Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
If you work up some fish, you’ll thank me big Dave

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the image Jud.

That looks like the perfect blade profile for a fillet.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Appreciate the thoughts fellas. Haven't had time to post much recently, but as Jud said, I'm still around

I typically look to grind the big fillets with some flex starting about half way up the grind. I generally leave some spine at the back half of the blade. Commercial guys seem to prefer the grind this way as it gives some control without being tiring. I believe Phil grinds a damned fine fillet which are likely every bit as good or better than mine. These hurt hell outa my arthritis but I can be talked into one on an occasional basis. Stay fairly busy these days and unfortunately the waiting list is longer than it should be, but if a fella isn't in a rush, I will happily build ya one eventually.

Last edited by mtnman1; 04/17/20.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't been "hanging out" with anyone...

But if you're not as goofy as you appear on this thread, you can look back to the posts and PM's I've helped you with to lift up from Doziers....AND look at the myriad threads I've posted the above...

[bleep] You....

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman
Heard of Phil before, never seen eithers work. Got any?

Yes...

Multiples of both.

All posted here in the past...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good grief, you grumpy bastard. A guy post a knife he is happy with (I love this fillet knife) and instead of either complimenting it, or ignoring the post because you have nothing positive to contribute, you go off on an odd tangent to compare it to something else. He's happy with his knife, that's ok. He doesn't need anyone's approval to be happy with his blade. And especially doesn't need goaded to compare it to another custom that is quite difficult and expensive to get your hands on like a Phil Wilson. Your suggestion comes off snobby (look at ME, I have a WILSON) and as if you are chitting on another makers work. The OP did not ask "What knife should I compare my new fillet knife to?" I never thought of you as that guy before. With that said, I could be wrong.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I still love my fillet knife... 😂😂😂
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice knife indeed. How you digging that Four Roses? Been on a bourbon tour since Covid hit and haven’t grabbed a bottle of that yet.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Good stuff, local store has 3 grades I believe, all great stuff!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sam's Club usually carries the Four Roses Small Batch and it's under $25 a bottle! Pretty good for the price point!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Judman,

Nice knife, looks like you have been giving it a workout. I have a similar one from Mike Miller that I used to clean a bunch of crappie last week.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Great looking knife indeed. I can vouch for the maker too. Dale is straight up and offers a superb product at a fair price. He has my respect. And yes, I do own several of Phil's knives as well. Phil is a long time friend of mine. Nice job Dale!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks, Much appreciated. Hope you and the family are staying safe and enjoying life.

Dale

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well Damnit, now you have me thinking I should maybe look into getting one of those.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC
Good grief, you grumpy bastard. A guy post a knife he is happy with (I love this fillet knife) and instead of either complimenting it, or ignoring the post because you have nothing positive to contribute, you go off on an odd tangent to compare it to something else. He's happy with his knife, that's ok. He doesn't need anyone's approval to be happy with his blade. And especially doesn't need goaded to compare it to another custom that is quite difficult and expensive to get your hands on like a Phil Wilson. Your suggestion comes off snobby (look at ME, I have a WILSON) and as if you are chitting on another makers work. The OP did not ask "What knife should I compare my new fillet knife to?" I never thought of you as that guy before. With that said, I could be wrong.

Gary,

Sorry you read the thread this way. You seem to be a lone ranger...
Thanks to those on the thread, and those offline, who gave me the feedback I was looking for.
I ordered a boning knife from Dale based on all your feedback.

Can't wait to get it!

(As a bonus, Dale tells me he's moving to Wyoming which will make us neighbors...hoping to have him up for a hunt...)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apologies... Guess I was in defense mode. The Fire can be a little hard to read at times.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Apologies... Guess I was in defense mode. The Fire can be a little hard to read at times.
You said what I was thinking when I read it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.