Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I've used the old US military issue wool pants for hunting and they worked very well. Pair them with some silk or other lightweight long johns and they keep you nice and warm.

I agree. My Korean war Shirt is one of my favorites.
I thought the pants would be comparable. Looked a long time for them. Warm, Odorless, quiet and breathable are good qualities for letting white tail get close.
Yes, Sitting still at a stand can get cold without the right layers. One reason I got ticked off about the bugs is that I've worked hard to keep moths away from my vintage woolrich, bomber and Finnish jackets, Marino base layers and socks, alpaca clothes. That's why I don't normally buy used wool.

Plus, they make great insulation against propane heaters. Old timers here will understand...

How true, my Dad understood and made sure I learned that one day.
He caught his polyester clothes on fire working around a fire once. Fortunately he got them off before they got beyond second degree burns... maybe. The polyester sticks to skin like napalm. He mentioned it in passing. Then the teachable moment when a kid actually listens to dad, he showed me the burns. It would have put anyone else in a hospital. He and Grandpa were the toughest men I've known.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/30/20.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I bought 2 pairs of Swiss Military surplus dress pants and posted the review on Sportsman s Guide....3 other times. They don't want low scores. They want to sell these off.

There were 2 categories. One was 10 pairs used for $10. The other was what I ordered, 1 pair new unissued at $20.
Buyer Beware
I expect it to be deleted shortly like the last 3 reviews, so I kept this brief and thought I'd pass it on to anyone here thinking of buying wool hunting pants.
These are field/ dress pants of medium weight.
Good features, but Inseam is way too low, so I'll have to figure out how to adjust them.
Because of carpet beetle infestation, they got into my house! Had I known about the work and time involved to make them right, I would've sent them back immediately...not brought them in. They pass off used clothes as" like new ",NEVER ISSUED". Used to list , "New," until I complained. That is unacceptable. The management was notified. I decided to keep them because I think that the beetle issue has been dealt with. This fall, they'll be getting use.
Here's the link.

Go to Reviews.
Read: Fool Me Once.....Used, Carpet Beetles

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/swiss-military-surplus-dress-pants-like-new?a=2208351

OP

So you bought used probably 40 year old pants are unhappy they didn't live up to your expectations,? Im emailing your post to my wife so that the next time she wants to complain about me being cheap she can see that compared to some people I'm a regular Rockafeller

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, they were cheap and so am I much of the time.

I posted a bad review because,
A. They sold them as unissued. My category trousers.
B. The used and issued ones that were the same vintage were 10 for$10.
Probably because they had moth eggs and carpet beetles and lots of poison ivy like mine.

C. This was not the first time Sportsman Guide has done this. They are making it a habit of passing off stuff they have trouble selling and mixing it with the orders.

D. I got fed up with them deleating my reviews that were honest not highest rated. They do this to fool us into a false impression of the descriptions they list.
They owe it to their good customers to be honest.
More than any money is the total waste of time and trouble....and possibly infecting my good stuff.

If anybody has issues, ask to talk with the manager. They've been good at correcting problems.
With the Kung flu, it's been just a pain to get an email response with customer service the last couple of months. Management has been gone too but back now.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/30/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Inseam too low." That is, because you have a giant American Jimmy Dog.
Everyone knows those Swiss boys are pantywaists.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have used wool forever. When my GI stuff wore out many years ago and I was working for outfitters in the fall and doing SAR stuff locally, I bought a set of Woolrich bibs. They lasted me 30 years, and I still use them occasionally, though I bought a new set from Filson. Pricey, but quality. I swear by wool , especially spending all day in the cold ass saddle or sitting in an ambush site looking for elks!

Last edited by troublesome82; 07/01/20.
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by slumlord
Get the British commando sweater too.

Ha! I’ve still got an old wooly pully around here somewhere I traded a Royal Marine commando out of on our way to Turkey for a NATO op.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Thinking something got turned around in your head... wink

Inseam too lows sounds like there is room going unused...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Thinking something got turned around in your head... wink

Inseam too lows sounds like there is room going unused...

This topic keeps coming up, so maybe it needs to be covered in detail for the younger crowd. Probably needs a thread all to itself, but I'll cover it here first.

Droopy Pants,
By Happy Camper

The reason for that description is that guys that don't wear suspenders, like me most of the time, want to know. Depending on the country, Older vintage pictures show family and soldiers of Europe wearing them with suspenders with the belt line high around the belly.

Perhaps there was some practical reason like needed space for the sidearm belt a little lower.

At some point, maybe 50s(?), the style started going toward the waist line just above the hips.

If you wear the older vintage pants at our normal beltline today's style, they will look like a lot of the younger dark tan crowd. Crotch just about the knees. This is the Wrap gangsta stylin' that likes to impress the homies by wrapping the droopies around the knees.

They got that style from their Punk bruhs in the prisons. It had nothing to do with how low they're hanging. It had to do with making themselves available to the homies for a pack of cigs... "Punk" isn't a term for your boy. It's slang for what they call a male whore in the prisons.

They aren't going to be climbing steep hills through the woods and stepping over logs.

As for the 2 pair of trousers. One was the "newer" vintage unissued wool dress pants lighter medium weight in XL. They had a lot of extra fabric, but that's better than not enough. But with extra layers they will work well.

High Noon and I think one of the other guys mentioned
The older green pair: someone here might know the age, was only size Large but were slightly bigger than the XL...especially waist to crotch....to be worn higher with suspenders. Once I figure out my Dad's sewing machine, I'll Taylor it right. I probably should have gone with medium...but you can make something smaller easier than adding cloth. Not that it matters to anyone, unless you are going to get a pair from one of the other vendors listed by others in this thread.
You stand hunters and horseback are right. It's hard to beat this good old mil surplus. The green ones are a good half pound heavier and comfortable.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/01/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use mil wool pants for cold weather hunting. Don't care what color or country of origin. Try them on and inspect them in the store. I buy them too large and wear suspenders. After enough washing to remove the moth ball odor, they shrink up to fit and tighten up the weave of the fabric. Best over pants at the best value there are.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I put some of my wool with a box of moth balls in a bag. Does it take much washing or rinsing to get that odor out completely? The game have a keen sense of smell....

The pants, hats, jackets etc. are in the deep freeze. Then I put them in the hot car and back again.
A guy from Weather Wool company told me they do that. Said that in theory its supposed to work. Time will tell I guess.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Yes, they were cheap and so am I much of the time.

I posted a bad review because,
A. They sold them as unissued. My category trousers.
B. The used and issued ones that were the same vintage were 10 for$10.
Probably because they had moth eggs and carpet beetles and lots of poison ivy like mine.

C. This was not the first time Sportsman Guide has done this. They are making it a habit of passing off stuff they have trouble selling and mixing it with the orders.

D. I got fed up with them deleating my reviews that were honest not highest rated. They do this to fool us into a false impression of the descriptions they list.
They owe it to their good customers to be honest.
More than any money is the total waste of time and trouble....and possibly infecting my good stuff.

If anybody has issues, ask to talk with the manager. They've been good at correcting problems.
With the Kung flu, it's been just a pain to get an email response with customer service the last couple of months. Management has been gone too but back now.

I rate this personal emergency right up there with the missing Hornady Die Box Label thread. whistle grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No emergency. Just a bad review posted to caution others who shop Sportsmans guide. I think alot of us here have. SG deletes most negative reviews.
If someone else here bought an unissued blanket that turned out to give them a case of poison ivy or smallpox, others might want to know. SG needs to be held accountable at least with a gripe to their potential customers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info. They have been sending me their catalogs. I don't like them deleting reviews.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the warmest clothes I ever wore were the Surplus Swiss arm field pants I used when I first started getting serious about elk hunting. With just about any long johns under them I could sit in 2-3 feet of snow in single digit weather and wind and keep warm all day long. Hated to give up on them, but I "outgrew" them and never did find another pair that fit as well. Also, they were a bit warm for hiking around in those conditions....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Not into carpet beetles.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL!!!
NO, Can't touch that!
I wouldn't call Hammer a punk, but I guess that makes him look cooler than wearing those under his arms..... maybe?

Couldnt post this pick. But the guy with the pop bottle was stylin' Pre-1980s....
https://www.pinterest.com/gracemonteith/mens-1940s/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Are you claiming to have gotten poison ivy from these pants? I have seen you mention this a couple times in your replies but dont recall reading it in the original complaint.

If that’s what you are claiming I think it’s highly hilarious and also complete bullschit.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
Some of the warmest clothes I ever wore were the Surplus Swiss arm field pants I used when I first started getting serious about elk hunting. With just about any long johns under them I could sit in 2-3 feet of snow in single digit weather and wind and keep warm all day long. Hated to give up on them, but I "outgrew" them and never did find another pair that fit as well. Also, they were a bit warm for hiking around in those conditions....

Bob

If you can wear XL, they were as advertised. Just the one pair. I'd suggest opening the box outside until you are sure they're ok....if you decide to give them a try. I hear they are harder to come by. Those aren't the heavyweights, but I wouldn't say they're not going to be warm. Medium, but heavier than slacks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.