!!!

After all the years I’ve read about that Mine, and after reading J. Frank Dobie’s “Coronado’s Children” more times Than I care to count, I would have probably spent more time looking for the Mine than pigs & aoudads has I the opportunity to hunt there! 🤠

Seems like I remember reading something in Texas “Lore” about Comanches and Apaches casting round balls from silver because they had no lead. You ever read about that anywhere Bob ???

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/01/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Texczech
When you and Mike were at Eds campout i wish i had spent more time with yall. I didnt know you 2 were a treasure trove of Texas history. This has been a great thread and now im going to have to go to the library to find some more books. All you guys i got to meet at Ed's campouts i would love to see around another campfire.

All I did was read a bunch of books, Bob was actually there 😎

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Texczech

All I did was read a bunch of books, Bob was actually there 😎

That right there is funny Mike!👍🤗

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Dang!

40% silver is great but I can only imagine how many rattlers there are thereabouts.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.